MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Thu May 16, 2019 7:24 pm
Don't you start that splice crap mang lol :lol:

CharlesRandolph wrote:
Danoc wrote:That's why l back things up. But lm only making drum patterns. I don't do entire songs in my Live. I use to on the 2000XL. I use Gorilla232gb USB stick. They are very reliable. But its all good

Yeah Drum Patterns do not take up much space. It's a shame you can't transfer the files via SPLICE FI. Excuse me, I mean via WIFI. :lol:
By Danoc Thu May 16, 2019 7:45 pm
Why do you think tracking out is better than exporting?
I beg to differ on that.
I can name a plethora of reasons it's not.
1. Time, its faster to export.
2. If l have 32 tracks l can export them simultaneously.
3. Very easy to do.
4. Chosing bit rate and resolution to the highest possible on the fly.
5. No wires required.
6. No noise floor, whatever you put in you get out.
7. I don't have to have multiple external Equipment to do this function.
The list goes on...

This type of technology l have been waiting on since the 2000XL. Tracking out on the 2000XL was a nightmare.

@FRISBI
By Rose le cowboy Fri May 17, 2019 5:18 am
Hi Tutor,

By midi tracks in this topic I mean midi tracks playing internal synth or kit.

Did you figure out how to route this kind of midi tracks playing internal audio sources (I don't mean routing the programms!) to one of the 32 out or the mpc plugin in controler mode ?

Hope you did. Such a pity to have spend 1999 bucks in order to record live the 6 outputs because the export function is c.r.a.p. (desynchronized individual tracks, audio artefacts, unpredictible bugs...).
By BeatWilson Fri May 17, 2019 6:01 am
I agree with Danoc. Exporting like this is what i dreamed about. I hate tracking out. Annoying and time consuming. Exporting is just better to toss in a DAW for me.
By Lampdog Fri May 17, 2019 3:26 pm
Danoc wrote:I export midi tracks all the time. I love exporting stems from standalone. Its really easy. If l have 15 tracks on track one l explode them to have their own tracks. Then l go to the exporting page and l export out. I set it to 24bit and choose explode again. Make a folder on my usb stick and put it in my desk top PC open my DAW , drag and drop into Reason and go!

Aiight so I have a problem with this. In general, I don't have an X or Live, but this can be suited to almost any machine. What you are exporting is an "audio track". Correct? If you set 24bit, then it's "audio".

I see/read lots of people blur the distinction often.
Drag and drop a "track" into DAW, midi from mpc, would require the mpc to be on an midi connected in order to trigger the sounds.

Drag and drop a "track" into DAW, audio from mpc, would not require anything else of the mpc.

Am I just wrong as **** here?
By Danoc Fri May 17, 2019 4:28 pm
I don't know if you can send midi tracks out while playing live out through tracking. I could be wrong. You have to set that up inside the MPC. And being midi is not audio it won't go out. Again I could be wrong, if someone can correct me that would be cool on your part.

You said exporting is crap? :hmmm: Artifacts? Desynchronized? :hmmm: I never experienced that. Bugs, ok, but I haven't experienced bugs either. Some have. Exporting has been a blessing. If you experienced crazy stuff while exporting, it's not the exporting, you probably have a bug or you're not exporting properly. :smoker:

Rose le cowboy wrote:Hi Tutor,

By midi tracks in this topic I mean midi tracks playing internal synth or kit.

Did you figure out how to route this kind of midi tracks playing internal audio sources (I don't mean routing the programms!) to one of the 32 out or the mpc plugin in controler mode ?

Hope you did. Such a pity to have spend 1999 bucks in order to record live the 6 outputs because the export function is c.r.a.p. (desynchronized individual tracks, audio artefacts, unpredictible bugs...).
By Danoc Fri May 17, 2019 4:42 pm
Let me see if I understand you right, let me know if I'm off.

1. I am exporting audio/midi tracks, on exporting it converts into AUDIO into a folder I made on my usb stick. What that is, I have an audio kick for example and drum it into the Live and it comes up as midi. I export and it will be audio.

2. Being my stems are audio I can then drag and drop them into my DAW, all I do is select the same tempo I did in the Live and Baaaaaaaaaaam! done! So when this is done it doesn't require anything from the MPC.

I don't know if you can bounce/export midi out and then drop midi into a DAW. I know I can Bounce midi out of Reason 10 and bring it into the Live.

Hope you understand.

Lampdog wrote:Aiight so I have a problem with this. In general, I don't have an X or Live, but this can be suited to almost any machine. What you are exporting is an "audio track". Correct? If you set 24bit, then it's "audio".

I see/read lots of people blur the distinction often.
Drag and drop a "track" into DAW, midi from mpc, would require the mpc to be on an midi connected in order to trigger the sounds.

