MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Zack Zerox Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:01 pm
Hi

Just wanting to check the status of midi control mapping for standalone in 2.3

From my experiments so far:

- still no global assignments (so no sequence select, transport etc)
- keygroup programs limited to mixer (vol, pan, mute, solo, sends 1-4) or program (tuning and loop crossfade settings) - so I can't access say the existing filters
- drum programs limited to per-pad settings (mixer, as above; and program, which has masses of settings) - so while I can set up lots of control, I can't have say one encoder adjust the filter for a whole kit
-midi tracks limited to mixer (vol, pan, mute, solo, but no sends)

I'm aware that qlinks may allow some more of what I want to do, but I really struggle to remember what's what as they shift around depending on the visible mode.

What I'd like to set up is a nanokontrol 2 or beatstep pro with:
-track volume, mute, send, pan
-program filter control at least
-track select
-sequence select

How are people integrating other gear to maximise control of the Live? Are there some really obvious steps I'm missing? I've had a dig around for tutorials or tips, if anyone knows a good place to look I'm all ears!
Bymember04959388 Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:42 pm
Just set Qlink page to project mode, assign qlinks in a clever way and you have everything under control any time you want.
This is the way Mpc has always designed to.
It just needs that you use your intelligence.
By Zack Zerox Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:48 pm
Frisbi wrote:Just set Qlink page to project mode, assign qlinks in a clever way and you have everything under control any time you want.

Cheers, I will have a proper play with that.

Shame that (I think) q links are only controllable themselves in global, otherwise I'd have the 16 encoders on the BSP right there rather than banking through 4x4.
Last edited by Zack Zerox on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Zack Zerox Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:50 pm
kaydigi wrote:Send in a request for global midi learn, it’s the only way we will get it. They said we didn’t need pad shortcuts and finally we got. They have stated there are no plans for global midi learn in standalone, keep harrasing them!

I will! Seems very strange for Akai to decide against bringing that in... :hmmm:
By kaydigi Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:06 pm
Zack Zerox wrote:
kaydigi wrote:Send in a request for global midi learn, it’s the only way we will get it. They said we didn’t need pad shortcuts and finally we got. They have stated there are no plans for global midi learn in standalone, keep harrasing them!

I will! Seems very strange for Akai to decide against bringing that in... :hmmm:

It goes against the "if you can do it in the software, you can do it in the standalone" mantra LOL
By Caustic Yoda Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:48 pm
with external midi control you can control multiplute tracks with the one control eg filter on a bunch on drum pads, just assign controller to multiple items and it works, they need to ad global control to standalone badly tho
Bymember04959388 Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:18 pm
Frisbi wrote:Just set Qlink page to project mode, assign qlinks in a clever way and you have everything under control any time you want.

The easiest way is to use qlinks in screen mode when you edit and switch it to project mode when you play.
You hold Menu and push 1st pad and you are on qlink page and there you can switch between screen and project mode.
It is fast enough and you will get used to it.
By aortan Wed May 01, 2019 9:34 am
Is there any update on global midi learn for standalone?

Would be super nice to not have to set the controller up for every new project :shock:
By Caustic Yoda Thu May 02, 2019 2:30 am
we need this bad, at the very least some midi feedback over usb would be nice so we can see what external controllers are doing, i use akai midi mix for faders and knobs, works nice but mute buttons etc are useless with no midi feedback to light stuff up. akai havent responded to any feature requests ive sent via the app, they are a farce
By aortan Fri May 03, 2019 9:30 pm
But just to double check:

I have bought an 8 track midi mixer (nano kontrol studio), and I want to map it’s 8 faders to drum program 1-8 level, solo, and mute.

Is there no way of creating a reusable template of this?
By aortan Sat May 04, 2019 11:21 am
to clarify, i’d like to use it’s faders to control the volume/solo/mute, of whatever is assigned to midi track 1-8.

Pretty much just like how you’d use an ordinary mixer.
By wavejockey Sun May 05, 2019 8:12 am
if you assign all controllers, save as a template and use that as a starting point on all projects, then surely all controls you mapped earlier are found/assigned as before?
By aortan Mon May 06, 2019 6:30 pm
tiger001 wrote:if you assign all controllers, save as a template and use that as a starting point on all projects, then surely all controls you mapped earlier are found/assigned as before?

Yes that would be amazing, I tried to solve it and this is the best I could come up with:

• Create empty template project
• Create empty drum programs 1-8.
• Assign drum program 1-8 to fader/mute/solo of MIDI mixer.
• Done

But what happens when I want to load my favorite sample pack on track 1, instead of the empty drum program? Or if I want to bring in a keygroup synth on track 2? Then I'd have to redo the entire MIDI-assignment for those tracks, right?

Or is there some kind of workaround so that the MIDI-controller can simply map to the volume/mute/solo of track 1-8, independent of what that track contains?