MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Rockguy Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:02 pm
Full disclosure- I’m a total novice when it comes to the mpc. I purchased the MPC Live Bible but am finding it frustrating because you need to load the author’s sequences to learn this stuff when I’d prefer to learn it in real time with MY material. Anyway....

All I want to do is know how to assign the same instrument to all 16 pads and assign the pitches I need. I was able to get one note and sound to one pad only. Obviously I need more notes to assign in order to record my melody.

FWIW I have my drum sounds all in bank A, and my single one note/sound (that I want to expand upon) in bank B for the sequences I’m working on.

If any one can offer a step by step on how to do this it’d be most appreciated. If it’s too step intensive, I understand and I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and learn via the author’s sequences in the Bible
By NearTao Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:43 pm
Well, the traditional MPC way to do this is either to use a drum kit, like you have to load a hit, and then use 16 levels (TUNE) to play it like an instrument...

or, you want to learn about instrument programs and key groups, to load one or more samples to quickly assign them across the pads.

For what you are describing though, is another way to do it, which would basically be to assign the same sample to all 16 pads, and change the TUNE in program mode to pitch the sample up and down across the pads. The benefit of doing it this way is that you'll have more control over which notes are played on which pads, and you can control what scale(s) you might want to use.

There are tons of ways to approach the problem in the MPC. My suggestion would be to experiment and see what works best for you.

Hope that helps.
By zangetsu01 Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:04 pm
Keep your drums in that program and make a new track and choose keygroup mode. After that go into program and select your single sample and select the root key of your single sample.

You can also do what Neartao said.

But if this is what you want just let me know and I’ll describe the proces in detail.

My advice is to seperate instruments into different programs to keep things organized.

Track 1: Drums (Kick, snare, hihat, etc)

Track 2: Bass

Track 3: Brass

Track 4: Strings

Track 5: Melody stuff

Track 6: More melody stuff

Track 7: sampled FX stuff (wind, noise, etc)

Track 8: etc.