MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By unready Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:28 am
83dude wrote:
unready wrote:Actually useful step sequencer. The current implementation is really tedious. It would be great if you could have everything on a single screen, like in Fruity Loops.

Sorry for the bad attitude, but:

Maybe you‘re better off using FL then.

Yeah but FL is a daw, you need a computer, and step sequencer is only one of the many features of MPC.
MPC is a portable groovebox for making music, very surprised you dont know that - being that we are on MPC forums. Check out the new models, Live, One and X - i think you will be absolutely astonished by these units. Maybe expanding your horizons will also make you refrain yourself from making incredibly silly and juvenile posts in threads like 'FEATURE REQUEST LISTS' :roll:
By 83dude Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:43 pm
unready wrote:Yeah but FL is a daw, you need a computer, and step sequencer is only one of the many features of MPC.
MPC is a portable groovebox for making music, very surprised you dont know that - being that we are on MPC forums. Check out the new models, Live, One and X - i think you will be absolutely astonished by these units. Maybe expanding your horizons will also make you refrain yourself from making incredibly silly and juvenile posts in threads like 'FEATURE REQUEST LISTS' :roll:

Again: Sorry for my bad attitude. You must have missed that. Considering my tone „juvenile“ seems rather appropriate (sorry again?), but not very mature as well.

I am really fed up reading about what the MPC can‘t do while it does 1017 jobs better than expected. It is not fruitful to read what tools can‘t do, but you wouldn‘t complain about having a hammer that won‘t saw wooden boards. People saying „FL will do that“ or „Ableton Live handles XY better“ usually don’t provide constructive criticism but indifferent moaning and headless complaints. MPC isn‘t FL, and that‘s what I wanted to impress.

This machine is a beast, but people expect the MPC to be an „eierlegende Wollmilchsau“, which it‘ll never be. It is made to complement your DAW and only replace it in parts. What marketing tells you might differ from that, but those complaints what people expect it to do just shows that most people expect wrongly.

I don‘t want to argue - but I‘d love people to reflect more what their device can and can‘t do beforehand. Don’t expect it to REPLACE a DAW. But thanks for your kind words anyways. :Sigh:
By HouseWithoutMouse Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:26 pm
- Elastique Pro for the standalone boxes. I just realized that the PC software has Elastique Pro... and Force has something called "Flatten Track Elastique", which does:

Flatten Track Elastique carries out the same operation as Flatten Track but renders any time-stetching or pitch-shifting through Elastique Pro giving higher quality results with less artefacts than Force’s inbuilt time-stretch algorithm

I guess it would be okay'ish to use Pro-Ten first for sketching.
By fadercap Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:57 am
Save Mute State:

By default, track mute state changes are saved in the current sequence.
If you mute or unmute a track, the sequence will save the mute states.

It would be beneficial to dictate whether or not you want this behaviour. For example, when building a live set out of different sequences - when rehearsing and un-muting tracks, these “un-mutes” will be retained when moving to the next sequence. Effectively ruining your initial mute states.

It could be implemented in a similar way to on the Squarp Pyramid.

“When in Track Mute page, press “Rec” to to disable saving sequence mute states (REC led will light up). If you mute or unmute a track, the sequence will not save the mute states. This allows you to mute and unmute tracks in TRACK MUTE mode, without losing your sequence’s track states. Switching a sequence restores it to its “default” state.

And example of this:

Un-saved mute state:
1. Seq 1 (Track 2&3 muted) (Stripped down verse)
2. Improvising and un-muting track 2. (Now track 1 & 2 are unmuted)
3. Moving on to sequence 2 (Tracks 1,2 & 3 are all un-muted - chorus)
4. Moving back to Sequence 1 (Tracks 1 & 2 are unmuted)

Saved mute state:
1. Seq 1 (Track 2&3 muted) (Stripped down verse)
2. Improvising and un-muting track 2. (Now track 1 & 2 are unmuted)
3. Moving on to sequence 2 (Tracks 1,2 & 3 are all un-muted - chorus)
4. Moving back to Sequence 1 (Tracks 2 & 3 are muted - like the original stripped down verse)

The implementation could be better (ie. a different button/combination than the Record button) but the functionality would be a game-changer for live use, giving the freedom to play with track mutes, without destroying pre-determined sections or arrangements.
By 40Beatz Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:19 pm
+1

And Track Reordering
By djst Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:05 am
Without having read through these 13 pages of feature requests, I'd assume this is already on there, but just in case:

Make the MPC workflow faster by implementing useful button shortcuts.

