MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lancerben Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:29 pm
Lampdog wrote:
Lancerben wrote:Allow a few more effects max (6 instead of 4)

You have 4 per pad, 4 per pgm/submix, 4 on master.

In total you have 12 to freely assign from sample all the way thru to master out.
There’s even 4 on return/sends.

8 separate submixes. 4 separate return/sends.

True... There is no real limit just convenience. If they are gonna allow that many instances of effects why limit to only 4 in the menu? I like seeing all my effects to prevent accidental compounding and keep things neat.

See a workaround I have right now with my vocals is I use my zoom l-8 mixer to power my condenser microphone and then send a custom mix with only the mic to the input of the MPC keys the I have 4 effects on the input... And I set up additional mastering type effects on the 3/4 output that I send back to my mixer. My mixer has a very nice reverb so I use that instead of the synth one... Output 1/2 are the synth sounds.

Crazy good how well it works. But I still run out of effects some voice stuff needs a lot of em... Limiter compressor EQ reverb delay, ducking, chorus harmonies etc...

I have a voice effect box that has over 10 effects at once and this keyboard replaced it because I actually prefer the voice tuner on it to the one I have in the voicelive by a small margin (each have their advantage).

But on the keyboard ita slightly more complicated and convulted. But it works. The other advantage of the mpc keys is the ability to go in and out of effect automatically... This MPC keys is a beast for sure. A few tweaks to the software and some add ons for futur versions could really take the market.
By Lampdog Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:15 pm
CPU limit maybe. In order to keep things rolling you can't just use up the CPU to the fullest, there needs to be an operating limit.

It's an MPC, it's not supposed to be a computer daw or even replace a computer daw. We all need to remember that when coming up with methods for producing.

MPC-Tutor wrote:MPC can only do what MPC can do..

or something like that.

Sounds like you have a damn good way of doing things though.
By Lancerben Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:20 am
Lampdog wrote:CPU limit maybe. In order to keep things rolling you can't just use up the CPU to the fullest, there needs to be an operating limit.

It's an MPC, it's not supposed to be a computer daw or even replace a computer daw. We all need to remember that when coming up with methods for producing.

MPC-Tutor wrote:MPC can only do what MPC can do..

or something like that.

Sounds like you have a damn good way of doing things though.

Yes for sure cpu can only handle so much but I haven't hit a limit yet for that but I have just started using the mpc recently.

Now I found another bug that may be simple to fix.
I tried using #4 output to send to a guitar sound effect module for some better distortion and fuzz and guitar specific effects.. And I found out out 3/4 is only a stereo output... It can't be split into two monos... The sound bleeds a lot through #3 output enough that adding gain to it on my mixer I can get the same. Volume as the #4 even when I command #4 only as an output.

So maybe just a firmware thing. It seems like they just do an attenuation to the left channel when choosing #4 as an output and it seems to be insufficient.

I was hoping to use #3 and #4 as mono outputs separately. I didn't try yet using #3 along with #4 maybe sending signal to it would hide that bug. I'll try that tonight.
By Lampdog Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:03 am
Lancerben wrote:Now I found another bug that may be simple to fix.
I tried using #4 output to send to a guitar sound effect module for some better distortion and fuzz and guitar specific effects.. And I found out out 3/4 is only a stereo output... It can't be split into two monos.

I’m testing this using mpc keys61, 2.11.7.
Outputs 3 & 4 can be split into 2 mono as expected.
I connected my ipad stereo outs into inputs 1/2. Routed 1/2 to 3/4 stereo and individually,
I muted, routed everything possible mono and stereo via options and menus while audio was running thru both inputs, There was no channel bleed via sound, there was no bleed via audio interface meters either.
Are your cables seated all the way in?
Any adapters in-between cables ends that may not be seated/plugged in correctly?
Are you mixng ts/trs cables/adapters (I don’t think that’ the problem but still gonna throw it out there.
Are you high enough?
Your not providing detailed step by step procedures in order for me to accurately recreate and help troubleshoot with you.
By Lancerben Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:51 am
Lampdog wrote:
Lancerben wrote:Now I found another bug that may be simple to fix.
I tried using #4 output to send to a guitar sound effect module for some better distortion and fuzz and guitar specific effects.. And I found out out 3/4 is only a stereo output... It can't be split into two monos.

I’m testing this using mpc keys61, 2.11.7.
Outputs 3 & 4 can be split into 2 mono as expected.
I connected my ipad stereo outs into inputs 1/2. Routed 1/2 to 3/4 stereo and individually,
I muted, routed everything possible mono and stereo via options and menus while audio was running thru both inputs, There was no channel bleed via sound, there was no bleed via audio interface meters either.
Are your cables seated all the way in?
Any adapters in-between cables ends that may not be seated/plugged in correctly?
Are you mixng ts/trs cables/adapters (I don’t think that’ the problem but still gonna throw it out there.
Are you high enough?
Your not providing detailed step by step procedures in order for me to accurately recreate and help troubleshoot with you.

What I was trying to do was send a dry guitar plug in sound to my mixer then that out to the guitar effect module...
I'm using TR cables straight into my mixer. Maybe I did something wrong I'll retry again. And this time I'll try sending a different sound into #3 output see if it still bleeds.

I did switch the cable on my mixer and the problem followed. I tried switching outputs on the keyboard problem followed. Big bleed.

Basically the output acted like it was just doing attenuation to the other side (3-4) not fully sending the audio signal the the specific channel.
I'll try again since you have good results on yours.

Maybe I missed something. I'll try again soon.
By Lampdog Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:32 pm
Was your source mono, only going into 1 input?
Did you apply any MPC STEREO efx?
Those stereo efx may be heard on the RIGHT side of the stereo pair (Output 4).
Could that be the "channel bleed" you heard?

When I tried it I didn't use efx because I know this already so I heard no efx stereo on Output 4.
By Avasopht Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:52 am
I'm sure it's been asked 1,000 times already, but why on Earth is Xpand!2 not an MPC Standalone plugin? They've already created a touchscreen interface when connected to the PC ...

It would be nice to fill in some of Fabric's gaps (or maybe they're planning on completely replacing Xpand!2).
By Lancerben Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:09 am
Lampdog wrote:Was your source mono, only going into 1 input?
Did you apply any MPC STEREO efx?
Those stereo efx may be heard on the RIGHT side of the stereo pair (Output 4).
Could that be the "channel bleed" you heard?

When I tried it I didn't use efx because I know this already so I heard no efx stereo on Output 4.

I wasn't able to replicate the problem tonight. But after thinking about it and the suggestions here I believe it may be due to the reverb effect on the mixer that wasn't all the way down. But I'm 98% sure I had it turned off. The mixer sometimes does some funky stuff so I can't rule it out.
By c-real Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:01 pm
c-real wrote:Hello,

I am the author of the online document which initiates this long topic (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tVz ... Lo8Hc/edit).

If you don't mind, I'd like to remove this document. In addition to not having enough spare time to arrange, edit, and organize it, I think that Akai is very disappointing concerning the update process (in terms of communication, professionalism, etc.). It's a personal point of view, which was forged with three years of beta programs and hunderd of requests and bug reports with many editors. So I am leaving the Beta program as well (and probably will sell my MPC Live which I never really used for gigs, but I will give an Ultros hack shot before), and this document, which is yet abandoned for years now, is not relevant anymore. I can give you the right to manage it, but I really think it's useless. It would be better to write a new one from scratch. Anyways, since Akai won't read it or consider it in any way, what's the point?

What do you think about it?

Thanks for letting me know,

creal.

Document removed from the internet, and beta program left. Thanks for all the contributions.
By HanHuman Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:11 pm
Laserbeak43 wrote:I'd love for the List Edit tool to employ "Tracker" functionality (MilkyTracker, DefleMask, Polyend Tracker), but I wouldn't know which section to add that to.

YES this would be a dream, LIST EDIT would have an option to display in grid divided by the TC setting. They would sell MPCs like hot cakes to a bunch of new people. AND please a lot of current owners. Yea, LIST EDIT should be switchable to a tracker view 100%, I've been trying to use it that way for a long time. Filling all the notes with STEP REC and then tweaking parameters, but that's not very practical. AKAI is probably way too dense to consider any of that though.
By dilingdong Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:49 pm
c-real wrote:Hello,

I am the author of the online document which initiates this long topic (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tVz ... Lo8Hc/edit).

If you don't mind, I'd like to remove this document. In addition to not having enough spare time to arrange, edit, and organize it, I think that Akai is very disappointing concerning the update process (in terms of communication, professionalism, etc.). It's a personal point of view, which was forged with three years of beta programs and hunderd of requests and bug reports with many editors. So I am leaving the Beta program as well (and probably will sell my MPC Live which I never really used for gigs, but I will give an Ultros hack shot before), and this document, which is yet abandoned for years now, is not relevant anymore. I can give you the right to manage it, but I really think it's useless. It would be better to write a new one from scratch. Anyways, since Akai won't read it or consider it in any way, what's the point?

What do you think about it?

Thanks for letting me know,

creal.

I was looking at your document for help with getting a working interface yesterday, plus I also added a ticket to Akai and they replied that the latest updates has a lot of bugs with 3rd party interface. So really bummer on that and I hope that they really manage to fix these bugs. They might as well bring out their own line of audio interface or just work with 1 company and make it all work out for both parties.
By Laserbeak43 Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:03 am
HanHuman wrote:
Laserbeak43 wrote:I'd love for the List Edit tool to employ "Tracker" functionality (MilkyTracker, DefleMask, Polyend Tracker), but I wouldn't know which section to add that to.

YES this would be a dream, LIST EDIT would have an option to display in grid divided by the TC setting. They would sell MPCs like hot cakes to a bunch of new people. AND please a lot of current owners. Yea, LIST EDIT should be switchable to a tracker view 100%, I've been trying to use it that way for a long time. Filling all the notes with STEP REC and then tweaking parameters, but that's not very practical. AKAI is probably way too dense to consider any of that though.

I was so excited when I had my first look at LIST EDIT. That quickly fell to a sense of disappointment. So much can be done there... I wonder if the MPC hackers can make a proof of concept and give it to them lol