MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
Bymember04959388 Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:05 pm
I just noticed that if I export normalized samples from Mac hard disk to Mpc hard disk and play them with Mpc at unity volume without any warp or effects, just as they are, they clip immediately.
that's a bit weird and I have the suspect is related to the conversion inside Mpc from the original 24 bit to internal 32 bit.
Unfortunately there is no way to lower the waveform and I can only lower the volume to something like -6 db
By zangetsu01 Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:36 pm
Frisbi wrote:I just noticed that if I export normalized samples from Mac hard disk to Mpc hard disk and play them with Mpc at unity volume without any warp or effects, just as they are, they clip immediately.
that's a bit weird and I have the suspect is related to the conversion inside Mpc from the original 24 bit to internal 32 bit.
Unfortunately there is no way to lower the waveform and I can only lower the volume to something like -6 db

If your not in SA mode but in CM mode, try using a limiter. :smoker:
Bymember04959388 Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:29 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:
Frisbi wrote:I just noticed that if I export normalized samples from Mac hard disk to Mpc hard disk and play them with Mpc at unity volume without any warp or effects, just as they are, they clip immediately.

If your not in SA mode but in CM mode, try using a limiter. :smoker:

Standalone.
And why should I use a limiter?
Not a good suggestion
By Danoc Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:16 pm
That doesn't happen to me but just lower it. As long as you don't hear distortion you're good to go. Or you can lower the Gain and keep the fader at 0.0db. Do the one that works best with your flow.
Bymember04959388 Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:55 pm
Danoc wrote:That doesn't happen to me but just lower it. As long as you don't hear distortion you're good to go. Or you can lower the Gain and keep the fader at 0.0db. Do the one that works best with your flow.

It's ok, not a big problem, I just lower pad volume.
I was just a bit surprised by that and wondering why it happens
By zangetsu01 Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:02 pm
Frisbi wrote:Standalone.
Not a good suggestion

If you're sure that the wave form stays below 0dB and it still clips either compress the sound when it exceeds a certain threshold or use a limiter to do that. But if you don't like suggestion that's okay.. :smoker:
Bymember04959388 Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:11 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Standalone.
Not a good suggestion

If you're sure that the wave form stays below 0dB and it still clips either compress the sound when it exceeds a certain threshold or use a limiter to do that. But if you don't like suggestion that's okay.. :smoker:

Well the less I use a limiter, the better is the sound, at least at first stages.
Otherwise maybe you can have problems after, on a final mix or mastering.
By zangetsu01 Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:17 pm
I don’t think were on the same page here.. In this case you wouldn’t be using the compressor or limiter to boost it’s output to 0dB, you would use it to peak shave it’s input to prevent it from reaching 0dB.

That aside.. using a limiter before the final mix or master should not be a problem as long as you know what your doing.
By Cclong Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:22 am
I have the same problem , and the sample still sounds distorted when i lower the pad volume . It makes no sense to me ...
By Menco Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:29 am
When I import projects from the 2500 into the Live or Software all my levels are in the red. Thinks it just spits out sounds louder. Just a matter of adjusting volumes. Had the same ‘problem’ when I was on MPC 1.xx.
By zangetsu01 Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:47 pm
The most simple way I can think of is to go to:

Propgram Edit > Samples > (Choose the second tab of program edit) > check on which layer the sample is located > adjust level
By Danoc Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:35 pm
Cool :smoker: Glad it worked fune for you.

Frisbi wrote:
Danoc wrote:That doesn't happen to me but just lower it. As long as you don't hear distortion you're good to go. Or you can lower the Gain and keep the fader at 0.0db. Do the one that works best with your flow.

It's ok, not a big problem, I just lower pad volume.
I was just a bit surprised by that and wondering why it happens
By Danoc Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:38 pm
Are you sampling directly into the MPC or you're importing your samples?

Cclong wrote:I have the same problem , and the sample still sounds distorted when i lower the pad volume . It makes no sense to me ...
By Eyalc Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:36 pm
A few weeks ago we had a conversation about the internal sample rate being changed when samples are loaded into the MPC. Not sure if this would be related.

If you are moving them from one hard disk (mac) to another (MPC), the only thing that could be the culprit (IMO) is that the MPC is the cause.
Bymember04959388 Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:57 pm
Someone from Akai pointed out on Gearslutz that when you assign a sample to a pad, a 2pole lp filter is automatically assigned to the pad at max frequency level (127).
So even if it doesn't filter the sample, it affects somehow its sound because it is a analog filter modelling.
Maybe that's the answer?