MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Caustic Yoda Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:51 am
by the time i track out my songs properly any other musician involved has finished written their parts to the guide version and it has usually been perfomed live at least a few times before its at this stage, the midi notes are always available inside the mpc if you need to go change anything that drastically but usually when its time to print the song i do the arrangment as a live perfomance which usually cant be recorded via midi due to stopping and starting the internal sequencer as part of the performance so a live audio track out is prefered and any tweaks can be done from there as all pads are on separate tracks
By CharlesRandolph Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:56 am
Caustic Yoda wrote:by the time i track out my songs properly any other musician involved has finished written their parts to the guide version and it has usually been perfomed live at least a few times before its at this stage, the midi notes are always available inside the mpc if you need to go change anything that drastically but usually when its time to print the song i do the arrangment as a live perfomance which usually cant be recorded via midi due to stopping and starting the internal sequencer as part of the performance so a live audio track out is prefered and any tweaks can be done from there as all pads are on separate tracks

The way you route in controller mode, I wish the MPC would have that many outputs in standalone.
By NearTao Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:10 pm
I have to say, to each his own... I've got a DJ buddy that I keep trying to teach how to think "MPC" when we work on content. He's totally in the moment though, and expects me to make his takes sound better later. Honestly though, I do get Caustic's point of view... if you can record straight to midi and have something that is good enough than why not. Sure, there's a lot more power under the hood, but if it is good enough, then it's all cool to ignore it.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:28 pm
Caustic is working with direct audio and has the ability to keep his sounds separate. I do the same when live tracking, but in order for me to do this. I prefer to have as many direct outs as audio tracks. Therefore if I use 64 tracks, I want 64 independent outs. In standalone not controller mode.

However since the MPC does not offer that in standalone. Exporting every track separately is the only options, that does not require, tracking out 8 sounds at a time. Unless you want to use 8 MPC's. :nod: In this day and age, there is no way the MPC's should only have, 6 to 8 direct outs. These machines should be pushing 16 to 32 direct out over USB 3.
By Bezo Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:41 pm
Seems like I'm the only one here, but support for multi-output VSTs would go a long way for me.

In a DAW, I've always recording all MIDI drums on one MIDI track but routed the audio to separate tracks. Best of both worlds; neat & tidy, yet flexible. I'll be able to duplicate this workflow once I get around to auto sampling some kits.

Curently with the MPC, I print everything else to audio except drums. Drums have to wait until I get everything in Logic, where I do my mixing. I print drum audio just prior to mixing.

C'mon Akai! Let's get this supported. Your own plugin is multi-output.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:28 am
Caustic Yoda wrote:there is 32 outs over usb, need to be in controller mode tho for this to work which is a pain, 64 would be even better tho

In Standalone: 16 Direct inputs and 16 Direct outputs and 8 Midi inputs and 8 Midi Outputs. :-D
By CharlesRandolph Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:03 am
Bezo wrote:Seems like I'm the only one here, but support for multi-output VSTs would go a long way for me.

In a DAW, I've always recording all MIDI drums on one MIDI track but routed the audio to separate tracks. Best of both worlds; neat & tidy, yet flexible. I'll be able to duplicate this workflow once I get around to auto sampling some kits.

Curently with the MPC, I print everything else to audio except drums. Drums have to wait until I get everything in Logic, where I do my mixing. I print drum audio just prior to mixing.

My only issue with recording everything to one MIDI Tracks, is when you need to export parts for sheet music. I separate all Midi Track so I can export the notation for single instruments. :nod: This way I only have to do the work once.
By Danoc Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:27 am
l would never record everything to one midi track :WTF: That was a nightmare when l first started using the MPC 2000XL.

When l export everything separate and bring it into my DAW its nice and neat. :-D
By Elektrobolt Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:55 pm
Maybe I misunderstood the title, but...

I like the idea of being able to export/import individual Pads (rather than Programs). Is this possible?
By Bezo Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:17 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Bezo wrote:Seems like I'm the only one here, but support for multi-output VSTs would go a long way for me.

My only issue with recording everything to one MIDI Tracks, is when you need to export parts for sheet music. I separate all Midi Track so I can export the notation for single instruments. :nod: This way I only have to do the work once.
I was only referring to drums. I program all kit pieces on 1 MIDI track.

I would NEVER put multiple instruments on a single MIDI track, unless we're referring to drum kit pieces as separate instruments. And I'm sure a drummer would appreciate all kit pieces on 1 staff.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:53 pm
Bezo wrote:I would NEVER put multiple instruments on a single MIDI track, unless we're referring to drum kit pieces as separate instruments. And I'm sure a drummer would appreciate all kit pieces on 1 staff.

I just re-read your post and you did say MIDI drum. Somehow my eye skipped over the word, drum and went straight to MIDI track. I retract my previous statement.