MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:59 pm
Peace,
I have just tried only the standalone approach to exporting.

I've seen there's a priblem with 24Bit a problem exporting from 16Bit to 24Bit or 24Bit to 24Bit.

I don't know what's going on but exporting to 24Bit WORKS FOR ME!

Here's what l have tested so far. I took a 1411/16Bit kick put it in the Live and exported it to 2116/24Bit. It works perfectly.
I also took a 24Bit kick and snare, exported them to 24Bit, and it works.
I also made a track and exported the wav file as 24bit and it worked.

Im trying to figure out if this is a bug for others or human error.

In the preferences On the live/X set your "RECORDING BIT DEPTH" to 24. Then set "BOUNCE BIT DEPTH" to 24.
When you export set it to 24bit and press save.

Now try to export sounds or tracks.

Who is having trouble with this?

By Danoc Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:40 pm
So l made up a track then bounced to audio track. So where did you see it say 16 bit at in the Live?
It sound exactly as l played it. No bit lost. I wouldn't be to worried about that when bouncing only exporting.
By Danoc Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:29 am
Is that audio editor outside the Live? Because if it is it should have exported to 24bit. As you said we're talking about bouncing inside the Live but the exporting is correct.

8 bit lost is not cool. Thats to much if its converting from 24 to 16 bit.
By zangetsu01 Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:58 am
Exporting works as it should. But lets just say you've got a CPU/Memory heavy VSTi loaded. And you wan't to save some system load and so you decide to bounce that instrument track to a sample. It will convert your 24 bit instrument to 16.

That's the problem.
By Danoc Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:26 pm
Watup Zang.

Ok l got what you're saying and that's wack. Akai needs to fix that.
But my main question is how do you know its converted to 16bit from 24bit? Are you seeing this INSIDE the Live/X? My point is exporting, as long as l am exporting to 24bit and that works lm good. Wondering do others feel the same as l do.

My thing is where are you guys getting this info that 24bit is converted into 16bit from. Is it telling you that inside the MPCs or an outside source? If its an outside source you should of been able to convert to 24bit.

Last night l used the new synth in standalone to make a track and l turned it to audio tracks and played back the audio and it sounded great. I wasn't able to see no where in the MPC live whete it said it was 16bit. I exported it to 24bit and dropped it into Reason 10 and it sounded great. I just want to see where inside the Live you can see a sound was turned into a 16bit.
By MPC-Tutor Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:44 pm
Afte bouncing to sample or audio track, save the sample (or project) and open the wav file in any third party audio editor. It will show it is 16 bit. Same with creating a chopped program, save the program and open the wavs in an editor to discover they are 16 bit.

So, currently bouncing an audio track makes it 16 bit. Exporting that audio track into 24 bit is not creating true 24 bit file, as it got dithered down first while inside the mpc.
By zangetsu01 Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:00 pm
Danoc wrote:Watup Zang.

But my main question is how do you know its converted to 16bit from 24bit? Are you seeing this INSIDE the Live/X? My point is exporting, as long as l am exporting to 24bit and that works lm good. Wondering do others feel the same as l do.

My thing is where are you guys getting this info that 24bit is converted into 16bit from. Is it telling you that inside the MPCs or an outside source? If its an outside source you should of been able to convert to 24bit.

Last night l used the new synth in standalone to make a track and l turned it to audio tracks and played back the audio and it sounded great. I wasn't able to see no where in the MPC live whete it said it was 16bit. I exported it to 24bit and dropped it into Reason 10 and it sounded great. I just want to see where inside the Live you can see a sound was turned into a 16bit.

I'm cool man what up??

You can see that it's converted down to 16 bit by openig the file with a 3rd party audio player such as apples quicktime player, VLC media player or any other media player that allows you to view the file properties.
By smellypants Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:33 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:
Danoc wrote:Watup Zang.

I'm cool man what up??

You can see that it's converted down to 16 bit by openig the file with a 3rd party audio player such as apples quicktime player, VLC media player or any other media player that allows you to view the file properties.

If your on a Mac, you can also right click the file and select "Get Info".

It will tell you the bit depth and sample rate.
By Danoc Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:38 am
Ok gotcha. If Akai advertise 24bit all around they need to fix it.

I will still export to 24bit, cause when l bring in drums that are 24bit and use them they come up on the midi grid. Once l get the pattern l want l export as 24bit, l never bounce them to audio. So in that case l get true 24bit. No bouncing no bit lost. :smoker:

MPC-Tutor wrote:Afte bouncing to sample or audio track, save the sample (or project) and open the wav file in any third party audio editor. It will show it is 16 bit. Same with creating a chopped program, save the program and open the wavs in an editor to discover they are 16 bit.

So, currently bouncing an audio track makes it 16 bit. Exporting that audio track into 24 bit is not creating true 24 bit file, as it got dithered down first while inside the mpc.
By Eyalc Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:05 am
Hate to the jerk in the room, but there’s no difference between 16 and 24 bit when listening through speakers or headphones. The difference is only in the dynamic range that can be processed. This isn’t opinion, it’s mathematical fact. 24bit exporting and bouncing, and overall work in an MPC project is important for dynamic range and processing, nothing more. 24 bit doesn’t produce better sound quality. It will sound just as good as 16 bit to us humans. Going the opposite direction, down to 8bit for example, you’ll definitely notice. To my knowledge there’s never been an audio system (pro studios audio included) that gives more than 20 bits of signal. You get less if you’re using headphones.

All that being said, this is an issue that needs fixed quickly. Half of my sample library is 24bit. But when I load into the MPC, my understanding is that it’s dithered down to 16bit. Therefore, it doesn’t really matter that I export to 24bit - that dynamic range data has been lost in the conversion down. Correct me if I’m wrong about my understanding. But either way, it needs fixed.

Consider this text from head-fi.org, just for educational purposes. They’ve debated and proved and debated and proved this theory for a LONG time.

So, 24bit does add more 'resolution' compared to 16bit but this added resolution doesn't mean higher quality, it just means we can encode a larger dynamic range. This is the misunderstanding made by many. There are no extra magical properties, nothing which the science does not understand or cannot measure. The only difference between 16bit and 24bit is 48dB of dynamic range (8bits x 6dB = 48dB) and nothing else. This is not a question for interpretation or opinion, it is the provable, undisputed logical mathematics which underpins the very existence of digital audio.

So, can you actually hear any benefits of the larger (48dB) dynamic range offered by 24bit? Unfortunately, no you can't. The entire dynamic range of some types of music is sometimes less than 12dB. The recordings with the largest dynamic range tend to be symphony orchestra recordings but even these virtually never have a dynamic range greater than about 60dB. All of these are well inside the 96dB range of the humble CD. What is more, modern dithering techniques (see 3 below), perceptually enhance the dynamic range of CD by moving the quantisation noise out of the frequency band where our hearing is most sensitive. This gives a percievable dynamic range for CD up to 120dB (150dB in certain frequency bands).
—-
By Danoc Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:20 am
lf you load a kick that is 24 bit it will stay 24 bit because you're only loading that kick there isn't any processing going on. When tou BOUNCE to sample or to audio is where the processing happens and you go from 24 to 16 bit. If l never bounce and just export 24bit will be 24bit.