Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Cclong Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:20 am
machinesworking wrote:We had stereo reverbs when computers were holding 2GB and less of RAM.
Altiverb was released and used on Power Mac G4's with a whopping total of 128MB of RAM.
It's processor calculations that determine how complex of a reverb can be generated even with an impulse response based reverb like Altiverb. Altiverb got it's name from the Altivec processing that the G4 chips could do, they were crazy slow in most respects but Altivec helped a lot.

The main thing IMO holding back the MPC Live and X as it stands in terms of track count is audio tracks not streaming from disc, this changes and a lot of things open up without the need to get a new MPC with 16GB of RAM etc. More RAM is cool, but any modern computer or surface/ipad which the MPC essentially is can use disc space to swap out virtual RAM, so again, streaming ability is more important.

Faster chips are really the main thing these days, I've only run out of RAM a few times on my 09 Mac Pro with 24GB, and that was using massive amounts of orchestral sample libraries, pretty much to see how much it took to crunch it.

A **** men. And as for saying the ipad is not a “professional instrument”, that is true: it is multiple... simultaneously!!! Disk streaming is what is bogging the system down (obviously) , and once that happens it will free up flash ram which can be used for (among other things) a “good” stereo reverb. This is what i keep saying about streamlining the programming and making better use of the processing power: there really is quite a bit . There is NO reason why these units need 8+GB like everyone here seems to think: without good software what is the point ? I seriously dont understand why ppl are clamoring for 16GB like its going to magically make the machine more capable somehow... as is all that would do is allow for more flash ram to be wasted on samples. Disk streaming is important because it will free up necessary resources so that the real number crunching can be used on TOOLS.

And , i repeat, 2 GB is more
Than enough if used creatively... right machinesworking?? Especially for something like the live that is dedicated to a single operation of music making and handling audio (without having to worry about GFX processing or complex networking, etc etc )

Im still smdh at that comment about the MPC live being a “real professional instrument” and the ipad being anything but. Closed-mindedness walk you straight to the past forever in stagnation. Meanwhile, the future holds all you prove impossible to your damn selves.
By Fanu Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:34 am
yup, disk streaming would be necessary.
e.g., most DAWs work like this by default so your ram isn't a limiting factor (some DAWs like Ableton Live *can* load samples into ram if you wish).
loading samples to memory is super old tech (of course this can prevent hard disk struggles if you have a slow HD, which is now a thing of the past, or a super intensive project that requires a ton of streaming).
having a flash memory inside a sampler but loading samples into memory almost doesn't make sense in a way...you should be able to stream those samples directly from the disk or whatever media.
i vaguely recall reading about an MPC X event where Ski Beatz had been using the X to load a ton of audio (full songs etc) and the machine had got slow or something, and he had criticized the X and Akai on the spot for not being able to stream his audio…
Bymember04959388 Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:09 pm
So why do you get an Mpc if you have many pro instruments on ipad?
You can just use the Mpc app on it plus all the others pro instrument, isn't it?
By Lampdog Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:23 pm
Frisbi wrote:So why do you get an Mpc if you have many pro instruments on ipad?
You can just use the Mpc app on it plus all the others pro instrument, isn't it?

Backwards.

I had mpc first, actually 2 hardware mpc's first. Ipad later. Why? Because I want to.

Bymember04959388 Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:28 pm
Good. At the end Mpc is a tablet running a software on Linux plus a controller.
I didn't want to start a discussion, I just stay out from Mac and ipad this period of my life and anyway everyone uses what he prefers, it's the music that counts.
By Bezo Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:42 pm
Cclong wrote:...There is NO reason why these units need 8+GB like everyone here seems to think: without good software what is the point ? I seriously dont understand why ppl are clamoring for 16GB like its going to magically make the machine more capable somehow... as is all that would do is allow for more flash ram to be wasted on samples. Disk streaming is important because it will free up necessary resources so that the real number crunching can be used on TOOLS.

Than enough if used creatively... right machinesworking?? Especially for something like the live that is dedicated to a single operation of music making and handling audio (without having to worry about GFX processing or complex networking, etc etc )...
I'm hoping/anticipating for 3rd party stand alone plugins, or at least more from Air. Assuming disk streaming is added, do you believe 2GB or RAM is enough to run a stand alone project with 10+ VST plugins, a host of effect plugins, submixes(hopefully), etc?
Bymember04959388 Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:32 pm
Bezo wrote:
Cclong wrote:...There is NO reason why these units need 8+GB like everyone here seems to think: without good software what is the point ? I seriously dont understand why ppl are clamoring for 16GB like its going to magically make the machine more capable somehow... as is all that would do is allow for more flash ram to be wasted on samples. Disk streaming is important because it will free up necessary resources so that the real number crunching can be used on TOOLS.

Than enough if used creatively... right machinesworking?? Especially for something like the live that is dedicated to a single operation of music making and handling audio (without having to worry about GFX processing or complex networking, etc etc )...
I'm hoping/anticipating for 3rd party stand alone plugins, or at least more from Air. Assuming disk streaming is added, do you believe 2GB or RAM is enough to run a stand alone project with 10+ VST plugins, a host of effect plugins, submixes(hopefully), etc?

Yes exactly.
I am fine with 2gb, I never run out of memory but with 8gb we could have much more powerful effects and synth plugins.
And Air could implement its synths and fx in Mpc.
I think with 2gb not much can be done, mainly because in reality it's less then 1gb of Ram.
By rvense Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 pm
Frisbi wrote:I am fine with 2gb, I never run out of memory but with 8gb we could have much more powerful effects and synth plugins.

I don't understand what makes you think RAM will ever be the issue?

Personally I think the main reason we don't have more effects and synths is that Akai haven't finished them yet.
Bymember04959388 Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:31 am
rvense wrote:
Frisbi wrote:I am fine with 2gb, I never run out of memory but with 8gb we could have much more powerful effects and synth plugins.

I don't understand what makes you think RAM will ever be the issue?

Personally I think the main reason we don't have more effects and synths is that Akai haven't finished them yet.

Not sure about what you say.
Maybe you are right, but good effects need cpu power.
We are working at 2gb shared by Os and Ram, it's not so much.
Same for synths. I read a post here where a man was highlighting that after 2.3 update he could not load a previous project he made with 2.1 because the Mpc said out of memory.
So they added 3 new nice synths and we have less memory for samples or audio tracks.
This means any added feature will lead to less Ram.
I think Akai will have to work with a very narrow limit to implement new features and new effects or synths
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:54 am
Frisbi wrote:Good. At the end Mpc is a tablet running a software on Linux plus a controller.
I didn't want to start a discussion, I just stay out from Mac and ipad this period of my life and anyway everyone uses what he prefers, it's the music that counts.

I understand what you meant about the iPad vs professional gear. We know that iPads can and are used as tools. They were essentially consumer/consumption devices until the iPad Pro's came out. I believe if Apple released a dedicate interface/controller for Logic, it would really change the environment. It would also force these companies to step up.

Nevertheless, I'm still interested to see what the APC Live is all about. Will it be Akai Software only based, Albeton Based, A new kind of MPC, or Just a platform of it's own. No matter how we spin, it does make things interesting in the land of controllers/drum machines.
By Danoc Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:12 am
Smh at discussion over ram for a STANDALONE MPC LIVE/X.

That's like someone telling me now l can only use 2gb ram in my PC with all the powerful wave plugins and the list goes on. I think l would pull out a bat and beat the crap out of them, respectively! :-)