MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
Bymember04959388 Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 pm
Fanu wrote:
Frisbi wrote:So if Akai puts Pdc on Mpc as many people request, that is a problem for me.

It's not like you're forced in the least to use plugins that cause that delay.
Even if that happened, you could still use your trusted plugins that won't cause delay.

Yes ok but my argument is that now there is no latency on play because there is no pdc.
But if there is pdc, even Akai and Air fx on standalone would cause Mpc to start with a latency calculated on those fx.
It is like this with Ableton, for example. Its never latency free on play even if you just use Ableton internal low quality effects.
I tested it.Ta
By Fanu Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 pm
Frisbi wrote:Yes ok but my argument is that now there is no latency on play because there is no pdc.
But if there is pdc, even Akai and Air fx on standalone would cause Mpc to start with a latency calculated on those fx.
It is like this with Ableton, for example. Its never latency free on play even if you just use Ableton internal low quality effects.
I tested it.Ta

No. PDC does not cause delay.
If the current Live plugins caused a notable delay, you’d already feel it because there’s nothing in place yet that’d make up for the delay. So don’t worry: if they work for you now, they’d work for you with PDC in place.
Something tells me though that it’s not coming soon...it’s been missing for 7 years.

Ableton Live with its 0-latency plugins is very responsive; if it’s not that for you, your system is faulty somehow.
Bymember04959388 Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 pm
Are you sure Pdc doesn't cause delay?
I thought pdc means that all tracks are delayed by the same amount which is the delay of a plugin that processes the sounds.
As I know, any processing causes a delay which is the amount of time needed by the algorithm to process and calculate.
Am I wrong?
Bymember04959388 Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:09 pm
Fanu wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Yes ok but my argument is that now there is no latency on play because there is no pdc.
I tested it.Ta

No. PDC does not cause delay.
If the current Live plugins caused a notable delay, you’d already feel it because there’s nothing in place yet that’d make up for the delay. So don’t worry: if they work for you now, they’d work for you with PDC in place.
Something tells me though that it’s not coming soon...it’s been missing for 7 years.

Ableton Live with its 0-latency plugins is very responsive; if it’s not that for you, your system is faulty somehow.

Are you sure Pdc doesn't cause delay?
I thought pdc means that all tracks are delayed by the same amount which is the delay of a plugin that processes the sounds.
As I know, any processing causes a delay which is the amount of time needed by the algorithm to process and calculate.
Am I wrong?
By Gadams8248 Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:41 pm
I’m a newbie with the MPC Live but I don’t agree that Akai will be releasing an MKII anytime soon. If I’ve learned one thing, harware manufacturers are getting better with software and keeping the hardware around longer. Look at the OP-1 (2011) and the circuit (2015). Both of those kit have been constantly updated and both have technology that is considered to be “outdated”.

Let’s get some HYPE, maybe some midi+audio recording and more tools to get even closer to a DAW. I feel like the WiFi can be fleshed out more and the Bluetooth midi can be bidirectional. In any event. Love this gear! It’s quickly becoming my favorite music tool
Bymember04959388 Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:55 pm
Gadams8248 wrote:I’m a newbie with the MPC Live but I don’t agree that Akai will be releasing an MKII anytime soon. If I’ve learned one thing, harware manufacturers are getting better with software and keeping the hardware around longer. Look at the OP-1 (2011) and the circuit (2015). Both of those kit have been constantly updated and both have technology that is considered to be “outdated”.

Let’s get some HYPE, maybe some midi+audio recording and more tools to get even closer to a DAW. I feel like the WiFi can be fleshed out more and the Bluetooth midi can be bidirectional. In any event. Love this gear! It’s quickly becoming my favorite music tool

Very nice.
Maybe you are right, I am not a marketing expert.
Yes I think this Mpc generation of 2gb is going to be over quite soon, the workflow is near to be good, maybe just disc streaming is missing and midi multi but i think in a year will be over and with this cpu and ram they put all is possible more or less.
I am happy you enjoy your Mpc, I also like it a lot. Have fun with it.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:14 am
Gadams8248 wrote:I’m a newbie with the MPC Live but I don’t agree that Akai will be releasing an MKII anytime soon. If I’ve learned one thing, harware manufacturers are getting better with software and keeping the hardware around longer. Look at the OP-1 (2011) and the circuit (2015). Both of those kit have been constantly updated and both have technology that is considered to be “outdated”.

