MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By lordradish Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:59 am
Hey, folks,

I’m finally getting in to using the Live to trigger external synths, and I’m having a few issues that I hope someone can help me with. I’m using 2.3.

The setup.... a midi controller to midi in 1. Midi out 1 goes to my Access Virus TI2 and midi out 2 goes to my Moog Subsequent 37.

Problem 1... when I send anything to the Moog, the note won’t stop sustaining. Even after I unplug the Midi cable, it keeps going. If, on the MPc, I change the channel and then come back to the original channel, it then shuts the note off. I’m not having that problem with the TI. Is this an Akai problem or a Moog problem? If Akai, what do I do?

Problem 2... I use a lot of drones in my music. When I record one, holding down the key for the length of the sequence, when it gets to the end of the sequence and I release the key, it seems to go the length of a sequence before it plays the note, and then, it retriggers the note every time at the beginning of the sequence. Is there a way that I can get it to both play right away after I record it, and also have it sustain indefinitely, instead of retriggering?

Problem 3... How do I adjust volumes for the midi tracks, during playback? I use the channel mixer, but when I adjust the level, it resets it to the original level, when the sequence restarts.

I looked through the MPC Bible, but couldn't find a any solutions, Thanks in advance, if you can help.
By Elektrobolt Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:12 pm
lordradish wrote:Problem 1... when I send anything to the Moog, the note won’t stop sustaining. Even after I unplug the Midi cable, it keeps going. If, on the MPc, I change the channel and then come back to the original channel, it then shuts the note off. I’m not having that problem with the TI. Is this an Akai problem or a Moog problem? If Akai, what do I do?

Even if the note is short? If you highlight the MIDI Track that the Moog is associated with, and play something on the Moog, do you hear double notes? Are there ANY circumstances in which does not occur?

Please, supply some more information.

Also, unplugging the MIDI cable is not a viable solution to get a MIDI Note Off message. ;)

lordradish wrote:Problem 2... I use a lot of drones in my music. When I record one, holding down the key for the length of the sequence, when it gets to the end of the sequence and I release the key, it seems to go the length of a sequence before it plays the note, and then, it retriggers the note every time at the beginning of the sequence. Is there a way that I can get it to both play right away after I record it, and also have it sustain indefinitely, instead of retriggering?

First, define indefinitely... lol, just joking!

Anyways, if you have a sequence that is 4 bars long, then the max length of any note is 4 bars (and for that length it would have to start at the beginning). Meaning, the length limit is set by the length of the sequence. Also, when the sequence is looping around, the MIDI data is sent out each time.

What you can do, is to minimize the number of times those notes are re-triggered. You can do this by making the sequence longer, 8 bars, 16, 32 or 64... :) MIDI data does not require a lot of memory, so not a big deal.

lordradish wrote:Problem 3... How do I adjust volumes for the midi tracks, during playback? I use the channel mixer, but when I adjust the level, it resets it to the original level, when the sequence restarts.

I have never used the channel mixer for MIDI, so I cannot answer in terms of that. But there is a "MIDI volume" message that you could use. It's a MIDI CC (continuous controller) number 7.
By lordradish Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:20 pm
Elektrobolt wrote:
lordradish wrote:Problem 1... when I send anything to the Moog, the note won’t stop sustaining. Even after I unplug the Midi cable, it keeps going. If, on the MPc, I change the channel and then come back to the original channel, it then shuts the note off. I’m not having that problem with the TI. Is this an Akai problem or a Moog problem? If Akai, what do I do?

Even if the note is short? If you highlight the MIDI Track that the Moog is associated with, and play something on the Moog, do you hear double notes? Are there ANY circumstances in which does not occur?

Please, supply some more information.

Also, unplugging the MIDI cable is not a viable solution to get a MIDI Note Off message. ;)

I had some strange loopback stuff going on that I've since figured out, so that's all set.

lordradish wrote:Problem 2... I use a lot of drones in my music. When I record one, holding down the key for the length of the sequence, when it gets to the end of the sequence and I release the key, it seems to go the length of a sequence before it plays the note, and then, it retriggers the note every time at the beginning of the sequence. Is there a way that I can get it to both play right away after I record it, and also have it sustain indefinitely, instead of retriggering?

First, define indefinitely... lol, just joking!

Anyways, if you have a sequence that is 4 bars long, then the max length of any note is 4 bars (and for that length it would have to start at the beginning). Meaning, the length limit is set by the length of the sequence. Also, when the sequence is looping around, the MIDI data is sent out each time.

What you can do, is to minimize the number of times those notes are re-triggered. You can do this by making the sequence longer, 8 bars, 16, 32 or 64... :) MIDI data does not require a lot of memory, so not a big deal. [/quote]

I asked TUBEDIGGA about this, and he rightly suggested that, for live stuff, I just send a sustain command for that pad, then switch over to my other stuff. That seems to work.

lordradish wrote:Problem 3... How do I adjust volumes for the midi tracks, during playback? I use the channel mixer, but when I adjust the level, it resets it to the original level, when the sequence restarts.

I have never used the channel mixer for MIDI, so I cannot answer in terms of that. But there is a "MIDI volume" message that you could use. It's a MIDI CC (continuous controller) number 7.[/quote]

I think my problem with this one is that I noticed I still had record activated when I adjusted the volume, so it would reset it, everytime. I have since made sure I turn recording off before adjusting the volume. Thanks!