MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Fess Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:39 pm
Not gonna lie, I had ditched Akai for a few years now but it looks like theMPC X OS and the 2.0 software has matured to a level of usability I might be able to work with. I realize that here are still some bugs but I think I'm ready to upgrade, but before I do are there any former Ren users who had problems porting over projects? One of my concerns is that 24 bit audio files created with 1.94 software will create problems when updating to the X and 2.0 software when opening the Ren projects with the MPC 2.0 software using the MPC X as the controller for those projects. I've been reading that the X renders the 24 bit audio to 16 bit files? Can anyone chime in and let me know if it's safe to update to the X and subsequently the 2.0 (2.3) software. I'm working on really important (money-making) material and I can't risk losing time trying to fix stuff. Worse case scenario is a get the X, shelve it for a few months while the bugs get ironed out and continue to use the Ren and the 1.94 software until the X is ready for prime-time. Happy New year :)
By Eyalc Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:46 pm
A lot of good questions / thoughts. I can't help with all of them, as I never owned a Ren. But hopefully folks that came from the Ren will chime in.

Several weeks ago we had a discussion about the down-sampling when loading samples. I never confirmed this on my own, but I believe others have, and they can probably chime in. However I've never had an issue with my samples loading, projects loading, etc. There are sometimes a few anomalies, but nothing critical.

Regarding purchasing the X, I don't know that I would buy one just to shelve it. They'll be available when you're ready. If you have the $ to get one, I recommend doing a "champion-challenger" comparison. In your scenario, the Ren is the champion, and the X is the challenger. For existing projects, load it into the X. If it works fine, and you can do everything you want / need, keep working in the X for that project. If not, go back to the Ren. For new projects, start them in the X, and keep them there. Don't go back to the Ren for it. Using this approach, over time you'll eventually be doing everything in the X. Transition to the X solved, with little risk to your timeline and most importantly your $$$.

As far as bugs / issues - I don't think anyone can really answer that for you. Look at the boards and see if there's anything that would be a show stopper for you. Of all the things people are reporting, some of it affects me, some of it doesn't. Fortunately for me, none of the things I experience, nor the things other people are reporting, impact me that much. I'm still able to do what I want to do (for the most part). But I always pay attention to what other people are reporting. 90% of what I do is for commercial releases, so I can't risk impacts to my timeline or $ as well.

Sorry for the length.
By Fess Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:11 pm
Eyalc wrote:A lot of good questions / thoughts. I can't help with all of them, as I never owned a Ren. But hopefully folks that came from the Ren will chime in.

Several weeks ago we had a discussion about the down-sampling when loading samples. I never confirmed this on my own, but I believe others have, and they can probably chime in. However I've never had an issue with my samples loading, projects loading, etc. There are sometimes a few anomalies, but nothing critical.

Regarding purchasing the X, I don't know that I would buy one just to shelve it. They'll be available when you're ready. If you have the $ to get one, I recommend doing a "champion-challenger" comparison. In your scenario, the Ren is the champion, and the X is the challenger. For existing projects, load it into the X. If it works fine, and you can do everything you want / need, keep working in the X for that project. If not, go back to the Ren. For new projects, start them in the X, and keep them there. Don't go back to the Ren for it. Using this approach, over time you'll eventually be doing everything in the X. Transition to the X solved, with little risk to your timeline and most importantly your $$$.

As far as bugs / issues - I don't think anyone can really answer that for you. Look at the boards and see if there's anything that would be a show stopper for you. Of all the things people are reporting, some of it affects me, some of it doesn't. Fortunately for me, none of the things I experience, nor the things other people are reporting, impact me that much. I'm still able to do what I want to do (for the most part). But I always pay attention to what other people are reporting. 90% of what I do is for commercial releases, so I can't risk impacts to my timeline or $ as well.

Sorry for the length.

Hey man, thanks for the response. As crazy as it may sound, when I updated from the 5000 to the Ren my 5000 projects imported well and all I was left to do was tweak a few effects to mirror the 5000 projects. I'm thinking it should be a quite seamless cross-over from Ren to X but that bit rate issue has me on the fence right now. I'm gonna keep my eyes on the development and to be honest, I'm still getting it regardless because now that it has audio tracks it can be a great sketchpad as well as a capable studio tool. I've been checking out the X's manual and it's looking good, so when they get the latest bugs ironed out, I'm in 100.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:21 pm
The main adjustments will be the UI and Software. You can download the MPC Software 2.0 Demo and see how your REN responds to it. Considering you're coming from the REN and software. Those 8 tracks they give you in standalone for the LIVE/X will be a step down.
By Fess Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:00 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:The main adjustments will be the UI and Software. You can download the MPC Software 2.0 Demo and see how your REN responds to it. Considering you're coming from the REN and software. Those 8 tracks they give you in standalone for the LIVE/X will be a step down.

I consider the 8 audio tracks to be a step up actually, considering i wouldn't need to be tethered to a computer to try out some sketch ideas with vox and improvised recordings on the spot- like I can do on the 5K. That bit rate bug I've been reading about is my main concern... well that, and lack of MIDI multi-timbrality-which I've read they're adding someday. I have no doubt the X will eventually have most, if not all the functions of previous MPCs, but it isn't quite ready for me just yet, based on everything I've been reading recently.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:23 pm
Fess wrote:I consider the 8 audio tracks to be a step up actually, considering i wouldn't need to be tethered to a computer to try out some sketch ideas with vox and improvised recordings on the spot- like I can do on the 5K. That bit rate bug I've been reading about is my main concern... well that, and lack of MIDI multi-timbrality-which I've read they're adding someday. I have no doubt the X will eventually have most, if not all the functions of previous MPCs, but it isn't quite ready for me just yet, based on everything I've been reading recently.

I understood the tethering to a computer in the 2002, but now these ultra books and Mac Book Air's have more power and they weight under 3 pounds. Also with a gear we have access to, the days of sketch and demo are no longer needed. Sketches and Demo are just unfinished or unmixed songs now.

Have you tried the Free Demo MPC Software 2.0 with your REN yet?
By Fess Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:01 am
Uh huh, and I still haven't made up my mind yet :lol:
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:24 am
Fess wrote: One of my concerns is that 24 bit audio files created with 1.94 software will create problems when updating to the X and 2.0 software when opening the Ren projects with the MPC 2.0 software using the MPC X as the controller for those projects. I've been reading that the X renders the 24 bit audio to 16 bit files?

Your projects should load identically.

The 16 bit rendering bug is now 'only' affecting chopping, patch phrase and 'bounce to audio track', however I believe the chopping/patch phrase bug was there in 1.94. That is, if you load a 24 bit file and chop it and save the chops, the chops are now 16 bit, not 24.
By JKC Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:23 pm
Went from REN to X about a month ago. Not had any issues so far in terms of loading up projects.