Drag and drop a "track" into DAW, audio from mpc, would not require anything else of the mpc.

Am I just wrong as **** here?
By Lampdog Fri May 17, 2019 5:03 pm
1. Absolutely correct.

2. Absolutely correct.

2 1/2. Export midi file ".MID" and can be placed into any DAW or mpc but is only DATA, no sound. Yes, MPC can recognize MID files from other machines, I've dropped Roland R8, Boss Dr5, Reaper MID's into 2kxl and 4k works fine, just gotta remember to have those midi channels correct.

Below is how I've understood MID's for years.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/what-difference-between-midi-type-0-midi-type-1/

What’s the difference between MIDI Type 0 and MIDI Type 1 files?
Article #28008 Updated on Jun 22, 2017 at 4:55 PM

Type 1 files contain separate information for each track. For a Type 0 file, however, all the tracks are merged into a single track, although MIDI channel information is still retained. When a Type 0 file is loaded into a sequencer, it will take each channel’s information and put it on a separate track. So for a typical sequence with one track per MIDI channel, it will normally not matter if the sequence is saved as Type 0 or Type 1.
By CharlesRandolph Fri May 17, 2019 5:13 pm
Exporting maybe faster, but how much time does it actually save you? Does it make the music better? It will save you 10 to 15 minutes tops. You still have to mix, arrange, tweak, and listen back to the music. For me I track out everything in one pass, so a 4 minutes songs takes about 5 minutes to track out. (Due to Setup)

During that 5 minutes of tracking time, I'm taking notes on what to tweak in the mix or other ideas I want add to the music. I work with lots of live tracking production, and we spend an entire day just tracking the music. You want live horns, vocals, cuts, keys and so on for that human feel. Then that's the only way.

Now where exporting does help, is doing a the boring clerical work.
Backing up Stems and Converting to different file formats.
By CharlesRandolph Fri May 17, 2019 5:23 pm
@DANOC @LAMPDOG

I just had a session with Pianist, they played the full piece using a MIDI piano. They sent me the MIDI FILE and all I had to do was use quality piano sample sets. I love to do that! I send it back to them and they feel like they're playing in Carnegie Hall :lol:
By Lampdog Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:@DANOC @LAMPDOG
I just had a session with Pianist, they played the full piece using a MIDI piano. They sent me the MIDI FILE and all I had to do was use quality piano sample sets. I love to do that! I send it back to them and they feel like they're playing in Carnegie Hall :lol:

Yep. I've done this same thing before, less the professionalism, lol.
Sent friends MID files before too. They load it up in their MPC's and assign whatever bass/drums/ they like, and bam, it plays my sequence but their instruments.
By CharlesRandolph Fri May 17, 2019 7:40 pm
Lampdog wrote:Yep. I've done this same thing before, less the professionalism, lol.
Sent friends MID files before too. They load it up in their MPC's and assign whatever bass/drums/ they like, and bam, it plays my sequence but their instruments.

Yes, that is same exact approach and still one the best way to collaborate with musicians. For myself, exporting is important when, going to different studios. Not everyone used the same DAW Software, with the same effects and audio plug ins. So exporting .wav or .mid files is the best way.

Doing it that way, also free us from being reliant on proprietary O.S, software, and file formats.
By Lampdog Fri May 17, 2019 8:36 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:.....exporting is important when, going to different studios. Not everyone used the same DAW Software, with the same effects and audio plug ins. So exporting .wav or .mid files is the best way.

Doing it that way, also free us from being reliant on proprietary O.S, software, and file formats.

+1k
By Danoc Fri May 17, 2019 8:52 pm
@Lampdog.
Yes sir. Yes when importing midi there isnt a sound. When you import you just drag and drop into a midi lane then add sound to the preferred midi channel/Lane. What's dope is you can change the tempo to your liking without any artifacts.

@CharlesRandolph
When l export it takes seconds :-) Not minutes. Yes l will mix and what not but it doesnt take long because of my experience and l love to do it. Does it sound good? You get what you put in.
And l can export with all that l ddid to a track, effects, fader movements etc or dry. I do dry to drag and drop into Reason. :-D

CharlesRandolph wrote:Exporting maybe faster, but how much time does it actually save you? Does it make the music better? It will save you 10 to 15 minutes tops. You still have to mix, arrange, tweak, and listen back to the music. For me I track out everything in one pass, so a 4 minutes songs takes about 5 minutes to track out. (Due to Setup)

During that 5 minutes of tracking time, I'm taking notes on what to tweak in the mix or other ideas I want add to the music. I work with lots of live tracking production, and we spend an entire day just tracking the music. You want live horns, vocals, cuts, keys and so on for that human feel. Then that's the only way.

Now where exporting does help, is doing a the boring clerical work.
Backing up Stems and Converting to different file formats.