MPC X & MPC Live Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X & MPC Live, Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By lordradish Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:04 am
Hey, folks,

Now that I've got some nice keygroup programs, I'd like to dive in and assign effects to them, but I can't seem to figure out a way to do that with the individual programs. I'd like a lot of them to have some reverb. Do I have to assign that to the project, and perhaps use a template with the effects already assigned? Is there a way to just assign an effect to a program, that will load with it, any time you load the program? Or is that just for a project?

Thanks.
By Cockdiesel Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:35 am
Don't have a machine in front of me but would assume that you can on the program and pad level.

Here's what you do. Pick any of your keygroups, put your effect on it and try saving with a new name. keygroup becomes keygroup 1 or keygroup-reverb. I will see if it works on my end in a little bit here.
By lordradish Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:51 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Don't have a machine in front of me but would assume that you can on the program and pad level.

Here's what you do. Pick any of your keygroups, put your effect on it and try saving with a new name. keygroup becomes keygroup 1 or keygroup-reverb. I will see if it works on my end in a little bit here.


Tried that, no luck, though. How about you?
By Frisbi Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:59 pm
lordradish wrote:
Cockdiesel wrote:Don't have a machine in front of me but would assume that you can on the program and pad level.

Here's what you do. Pick any of your keygroups, put your effect on it and try saving with a new name. keygroup becomes keygroup 1 or keygroup-reverb. I will see if it works on my end in a little bit here.


Tried that, no luck, though. How about you?

I saw that some Mpc expansion we have on Live when we bought it actually have reverbs assigned on send and also every pad has its own send level when you load them.
So it must be possible somehow to save an effect preset and sends on xpm.
User avatar
By MPC-Tutor Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:27 pm
You configure send/return for an entire program in the channel mixer. Just select 'mixer:returns' at the top and add your reverb to return 1, then go to 'mixer:programs', select the SEND tab and increase the send value for whichever program you want the reverb applied.

Or on an individual pad/keygroup, go to program edit > effects and the sends are there.
By Frisbi Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:50 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:You configure send/return for an entire program in the channel mixer. Just select 'mixer:returns' at the top and add your reverb to return 1, then go to 'mixer:programs', select the SEND tab and increase the send value for whichever program you want the reverb applied.

Or on an individual pad/keygroup, go to program edit > effects and the sends are there.

Ok correct but I guess the thread creator wants to know if you can save your keygroup program with already aasigned effects on insert or send.
So that when you load it, it is already assigned.
I saw some expansions come with effects on the insert of some pads like a reverb on snare.
So is there a way?
By lordradish Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:11 pm
Okay, it didn't work. I followed your instructions, and resaved the program. When I loaded the program into a new project, there was no reverb, nor anything in the insert. Did I misunderstand something... does the new project I use have to already have that reverb as an insert? I was under the impression that it didn't need to be.
By lordradish Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:08 am
Perhaps... the insert effect is on the returm on the channel mixer, which I'd assume is for the project, not the program, and the program sends to it, if I'm understanding correctly. I didn't put an insert directly on that program track, as I wanted to be able to control the send. Did I do that correctly?
User avatar
By MPC-Tutor Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:04 am
lordradish wrote:Perhaps... the insert effect is on the returm on the channel mixer, which I'd assume is for the project, not the program, and the program sends to it, if I'm understanding correctly. I didn't put an insert directly on that program track, as I wanted to be able to control the send. Did I do that correctly?


If you want to independently save a program with fx, the insert effect needs to be inserted into the program. Send/Return is part of a project so cannot be saved in a program alone, all that is saved in the program is the 'send' level, the return contains the effect but that is saved in the project.

The way the programs are pre-configured with fx in expansions is by inserting the effect in program edit > Effects. Forget about sends. This isn't ideal for reverbs, but it's the only way to distribute programs with fx unless you are distributing it along with an entire project.
By Frisbi Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:27 pm
lordradish wrote:Perhaps... the insert effect is on the returm on the channel mixer, which I'd assume is for the project, not the program, and the program sends to it, if I'm understanding correctly. I didn't put an insert directly on that program track, as I wanted to be able to control the send. Did I do that correctly?

Just save the program with the amount of sends for any pad of the program, then save the fx you have on send return as a preset with the name of the program.
So you load the program, you load the send fx preset and its done.
By lordradish Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:17 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
If you want to independently save a program with fx, the insert effect needs to be inserted into the program. Send/Return is part of a project so cannot be saved in a program alone, all that is saved in the program is the 'send' level, the return contains the effect but that is saved in the project.

The way the programs are pre-configured with fx in expansions is by inserting the effect in program edit > Effects. Forget about sends. This isn't ideal for reverbs, but it's the only way to distribute programs with fx unless you are distributing it along with an entire project.


That's kind of what I figured, thanks for confirming.