MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By cncptr1 Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:46 am
Hello forum!
Recently i bought an mpc x (coming from maschine)
I tried to use explode to get my drums separated but all i get is a track with the recorded program.
Is there any way to get my pads separated? I find it a little bit pointless to use different tracks/programs for just one snare,kick etc.

If there isnt anyway please pass that request to akai pls.

Thanks in advance!
By Danoc Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:07 am
explode only happens on the TRACK. Track 1 becomes muted.

Record your pattern then hit the pencil tool. hit Explode. On track 1 scroll through whatever the sounfs may be that you recorded.

I use this all the time to separate my drums.
By Danoc Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:09 pm
Another way to export from individual pads is go down to the PROGRAM tap the pad/sound you want, then tap the pencil icon and select SAVEAS andd it will save that sound to wherever you want.
By Lampdog Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:31 pm
cncptr1 wrote:I find it a little bit pointless to use different tracks/programs for just one snare,kick etc.

Reasoning for separation is for greater control of each sound. It makes sense.
By Caustic Yoda Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:21 pm
You dont have to separate on a per track basis, i make my whole song on one track but send pads to separate outputs and do a live recording in reaper via rearoute, this way i can send each pad to one of the 32 outs and group some if i want all parts of a chopped sample on one channel. to do this use controller mode and something like soundflower if on mac or rearoute on pc, open your daw and arm the inputs for each track and choose mpclive as daw soundcard, set mpc software sound card to rearoute/soundflower then you can send your pads to tracks on your daw, best way to track out, sounds the same where as song export/explode doesnt
By Danoc Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:06 am
Wouldn't say it's the best way to track out but another way to. Recording out a whole track kills time. I export out under less than 30 seconds even if l had 57 tracks all at once. I would never recommend soundflower in this age. That's a work around. :hmmm:
If what l understand what he presented whatl said he should go.
By Eyalc Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:48 am
Lampdog wrote:
cncptr1 wrote:I find it a little bit pointless to use different tracks/programs for just one snare,kick etc.

Reasoning for separation is for greater control of each sound. It makes sense.

^^ This.

OP -> If you want to this for a living, learn to do it this way. Writing, tracking and mixing.
By Caustic Yoda Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:57 am
I play my mpc live without any seq or only occasional seq so no need for any tracks really but it doesnt even matter when pads are on separate outputs, this way im also not connected to the transport of the mpc and record stoping starting sequences and live playing all in one pass. i dont need to edit it cuz i play it right is the theory, editing can be done on the audio tracks if necessary but i dont record the midi
By CharlesRandolph Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:37 pm
I found working that way is great for working alone, but it lacks flexibility when working with other musicians/vocalist. Changing the key, tempo, altering sections, changing the arrangement, etc etc etc. Things tend to change once you start recording.

What sound good in theory, may not work sound good while recording. Also other people bring out things, we may not hear. So having the ability to change is important. (For me at least.)

This is the power of using sequences and midi.
By Eyalc Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:45 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:I found working that way is great for working alone, but it lacks flexibility when working with other musicians/vocalist. Changing the key, tempo, altering sections, changing the arrangement, etc etc etc. Things tend to change once you start recording.

What sound good in theory, may not work sound good while recording. Also other people bring out things, we may not hear. So having the ability to change is important. (For me at least.)

^ This for me as well. Producing a song for me means I have to make changes - lots of them - to the midi, arrangement, song structure, etc. No way I could produce a song without sequences and midi.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:21 pm
Eyalc wrote:^ This for me as well. Producing a song for me means I have to make changes - lots of them - to the midi, arrangement, song structure, etc. No way I could produce a song without sequences and midi.

100%. :nod: :nod: Lots of people think, ooh the band came in and finished everything in one or two takes. I said yeah, that's because they were on the road for the last 2 years performing, changing, rehearsing, performing, and changing those songs.

That is what is missing in today's music. Everyone trying to be one and done as fast as possible. Singers and Rappers, are trying to freestyle or say they don't write. I'm like yeah, I've seen that but imagine if they actually sat down, wrote, and made a full effort.

Tell me one great writer, painter, musician, poet, designer, architect, composer, scientist, mathematician, etc. Who did/does not change and revamp things? This is the reason I started building project studios. I was tired of not having the time to create, because I only 3 day blocks of studio time. People would say, you don't create in the studio. I'm like this is the best place to create. All the gear is here. :lol:

But to bring it back on topic: . Being able to export individual sounds, songs, midi note give us lots of rope, to hang ourselves, but as composers in the creative arts, we need that extra rope.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Danoc Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:22 am
Exactly! In the professional world when dealing with Cues depend on midi just in case as you saud you want to change a note or two and its easy. And instruments having their own tracks to mix.

CharlesRandolph wrote: