MPC X & MPC Live Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X & MPC Live, Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By c-real Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:14 pm
Hello everyone,

Before bying a MPC Live, I began to write a document that includes all the feature requests (FR) I would like to appear. Then I receive the device and I continue. Each time I found something not ergonomic, absurd or a miss, I write it. I noticed that many of the community FR (Akai Ideas, Gearslutz, MPC-Samples forum) were gathered into the document.

In order to remain as clean as possible, I prefer to be the admin of the document and gradually implement ideas, corrections and features by myself.

The best thing would be that Akai (maybe through the help of Dan via Gearslutz) ends to read the well-organised document and take it into consideration. But for the moment, it needs some improvements.

The document is divided in many parts : general, browser, edition, automation, navigation, pad perform, mute/solo, clip program, sampler/looper, audio tracks, MIDI program, MIDI control, MIDI learnable, song, colors, effects, plugins, software.

Feel free to participate by any mean :)

Here is the link : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tVzla5jwrQnBTpgzDrC4pMc1WPHMUqCSFLzuWXLo8Hc/edit

I'm not intending to replace Akai ideas place, the main purpose is just to provide a document that gathers good (and organised) ideas to improve the MPC workflow, hence the everyday life users. I'm aware that it is not a place to submit ideas.

Thank you very much for reading this :mrgreen:

PS : please apologize (and tell me) if what I wrote is not very clear (I'm French). If there is a lot of participation, this thread could become sticky (if the admin improves). But for now, let's just see what comes out.

EDIT : I also posted into Gearslutz forum. For more details : https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=13791648&postcount=14736
By Zack Zerox Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:39 pm
Nice idea.

I'd add 'enable audio recording when Live is slaved to external clock'. Currently you can't use the looper/sampler (or I guess audio tracks) to record in that state.
By Mukiw Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:43 pm
Not sure if I’m allowed to edit the original page or not but can you please add -

Clip Program - ability to create midi clips to send to midi notes/cc’s to external synths. Thanks
User avatar
By zangetsu01 Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:00 am
Maybe an idea to add to the list:

Hardware:

Sometimes I want to use the X as an soundcard while not producing when I’m just listening to music or watching anime.. At that moment the screen and all the led lights on the unit don’t need to be on all the time. I want to be able to set a timer for to turn them off.

And another option that should be added is to dim the screen by percentage..
By Mukiw Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:53 am
Mukiw wrote:Not sure if I’m allowed to edit the original page or not but can you please add -

Clip Program - ability to create midi clips to send to midi notes/cc’s to external synths. Thanks


It’s not allowing me to edit this post for some reason but I’d like to make another couple of suggestions to add to clip mode -

If I have multiple clip programs on track 1, 2, 3 etc, allow me to scroll between them without having to go back to the main area.

Better file management of clip programs - having to scroll through the entire sample pool one by one in order to find clips is really annoying.
By JehBeats Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:11 pm
Could you add these to your list:
(these are only software related)

Keyboard shortcut for TC 8T, 32T are missing

Split and Mute events dont work in track view

In Sample edit some q-links names covers the numbers

When exporting individual tracks, there is always a extra audio file that is exported.

Different bpm on the same sequence is not possible. You can have different sequences with different bpm in song mode, but you can not export individual tracks

There is no way to export individual tracks(explode tracks) in song mode

When changing preset in a virtual instrument, the preset name in the drop down menu (in the mpc software) dont update

GUI of the new AIR effects sucks! (in the software)

Last insert on Outputs 1/2 is always on when starting up the MPC software, even though the plug in is bypassed( I’m starting the software with a template)

In list mode, when double clicking a event you can not type directly in the length and velocity of the event.

You can not hold down shift to fine tune velocity and value (like tuning, attack etc) in list mode

Automation on the master output
By surfhai Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:19 pm
Hi c-real.

I´m a new MPC User. I´ve got my mpc a few weeks ago. there is something that I can not believe until today, because this is a basic on every synth and sampler ( hard or software ) , except on the mpc. I work a lot with effects and it is not possible to edit the sound in direct access with the q-links, without spending a lot of time to set all the parameter, if you able to do that. ... and so on.
the hole story can you find here:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=187765

1. There should be a possibility to create a global q-link sections which are static and will not get lost when keygroups are changed and so on. Now the give us some great effects, but not the possibility to quickly access it......

2. you should be able to change the sequence of the 4 effect slots by drag and drop, without loosing settings and the q-link settings, for which I needed minutes before to set them. For instance, i have a delay on the 1 Slot and think it would be more useful in the 4 slot, after the other effects. now i must delete the effect in slot 4 and slot 1 and lost all my q-link settings. everything is new again .... Ok, i can save my settings, but the q-link informations are lost. Imagine, you have 4 plugins in a channel strip in logic pro x or ableton and you lost all the settings, if you move a effect from position 1 to 4.... without words.

3. you should be able to save your own q-link settings into the effect. that means, if i save all my settings, for instance in the Air Delay, i insert the Delay into another track and can start working right away.

...

I hope you know what i mean.

Greetings from berlin
By 40Beatz Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:13 pm
surfhai wrote:2. you should be able to change the sequence of the 4 effect slots by drag and drop, without loosing settings and the q-link settings, for which I needed minutes before to set them. For instance, i have a delay on the 1 Slot and think it would be more useful in the 4 slot, after the other effects. now i must delete the effect in slot 4 and slot 1 and lost all my q-link settings. everything is new again .... Ok, i can save my settings, but the q-link informations are lost. Imagine, you have 4 plugins in a channel strip in logic pro x or ableton and you lost all the settings, if you move a effect from position 1 to 4.... without words.