- Main + Pad to select track - make this faster by removing the initial 0.5 second lag

- Add a quick way to solo and mute the current track/program. Suggestion: leverage the Tap Tempo button as a control button. Hold Tap Tempo and hit Pad 1 to quickly mute the current track. Hold Tap Tempo and hit Pad 2 to quickly solo the current track. While holding Tap Tempo, pad 1 lits up red and pad 2 green as a visual aid.

- Pads 3-16 could then be configured to other smart shortcuts and color coded to easily remember them. Examples: skip forward/backward one bar during playback, transpose current track, etc.

- Make the + and - buttons under the control knob configurable to e.g. switch track, transpose track, solo/mute track, skip forward/backward one bar, move up/down one pad bank, etc.

- Make the Bank buttons (A-D) configurable as function shortcuts (example functions already listed above).

This would make the MPC so much faster to use, bringing it closer to the more immediate workflow of other grooveboxes like Elektron Digitakt.
By djst Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:23 am
Other related workflow speed improvements:

- Make it possible to tap a star to 'favorite' presets across all software synths, and by default, browse presets from this list. Choosing one would automatically switch the underlying synth plugin for you.

- Similar to the above, make it possible to star an fx and browse through only your favorite effects.

- Move the channel strip fx out to the Channel Mixer to make it more of an integrated part of the mixer rather than an insert fx. It deserves to always be present.

- By default, when renaming a track with an unused or empty program, give that program the same name.

- When adding a new track to one sequence, automatically copy that track/program pair to the other sequences in the project.
By Monotremata Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:15 pm
djst wrote:- Move the channel strip fx out to the Channel Mixer to make it more of an integrated part of the mixer rather than an insert fx. It deserves to always be present.

The inserts ARE in the mixer. Select a track and look at the left hand side of the screen, they're right there. There are also effect slots in the program itself, which you have to go into Program Edit to mess with, but the track/channel inserts are available on every track right in the mixer.
By SubstantialTax Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:35 pm
The ability to change buffer size and/or sample rate for class compliant usb interfaces.

Mine plays back samples from my SD card fine but there’s loads of cracks and pops when I record into it.
By Deepmojoman Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:50 am
Sidechaining Feature for MPC Plugin in Cubase (and, assumedly, for any other DAW).

I would like the ability to record Samples into MPC, within the Cubase environment. HALion 6 does this easily through the novel use of the Sidechaining Feature, allowing users to activate Sidechaining within the VSTi, and then, from an Audio Track elsewhere in Cubase, to route whatever audio you have inputting into that Audio Track, and Outputting it-via the Sidechain-into HALion 6. That way you are no longer restricted to having to import already recorded samples into HALion first before you can work on them. It is now an actual, full-fledged Sampler.

Last edited by Deepmojoman on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Deepmojoman Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:15 am
While we are on the subject of Cubase/DAWs, I will request a MUUUUCH better approach to recording MIDI notes into a DAW while using the plugin.

The current method: choosing a MIDI Program, routed to "DAW", and while within the DAW, having to choose "0x. MPC64 - MIDI Out" as the Input, falls apart pretty quickly:

1. First off, there's no easy way to monitor the sound that you're triggering (like, say, hearing a Drum Program that you're recording), because you're going to have to have selected a MIDI Program in it's stead. There is a way to do it from what I can tell-using the Channel Mixer-but it is completely unintuitive and overly complicated.

2. And-I saved the worst for last: since you have been using the "0x. MPC64 - MIDI Out" port to route your MIDI into your DAW, this means that you had to un-engage it's component: 0x. MPC64 - MIDI In, so as to avoid the crazy feedback you'd get if you made the mistake of keeping it engaged so you could monitor what you were recording in an easy way. Which means every time, right after the recording, you have to then un-engage the 0x. MPC64 Out, then re-engage 0x. MPC64 In, in a SUUUPER silly, completely tedious, easy to forget, un-user-friendly way.

Again, to use HALion as an example (and I use HALion because it's function is very close to MPC in this regard: a Multitimbral, Polyphonic VSTi capable of playing back samples as well as recording audio) their code has been written in such a way that it's Inputs and Outputs can remain hooked up to the sources and outputs that the user has chosen, and not forcing them to re-patch after every single recording. I would hazard to say that the vast majority of VSTis actually have this ability and it's high time that MPC simply join them in making recording MIDI into a DAW a far more easy and routine practice.

Thanks for your time.