MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By IMAKEMADBEATS Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:06 am
How do you all save your session files? For every session, I have to hit "NEW FOLDER" to save the session in it's own folder, just to keep session files organized from a mosh pit of a million files. I think it'd make sense if saving a session, pro tools, auto creates a folder, to separate the session files from other files.
Unless I'm the only person doing that.... :hmmm:

How do you all do it?
By Eyalc Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:07 am
I agree. Logic Pro used to be similar to what we have now. But now you have the option of saving a project to a folder of a single project file. Looks like a single file on the file system, but it contains all of the project resources. Always wondered why music composition software didn’t follow this simple approach.

I create a folder for each project as well.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:09 am
MPC:
I save a single Project Folder and stems per composition. I stay away from Project Archive file(.xpa)

SOFTWARE DAW:
Project Folder, Stems, and Two Multi Channel WAV files. (One with effects and the other dry with no effects.) Most major Software DAW can open them. I do this because I hate being trapped by proprietary project files.

I do wish Open Media Framework (OMF) was more reliable, but every Software DAW requires different information.
By Bezo Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:48 pm
I too create a folder for the project file, later adding track/song exports. I'm all for less button presses, so automating folder creation would be ideal.

Feature requested via online feedback.
By NearTao Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:36 pm
I'm settling on a directory structure myself, still a work in progress, but trying something like this out

/projects/<business>/<name>
/programs/<type|clip,inst,kit...>/<source>/<name>
/patterns/<type|inst,kit...>/<name>

I might further go into genre, but I'm finding this to be a decent balance between a few clicks to get around, and still being organized enough to find my way.
By Bezo Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:51 pm
NearTao wrote:I'm settling on a directory structure myself, still a work in progress, but trying something like this out

/projects/<business>/<name>
/programs/<type|clip,inst,kit...>/<source>/<name>
/patterns/<type|inst,kit...>/<name>

I might further go into genre, but I'm finding this to be a decent balance between a few clicks to get around, and still being organized enough to find my way.
I've been meaning to take the time to do some house cleaning, adding MIDI files/patterns somewhere easily accessible being one of the main items. If that's what you mean by patterns, does saving them on an installed SSD make it any easier to get them into a project, on a specified track?

Dragging & dropping is a PITA, not being able to "aim" at the exact track I want. Aside from it being the 1st thing I do, I 1st drop it on an unused track/sequence, then copy/paste it to the desired track/sequence. If I can turn a 2 step process into one, I'd be ecstatic.
By NearTao Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:54 pm
I haven't messed with loading patterns a *lot*, but it seems to work like this...

if you have an empty track, it will load the pattern into the currently selected track.

if you have content in the track, it will load the pattern into a new track.

I haven't played around with intentionally making new empty tracks with instruments or something else in them, so I don't know how that operates... but if you want to load up "kick 01", then "snare 05", then "hats 07" on an empty sequence you should get
track 01 - kick 01 pattern
track 02 - snare 05 pattern
track 03 - hats 07 pattern

I find this helpful in two ways... if you setup your drum kits the same (or maybe a handful of different ways) then you can quickly load a single program and drop in patterns to quickly create a sound... and if you don't do then, then just load up a bunch of programs for kicks/snares/hats and just set your sound to your pattern.

Personally I prefer the first way, it makes me keep some discipline so that I can predict what kind of sound I will be playing when finger drumming regardless of what program I load. On the other hand I've been working out a color coding system so that I can visually see what I have loaded up as well... however this doesn't play quite so nicely with patterns if you want to use them this way.