3. you should be able to save your own q-link settings into the effect. that means, if i save all my settings, for instance in the Air Delay, i insert the Delay into another track and can start working right away.



Im actually able to Save my Effect Insert by pressing the Disk Icon. And was able to assign that Saved Effect Insert anywhere on any Program, in any order. And ALL my Q-Link settings are still intact!
By Cclong Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:31 am
It looks good but I really think 16 levels mode should have 8+ octaves . If we had this + gliss/glide then it would open up the creative possibilities of the live / X as it is sorely lacking in that dept for me. Fast pitching up of samples w loop points is a good sound design technique. Also, we should definitely have loop in and out points , not just loop start. We should also have a release envelope (crossfade looping ) , that fits into the GUI so we have visual feedback.
By sbtst6 Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:36 am
Seems small but a very huge workflow improvement!!!

The feature is implemented and does exactly follow parameters for the new Plugin instruments that have been added.. If I tap the touch screen of the parameter i want to edit, the Q-link follows... Nice!

But i was hoping it was also implemented in sections such as Program Edit, and Really in Sample Edit!

Having to use the q-link button to navigate between Sample Start and Sample End is very slow!
If i Edit the start of a sample, then want to edit the end, but then i want fine tune my edit start some more, I have 2 options:

1. i have to hit the q-link button 3 more times to get back to the Sample start section..
2. or, my other option is to Hit shift then the q-link button to go back to the start editing (this requires the use of 2 hands because of the location of the shift and q-link buttons)

If the q-link could follow what i touch on the screen, it would be a huge work flow improvement, especially in the edit department! I wouldn't need the use of 2 hands and/or 3 button clicks to get to a specific parameter in any of the sections...

I know this request has been submitted, but seems that Akai has not delivered it in 2.3, 2.4.. Hopefully in 2.5? :popcorn:
By wende Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:39 am
sbtst6 wrote:Seems small but a very huge workflow improvement!!!

The feature is implemented and does exactly follow parameters for the new Plugin instruments that have been added.. If I tap the touch screen of the parameter i want to edit, the Q-link follows... Nice!

But i was hoping it was also implemented in sections such as Program Edit, and Really in Sample Edit!

Having to use the q-link button to navigate between Sample Start and Sample End is very slow!
If i Edit the start of a sample, then want to edit the end, but then i want fine tune my edit start some more, I have 2 options:

1. i have to hit the q-link button 3 more times to get back to the Sample start section..
2. or, my other option is to Hit shift then the q-link button to go back to the start editing (this requires the use of 2 hands because of the location of the shift and q-link buttons)

If the q-link could follow what i touch on the screen, it would be a huge work flow improvement, especially in the edit department! I wouldn't need the use of 2 hands and/or 3 button clicks to get to a specific parameter in any of the sections...

I know this request has been submitted, but seems that Akai has not delivered it in 2.3, 2.4.. Hopefully in 2.5? :popcorn:




yes the idea is good ...but.(MPC LIVE)......with the implementation in the new efx there is one big thing really not thought out.......it has to be possible to change parameters on the q links and another parameter outside of the qlink square with the big scroll wheel..... example... EQ..frequence and gain on the same band in the same moment ....etc...
By r4nd0m Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:26 pm
I wish I could replace samples in place - eg scrolling through different kicks while playing, and if I like it replace on pad - cant be difficult to load into memory and then prelisten/compare when you like it - press pad loaded - drop other sample from memory ... or I havent found it yet
By Caustic Yoda Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:58 pm
still waiting for them to ad sample latch/hold from a note on state, basic function of all legacy mpcs and any other brand sampler, cant belive this still hasnt been added apart from a dodgy work around thats far from ideal
By psychotka Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:43 am
Sorry for my english.

FEATURE REQ

1. Record motion sequences for each program, sequence, in realtime. Recording, on / off function and overwriting and deleting a specific sequence of motion. It would be nice to have 4 programmable slots for each sequence or program, each slot managed separately. It would be possible to program up to 4 any cc parameters for each pad for MPC live or external equipment. It would be a very useful feature when playing live.

2. Fast switching between Seq pads view, program pad view and mode in which we can play using pads after indicating a specific program. Switching could work by pressing a specific icon, for example in the header on the display. It would save a lot of time while playing live. It would not be necessary to enter the menu and select the appropriate option. A lot of people build a song from a single sequence while playing, arranging the tracks it contains. Such functionality was very pleasant to play.

3. The main path of chords progression. With the possibility of preview as ghost chanells on other paths. functionality allows you to keep everything in charmony while programming paths. Possibly highlighting the right notes in the piano on a given scale, key.

4. The ability to record live arrangements. When I produce, I create 1 main sequence in which all paths are located. Playing, I arrange them in flight. I would like to be able to record this arrangement together with the automations in real time in the time line. Each program = one path in DAW. As in, for example, ableton. Not as the final audio file only as midi messages

ALL OF THESE FUNCTIONS ARE ALLOWED FOR VERY FAST ARRANGEMENTS, OR THOSE AMAZING LIVE ACTS