MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lampdog Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 pm
For years, they stay struggling.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:01 pm
Lampdog wrote:For years, they stay struggling.

They keep creating separate pieces that do not talk to each other. The MPC X should've been a monster drum machine, audio interface, and DAW controller. You should've been able to plug in any recent Akai Pro gear into it and the X would see and control it.
By Lampdog Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:15 pm
YES.

It was supposed to do everything the 4k could and MORE. I was ready to buy it, but waited to see if it could swim deep waters.
By jeff lick Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:28 am
Well, it is certainly better than the Ren. They will get there. Maybe in 20 years. I liked it enough to buy it but honestly it has outpriced itself. Should be like $1,500 IMO. The truth is nothing is ever what every consumer wants. Many find a lot of fault with the Kronos as well on those forums. I like the X but maybe 10 more releases and they really have something. Maybe they do it on purpose like phones. Leave stuff out so their can be more releases. It would have been great if the X could talk to the Advance beyond midi. I can still make great loops with it but a lot is missing. The only real issue is they are asking too much for what it does.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:30 am
They are doing a good job of putting out gear. However they need to do a much better good job, at creating inspirational gear for Professional creatives. I do not and will not buy consumer grade gear. In fact I don't even buy, consumer grade cooking wear. :lol:
By Eyalc Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:01 am
Agree. They’ve been searching for their identity for the last 5 years. Remember the turntable (belt drive!!!)? Monitors? Headphones?

Wish they’d make the MPC line central and build around it. Would be a hell of an ecosystem.

I have hopes for this Force product, but half expect it will be something else completely unrelated to the MPC, once again missing an opportunity.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:34 am
Eyalc wrote:Agree. They’ve been searching for their identity for the last 5 years. Remember the turntable (belt drive!!!)? Monitors? Headphones?

Wish they’d make the MPC line central and build around it. Would be a hell of an ecosystem.

I have hopes for this Force product, but half expect it will be something else completely unrelated to the MPC, once again missing an opportunity.

This is my next purchase.

Softube Console 1 MKII and KAWAI VPC1 Virtual Piano Controller.

By jeff lick Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 am
Okay Guy's. The MPC is nearly consumer goods and once again they missed the mark. The Advance might as well be a Casio Arranger. I do not live for loops plus have a real MPC 4k,5k or something. I was wondering if you were in my position if you would trade the Akai stuff towards Krono's or something else? I think my real issue boils down to like all of you it did not do what I had hoped for. Luckily I paid very little for both and both should be nearly enough to get a Krono's or something else.

I do not buy anything consumer either. Unfortunately it looks like I just did. This stuff appeals to the masses not hardcore musicians. I play the piano and electric bass as good as the next guy. Not sure I am happy with this any longer. I wonder if Kanye uses this. That would be the proof. He mainly uses old gear.

I bet you all saw this coming!
By Danoc Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:09 am
Dam CharlesRandolph that's a nice getup you're about to get.

I almost went with the Console 1 for the SSL 9000 alone. Then came along waves SSL 4000 channel E l picked up for $29 bucks. Plus l have the SSL9000k in Reason, so lm good.

CharlesRandolph wrote:This is my next purchase.

Softube Console 1 MKII and KAWAI VPC1 Virtual Piano Controller.

By jeff lick Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:05 am
I take it you like it Dan? You got the much more reasonable Live? I think the Live is fine. The price of the X is asking a lot. Even though I did not pay it. Maybe downgrade to Live, ditch Advance and get Kronos? Okay, lets be honest I have too much GAS! I just listened to what everyone said. :Sigh:

Feeling better. MPC 2.3 does in fact talk to VIP 3.0! You can use VIP on the MPC!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzjFAG62GPY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb11Z0WYAa0
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:39 am
jeff lick wrote:Okay Guy's. The MPC is nearly consumer goods and once again they missed the mark. The Advance might as well be a Casio Arranger. I do not live for loops plus have a real MPC 4k,5k or something. I was wondering if you were in my position if you would trade the Akai stuff towards Krono's or something else? I think my real issue boils down to like all of you it did not do what I had hoped for. Luckily I paid very little for both and both should be nearly enough to get a Krono's or something else.

I do not buy anything consumer either. Unfortunately it looks like I just did. This stuff appeals to the masses not hardcore musicians. I play the piano and electric bass as good as the next guy. Not sure I am happy with this any longer. I wonder if Kanye uses this. That would be the proof. He mainly uses old gear.

I bet you all saw this coming!

Consumer Toy stuff is most of the Teenage Engineering products. I'm not into those cracker jack prizes, masquerading as production tools. As far as the Akai Live/X. Those offer very real productions tools.

jeff lick wrote:Feeling better. MPC 2.3 does in fact talk to VIP 3.0! You can use VIP on the MPC!

The MPC X does talk to it and you can use the MIDI learn feature. However you should not have to do that. Ideally you want the flagship machine, to be fully integrated with the MPC Software and VIP software.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:08 am
jeff lick wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9kUPiikR_E

No. Look. They are controlling each other with VIP. Not midi! AFAIK.

Glad to hear that this stuff is not thought of as toys. They are instruments.

But you have to use the MIDI LEARN feature. Also the VIP AND AKAI SOFTWARE should be fully integrated. There should be no reason to open it as VST program. Why have two completely separate programs, with all the gear they have?

So now they will have.

MPC Software
VIP 3.0
AKAI FORCE (Whatever it is.)
By jeff lick Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:14 am
This is true. At least there is a workaround of sorts. Still could have done better. Perhaps in a future release.