MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:30 pm
There was an discussion about Splice in 2019 and how it's legal and offers creators away to make money. Yet, here is another example of it not being on the up and up. If you use sounds from there, make sure you clear them before trying to publishing them.

Most of these site are full of this stuff. This time it appears, that KSHMR has been caught selling clips of Mick Gordon's DOOM soundtrack. Now this is not to attack KSHMR but it shows major issue with these companies. Nevertheless, this is not his first rodeo.

KSHMR to Mick Gordon
https://twitter.com/KSHMRmusic/status/1078792246135205889

Twitter post of KSHMR selling other sounds.
https://twitter.com/OmniEDM/status/1019703884594470913

Splice Twitter Discussion:
https://twitter.com/splice/status/1078679583732494336

Article:
https://www.youredm.com/2018/12/28/doom-video-game-composer-accuses-kshmr-of-ripping-samples-for-latest-splice-pack/

Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/aabx04/kshmr_once_again_found_stealing_copyrighted/

Sometimes the meme's get right. :lol:
Bymember04959388 Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:34 pm
You know what?
I try to avoid loop packs and downloaded clips.
It's the death of creativity for me.
We have a drum machine, synths, keyroups, I have microphones and digital recorder, so why not making your own clips instead of using someone else ideas?
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:16 pm
Frisbi wrote:You know what?
We have a drum machine, synths, keyroups, I have microphones and digital recorder, so why not making your own clips instead of using someone else ideas?

I agree, but many people want to be spoon fed and have things instantly. The thing about those kind of sites are they are suppose to eliminate copyright issues.
Bymember04959388 Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:32 pm
If you take a sample, warp it, slow it, reverse it and so on, is still the same sample you started from?
I never understood the sense of copyright on the electronic music of today.
And anyway I think that sites or brands who sell ready made clips should not claim any copyright.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:12 pm
Frisbi wrote:If you take a sample, warp it, slow it, reverse it and so on, is still the same sample you started from?
I never understood the sense of copyright on the electronic music of today.
And anyway I think that sites or brands who sell ready made clips should not claim any copyright.

People have issues because they don't manipulate the sound enough. Copyright is a good thing but unfortunately people abuse it. Yet in the case of KSHMR, he knew what he was doing and only owned up to it, once he was caught.
By Danoc Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:37 am
What he said

Frisbi wrote:You know what?
By Danoc Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:44 am
True, its suppose to be ROYAL FREE LOOPS but you can't take the conent and resell ut as your own as a sample loop pack.

This is where people better learn how to program etc. I have no issue with that. I spent years on my craft and don't have to worry.

CharlesRandolph wrote:
I agree, but many people want to be spoon fed and have things instantly. The thing about those kind of sites are they are suppose to eliminate copyright issues.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:09 am
Danoc wrote:True, its suppose to be ROYAL FREE LOOPS but you can't take the conent and resell ut as your own as a sample loop pack.

This is where people better learn how to program etc. I have no issue with that. I spent years on my craft and don't have to worry.

CharlesRandolph wrote:

But the site full of sample loops and sounds, repackaged from other samples packs, and sold as new sample pack.
By Danoc Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:17 am
:Sigh: :WTF: WTF

CharlesRandolph wrote:
But the site full of sample loops and sounds, repackaged from other samples packs, and sold as new sample pack.
By Cclong Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:19 am
It’s kind of funny how I was voicing some very similar points in this thread and got panned for spelling issues by uppity people , leaving me with a very nasty taste in my mouth from this forum. But here I am again...

I really hope Akai does not follow thru with this splice implementation thing. It is, like frisbi says , the death of creativity. The more they throw multisampled packs at us with various intonation etc, the less features I think they will be be able to squirm out of giving users. I really don’t like where this is all going.

Also, I can’t tell you how many other sample packs double up and steal from each other. And these are the people getting paid stupid amounts of money.
By zangetsu01 Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:40 am
I dont think anything is going to change by adding Splice, It’s just that the so called sample packs will be easier to acces and Akai + Splice will make good profit with doing this.

And I understand that they need to do these things in order to keep things running.

I’ve got 95% of the Akai packs and I found my self to not even use them.

Only for drums or fx sounds. That’s why I’ll stop buying them.

In the end it won’t matter what you use, (packs, sampler or instruments) it’s all about how you use them resulting in a end product.

But knowingly stealing samples and repacking them to sell them is not a good practice.

But in the end we do the same if we sample a record, chop it up and blow some new life into it when we flip them.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:17 am
It's an interesting situation for sure. I can see a lot of people claiming KSHMR has directly sampled the Doom stuff, but after watching this video I don't think that's the case. I believe what has happened is that (as KSHMR states in his twitter vid) he's sat down and tried to replicate the Doom soundtrack using his own gear. However he's done it to such an extreme that it's virtually identical. It's a cover version.

Legally this stuff is a minefield. This has similarities to the recent 'Blurred Lines' case which involved a successful claim that the Robin Thicke song was 'too inspired' by Marvin Gaye's Got to Give it Up, even though ultimately there was no sampling and the bass lines and percussion parts were somewhat different.

In the samplepack industry this stuff has been going on since the year dot. People have always wanted to buy loop packs 'in the style of xxxxx', and all the large provider sites are crammed with this kind of thing. There's no direct sampling of the original material, it's all about recreating the original sound, but invariably the loops will also 'borrow' heavily on some of the chord structures and riffs of the original artist, again, effectively making them 'cover versions', although strictly speaking they aren't because they are changing things.

If there's no direct sampling and the riff/melodies/chords are not identical, where do you draw the line between 'inspired by' and 'cover version' and 'rip off'?

Based only on the examples in the video, I think KSHMR has gone too far as he has completely cloned those loops. However, I believe this is a pack containing 4000 sounds, so are these the only examples where he's gone too far, or are all 4000 like this?
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:40 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:It's an interesting situation for sure. I can see a lot of people claiming KSHMR has directly sampled the Doom stuff, but after watching this video I don't think that's the case. I believe what has happened is that (as KSHMR states in his twitter vid) he's sat down and tried to replicate the Doom soundtrack using his own gear. However he's done it to such an extreme that it's virtually identical. It's a cover version.

Legally this stuff is a minefield. Ultimately I don't think he's sampled anything direct, this has more similarities to the recent 'Blurred Lines' case which involved a successful claim that the Robin Thicke song was 'too inspired' by Marvin Gaye's Got to Give it Up, even though ultimately there was no sampling and the bass lines and percussion parts were somewhat different.

In the samplepack industry this stuff has been going on since the year dot. People have always wanted to buy loop packs 'in the style of xxxxx', and all the large provider sites are crammed with this kind of thing. There's no direct sampling of the original material, it's all about recreating the original sound, but invariably the loops will also 'borrow' heavily on some of the chord structures and riffs of the original artist, again, effectively making them 'cover versions', although strictly speaking they aren't because they are changing things.

If there's no direct sampling and the riff/melodies/chords are not identical, where do you draw the line between 'inspired by' and 'cover version' and 'rip off'?

Based only on the examples in the video, I think KSHMR has gone too far as he has completely cloned those loops. However, I believe this is a pack containing 4000 sounds, so are these the only examples where he's gone too far, or are all 4000 like this?

It sounds like he manipulated the sounds and added parts. However not enough where you can't tell. I don't think all his sounds in that pack are stolen, but he knew what he was doing. As musicians we all know this.