MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:56 am
I think in my opinion Akai needs to work close to develop more with Air. They are already acquainted and work well together. If Inmusic maje Braas and Strings etc fron what we already have it will sound great. No doubt in my mind!

Mini Grand, Velvet, Xpand 2, Hybrid 3, Loom etc are top notch. I wouldn't say Mini Grand is the best, because Keyscape is nuts, Eastwwest Pianos dope and True Pianos are top notch. But lets say a person that play piano just had mini grand, could they rock? Hell yes the person would be definitely good!

IMO Air keeps working with Akai we will see some great stuff. Just gotta be patient.

Peace
By klaas.vanderweij Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:20 pm
I'm using the MPC-X in a live setting and I'm trying to build a set of about an hour. The addition of the synths now means that I won't need as much (of the sparce) space for samples, which is great. However, the number of synths/plugins is limited to 8, which is not enough sounds for an hour long set.

Now, all the parameters of the synths are automatable so technically it should be possible to re-use a synth for multiple sounds by just tweaking all parameters - or loading a different preset. Is such a thing possible in the 2.3 software? Loading a different preset via automation? Or alternatively persist all parameters of a synth to the sequence so I can change the whole sound of the synth?

If this doesn't exist yet, it would be an easily implementable feature to lift the MPC to a fully fledged groovebox.
Bymember04959388 Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:43 pm
klaas.vanderweij wrote:I'm using the MPC-X in a live setting and I'm trying to build a set of about an hour. The addition of the synths now means that I won't need as much (of the sparce) space for samples, which is great. However, the number of synths/plugins is limited to 8, which is not enough sounds for an hour long set.

Now, all the parameters of the synths are automatable so technically it should be possible to re-use a synth for multiple sounds by just tweaking all parameters - or loading a different preset. Is such a thing possible in the 2.3 software? Loading a different preset via automation? Or alternatively persist all parameters of a synth to the sequence so I can change the whole sound of the synth?

If this doesn't exist yet, it would be an easily implementable feature to lift the MPC to a fully fledged groovebox.

Do you try to make a whole live set in just one sequence?
Its a big challenge, my friend, to load all samples and settings in one sequence or even in more sequences.
I just gave up.
I use different projects and put some external samples or sample in real time to have time to load next project.
By mrcrappypantson Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:18 am
is anyone who liked these synths right away still liking them? I haven’t powered up my Live since I started this thread.
By klaas.vanderweij Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:16 pm
I still like the synths, it's a great addition to the sampler functionality.

Beside the X, I use a Korg EM-X 1 groovebox on which I can build hours of material with quite limited sound. I hoped that the X would fill in the gap - soundwise. I can manage building a set out of a few dozen sequences, the X is however limited is memory so these synth are somewhat of a solution. Maybe my demand doesn't really match the X's capabilities, sadly I've yet to find a good sounding groovebox with sampler & synths.
By Eyalc Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:59 pm
For an "in-the-MPC" solution they are good to have, but from a pure usability perspective they are just ok IMO. However my opinion of AIR products is jaded because I've spent years building my arsenal of VSTi's, and AIR products never sounded that great in comparison to those I use regularly (NI, Spectrasonics, Roland). So, I only use the AIR products when I HAVE to, just to get an idea down. But I always replace the AIR stuff with one of the VSTi's I mentioned above when it comes to tracking and mixing.
Bymember04959388 Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:56 pm
Eyalc wrote:For an "in-the-MPC" solution they are good to have, but from a pure usability perspective they are just ok IMO. However my opinion of AIR products is jaded because I've spent years building my arsenal of VSTi's, and AIR products never sounded that great in comparison to those I use regularly (NI, Spectrasonics, Roland). So, I only use the AIR products when I HAVE to, just to get an idea down. But I always replace the AIR stuff with one of the VSTi's I mentioned above when it comes to tracking and mixing.

I dont agree at all.
Air fx and synths on Pro Tools sound great to my ears. Very detailed.
By Bezo Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:53 pm
Danoc wrote:I think in my opinion Akai needs to work close to develop more with Air. They are already acquainted and work well together. If Inmusic maje Braas and Strings etc fron what we already have it will sound great. No doubt in my mind!

Mini Grand, Velvet, Xpand 2, Hybrid 3, Loom etc are top notch. I wouldn't say Mini Grand is the best, because Keyscape is nuts, Eastwwest Pianos dope and True Pianos are top notch. But lets say a person that play piano just had mini grand, could they rock? Hell yes the person would be definitely good!

IMO Air keeps working with Akai we will see some great stuff. Just gotta be patient.

Peace
Agreed!

I'd expect the quality to drop off from the original versions of the plugins. Personally, I'd be happy with quality good enough to write/sequence with from any additions, which is what I rely on stand alone mode for. Anything good enough to make final production would be gravy.
Bymember04959388 Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:59 pm
Yes we need professional effects.
Reverbs and modulations are just toys at the moment.
The others are ok for me.
By Eyalc Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:58 pm
Frisbi wrote:
Eyalc wrote:For an "in-the-MPC" solution they are good to have, but from a pure usability perspective they are just ok IMO. However my opinion of AIR products is jaded because I've spent years building my arsenal of VSTi's, and AIR products never sounded that great in comparison to those I use regularly (NI, Spectrasonics, Roland). So, I only use the AIR products when I HAVE to, just to get an idea down. But I always replace the AIR stuff with one of the VSTi's I mentioned above when it comes to tracking and mixing.

I dont agree at all.
Air fx and synths on Pro Tools sound great to my ears. Very detailed.

That’s a good thing for you then. Hope for you (and others) that they add some of the Air fx in standalone too (after fixing some things more critical that aren’t working right). I wouldn’t use them, but hope that they include them for those of you that do.
By Danoc Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:29 am
Air Quality synths are on point and these were the sounds that were put into Protool and countless hits.
1. Xpand has quality
2. Hybrid 3 top quality
3. Mini Grand is a top notch piano no doubt.
4. Velvet is the dopest joint
5. Riser, if you ever needed efx risers all you would need is this.
Etc.
The 3 new ones are sweet. It depends on ones taste.
But l think they can get better. I would buy into it.

Peace
By CharlesRandolph Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:44 am
I have to agree with Eylac on this one. Air products for me were always used for skeleton ideas. I prefer Vienna Symphonic, Galaxy-Instruments, Garritan, EastWest, ProjectSAM, and others when I'm not using instrument I personally record.
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:09 am
I like the idea of the mpc having a meat and potatoes mono and even the poly synth.. pretty standard stuff like that makes sense. The rhodes one though... that seems way more particular. I could have not had that one and been happy... almost every beat needs some sort of bass injected into it unless you sampled one, but one in a hundred (or maybe a thousand) beats might have a rhodes thrown in that wasn't a part of the sample... and i would probably not pick that one if that was the case.
By Danoc Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:59 am
I have Eastwest Complete Composers Collection. I have some Garritan also.
But the Air instruments have been proven years ago as top notch. Hence as l said before used in some hits. They can actucally be used in a record and go. Trap music forget about it, Xpand 2 and Hybrid 3 which was improved is used in trap music.

CharlesRandolph wrote:I have to agree with Eylac on this one. Air products for me were always used for skeleton ideas. I prefer Vienna Symphonic, Galaxy-Instruments, Garritan, EastWest, ProjectSAM, and others when I'm not using instrument I personally record.