MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By zangetsu01 Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:17 pm
As the title says..

1) How do you solo multiple tracks? When I hit the solo button on one track (MPC X) and go to another track the new selected track goes solo and the previous one gets unsolo-ed.

In Track View mode the same results..

2) The read/write button: Default is read and when I push it, it goes to write. And sometimes when I push it again it disables. But not always?? Is it supposed to behave like that?

3) not sure if it's a bug in pad-shortcut mode but when you hold down the menu button and try to push the pads, it will take you to the assigned modes. As long as you hold down the menu button you can continue to jump between modes. That is until you get to the midi control mode. Once you get there it will stop working.
By 40Beatz Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:48 pm
Solo = One.
You can Mute all tracks but one, then Toggle which Tracks you want to be active in the Track View Page
By zangetsu01 Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:17 pm
40Beatz wrote:Solo = One.
You can Mute all tracks but one, then Toggle which Tracks you want to be active in the Track View Page

That's indeed an option. But from a DAW perspective 'solo' isn't per definition 'one'. You can solo multiple tracks so you won't have to do this workaround.

But thanks for your answer I'll try it out when I get home.
By Bezo Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:16 pm
I'd vote for Solo NOT being limited to one track, but MPC heads may have a reason they like it like this. As is, it's a PITA and I don't see the benefit in the limitation.
By Mr36 Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:00 pm
Bezo wrote:I'd vote for Solo NOT being limited to one track, but MPC heads may have a reason they like it like this. As is, it's a PITA and I don't see the benefit in the limitation.

I think the option for exclusive solo or not would be very welcome. I'm also much more used to being able to "solo" multiple tracks.

zangetsu01 wrote:2) The read/write button: Default is read and when I push it, it goes to write. And sometimes when I push it again it disables. But not always?? Is it supposed to behave like that?

I think it just toggles between read and write when some automation exists (hold shift to disable), but will switch between read, write, and disabled when no automation exists.
By Icepulse Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:59 pm
MPC workflow involves scrolling through tracks, one at a time, to listen for areas that might need trimming or tweaking. When in the main screen, if you solo track 1, then play, as you scroll through each subsequent track, it auto solos the active track. This makes inspecting a sequence, track by track, easier.
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:21 pm
I have not had much chance to really dive into the automation on the live in standalone mode (which i never use the computer software at all) ... Let's say you record something like track mutes or solos from the main screen over the top of your beat.. (ie: by accident because you forgot about the green/red thing at the top of the screen) .. how do you edit that after? What is the best way to tweak it or make some additions/changes? When ever I do it by accident i just turn it off at the top of the screen or push undo if i catch it in time.. but let's say I liked the idea but want to change the spot the automation occurs... what is the way you would do that?
By zangetsu01 Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:04 pm
Icepulse wrote:MPC workflow involves scrolling through tracks, one at a time, to listen for areas that might need trimming or tweaking. When in the main screen, if you solo track 1, then play, as you scroll through each subsequent track, it auto solos the active track. This makes inspecting a sequence, track by track, easier.

I understand but sometimes (very often) the situation askes for a solo on two tracks or instruments simultainiously.. Modern DAWs do this flawlesly..
By saltmcgault Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:13 pm
mr_debauch wrote:I have not had much chance to really dive into the automation on the live in standalone mode (which i never use the computer software at all) ... Let's say you record something like track mutes or solos from the main screen over the top of your beat.. (ie: by accident because you forgot about the green/red thing at the top of the screen) .. how do you edit that after? What is the best way to tweak it or make some additions/changes? When ever I do it by accident i just turn it off at the top of the screen or push undo if i catch it in time.. but let's say I liked the idea but want to change the spot the automation occurs... what is the way you would do that?

I've done this many times. At the mainscreen hit mode pad "sequence edit" cant remember which pad it is im not in front of my 2500 pad 11, 14, or 15 look for the mute events and delete them. It drove me crazy at first when I didn't know wtf was going on :lol: