MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Coz Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:11 am
Frisbi wrote:This Air reverbs is at the level of Valhalla or Eventide plugins reverb so its very welcomed but to have a good reverb it needs to be tweaked and chained properly.

The new reverb is ok but it’s not in the same league as Valhalla or Eventide IMO. It’s still useable but the sweet spot is hard to find.

I’d like to see a decent quality tape emulation effect added next. Something to tame some of those brittle sounding distortions and add a bit of movement to sounds.
By Manglepup Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:59 am
bredal187 wrote:The reverbs all lack hp / lp filters which, to me, is kinda big deal

I believe there is a hi/low freq tab within the Air Reverb, no?

I can see one in this screen shot at the bottom:

Bymember04959388 Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:45 pm
Manglepup wrote:
bredal187 wrote:The reverbs all lack hp / lp filters which, to me, is kinda big deal

Ah ah its true.
So a discussion about nothing.
By bredal187 Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:31 pm
Manglepup wrote:

Perfect... did not see that tab :-)
Bymember04959388 Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:46 pm
@ Yorgos

If you use it in send return, you have 4 slots. I think its more then enough to make a good chained reverb.
On Akai list of effects, they say it should be used in send return.
But anyway we just discovered that Air reverb HAS lp and hp filters so the discussion about that is over.
Or maybe someone else chimes in to complain that this Air Reverb has no eq. Then someone else complains about the lack of modulations and so on.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:59 pm
Frisbi wrote:Well Reverbs sound better if used as send effects.

Ye but it needs some hacking to get there :wink:
A nice tip for all you true Stereo Reverb freaks!So...you load this new Air Reverb to your returns and try to send your hard Left high hat.Guess what?It bleeds also to the right side!Here’s the hack that AKAI provided us with the width plugin..
We’ll be occupying 2 returns for this to work:
Return 1 Hard Left -> Stereo Width HardLeft -> Air Reverb Hard Left
Return 2 Hard Right -> Stereo Width Hardright -> Air Reverb Hard Right

This way anywhere you’re panning your high hat you’ll hear the Reverb following it!Makes it a wonderful way to precisely place a sound inside the spectrum..Been using this technique for Ableton’s native Reverb..
It would be great though to have a dedicated true Stereo send Mode for the Air Reverb so we won’t have to occupy slots & returns...
Maybe i’ll hit this up as a feature request :wink:
Last edited by Yorgos Arabatzis on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Danoc Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:12 pm
Frisbi wrote:@ Yorgos
But anyway we just discovered that Air reverb HAS lp and hp filters so the discussion about that is over.
Or maybe someone else chimes in to complain that this Air Reverb has no eq. Then someone else complains about the lack of modulations and so on.

:lol: :lol: You know the complanist well lol. You know they are going to want something. They want 8 slots for effects. This aint no SSL 9000 K mixing console. :lol:
Bymember04959388 Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:42 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Well Reverbs sound better if used as send effects.

A nice tip for all you true Stereo Reverb freaks!So...you load this new Air Reverb to your returns and try to send your hard Left high hat.Guess what?It bleeds also to the right side!Here’s the hack that AKAI provided us with the width plugin..

This way anywhere you’re panning your high hat you’ll hear the Reverb following it!Makes it a wonderful way to precisely place a sound inside the spectrum..Been using this technique for Ableton’s native Reverb..
It would be great though to have a dedicated true Stereo send Mode for the Air Reverb so we won’t have to occupy slots & returns...

Air reverb spreads the mono into stereo as many reverbs do.
If you want to keep the stereo image untouched use the Akai reverb on insert and the Air one on send
By Danoc Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:01 pm
Effect look really decent. Ill put my 2.4in tonight. :-)
By CharlesRandolph Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:06 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:

On the MPC, why not put 2 layers of highat on a drum pad. Then pan layer one hard left and layer two hard right. The slightly detune each layers and apply reverb. :)
By wavejockey Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:49 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Some of the biggest records, were made using the cheapest reverb. Personally, I only use convulsion reverb and I record my own Impulse Responses.

too bad there ain't no convulsion reverb in MPC [standalone]
or even in hardware
unless.... Tasty Chips ECR-1: comes true
https://www.tastychips.nl/?page_id=2025
Bymember04959388 Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:14 am
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:@frisbi
That’s what i’m telling you..Try it for yourself with the Air Reverb on the sends...No way to get a true Stereo like that only on insert for this too..My way though works on sends with both..

What do you mean with true stereo?
You mean a reverb that keeps the stereo image of the source?
I am not sure about what I say, but all reverbs i used (hw and sw) spread the stereo image somehow.
I am not sure I ever used a Reverb that keeps the same stereo image of the source, I think that working with depth and space, it has to change it in some way.
What do you think about that?