MPC Renaissance 2012
MPC Touch 2015
MPC LIVE/X 2017
NEXT MPC: 2020/21 Possible?

Which gives the current MPC about 2 to 3 more updates. Possibly.
By Fanu Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:45 am
Frisbi wrote:Are you sure Pdc doesn't cause delay?
Am I wrong?

PDC makes sure that all tracks start equally late IF/when there are plugins that cause delay.
E.g., let's say you have a drums track and a bass track.
You put nothing on drums but you use a heavy tape emulation on bass track.
Without PDC, the bass track will be late.
With PDC, they will be in sync again but the playback will start a bit late (by the delay amount caused by the tape plugin).

If the current MPC plugins caused a noticeable delay, you'd already hear it as there's nothing to compensate for it. E.g., let's say the Air Channel Strip created a delay. If you used it on a track now, it'd sound late now as there's nothing to sync its playback currently.
The quickest way to realize this for example is by putting a limiter on the master on the software and listen to the metronome…it's off.
Bymember04959388 Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:21 pm
Fanu wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Are you sure Pdc doesn't cause delay?
Am I wrong?

PDC makes sure that all tracks start equally late IF/when there are plugins that cause delay.
E.g., let's say you have a drums track and a bass track.
You put nothing on drums but you use a heavy tape emulation on bass track.
Without PDC, the bass track will be late.
With PDC, they will be in sync again but the playback will start a bit late (by the delay amount caused by the tape plugin).

If the current MPC plugins caused a noticeable delay, you'd already hear it as there's nothing to compensate for it. E.g., let's say the Air Channel Strip created a delay. If you used it on a track now, it'd sound late now as there's nothing to sync its playback currently.
The quickest way to realize this for example is by putting a limiter on the master on the software and listen to the metronome…it's off.

So you are saying what I am saying.
Any track will have the same delay of the heavier plugin used, so it is aligned at the highest latency.
So Pdc causes all tracks to have the same delay and so as I push play, all will start delayed. Maybe its unnoticeable, but if you are playing with other people and you have to stay in sync, you will never get the exact beat, because even with 10 or 20 ms of delay, you will be out of sync
By Fanu Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:44 pm
Frisbi wrote:So you are saying what I am saying.
Any track will have the same delay of the heavier plugin used, so it is aligned at the highest latency.
So Pdc causes all tracks to have the same delay and so as I push play, all will start delayed. Maybe its unnoticeable, but if you are playing with other people and you have to stay in sync, you will never get the exact beat, because even with 10 or 20 ms of delay, you will be out of sync

Well, don't use heavy plugins!
In your use case, they will cause issues, whether you have PDC or not!
No-one will force you to use those plugins man. Just don't worry…
I'm getting the impression you're happy now...
Bymember04959388 Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:12 pm
Fanu wrote:
Frisbi wrote:So you are saying what I am saying.

Well, don't use heavy plugins!
In your use case, they will cause issues, whether you have PDC or not!
No-one will force you to use those plugins man. Just don't worry…
I'm getting the impression you're happy now...

I am very happy now because I can use Mpc as an instrument, this is why I have this Pdc fear.
By Fanu Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:45 pm
Frisbi wrote:I am very happy now because I can use Mpc as an instrument, this is why I have this Pdc fear.

I've tried to explain to you as well as I can why you shouldn't worry even if we get PDC but it seems you either don't understand how it works or you'll be forcing yourself to use the plugins that will cause issues, not the PDC alone…
Bymember04959388 Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:04 pm
Ah ah sorry I am too fearful :)
The solution anyway would be easy, just the option of switching PDC on and off.
I am reading now on internet, many Daws allow you to switch it on or off, so in this case you are right, nothing to worry about that.
By zangetsu01 Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:16 pm
Frisbi wrote:Ah ah sorry I am too fearful :)
I am reading now on internet, many Daws allow you to switch it on or off, so in this case you are right, nothing to worry about that.

What Fanu is trying to say is that if PDC doesn't detect any latency it will just stay silent and do nothing.

In other words if you continue to use the MPC Live the way you are doing right now regardless if PDC is implemented or not there will be absolutely no change.. It will not effect your workflow..

So there is no need to switch it on or off.. 'PDC' itself will know when to switch on or off..
Bymember04959388 Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:37 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Ah ah sorry I am too fearful :)

What Fanu is trying to say is that if PDC doesn't detect any latency it will just stay silent and do nothing.

In other words if you continue to use the MPC Live the way you are doing right now regardless if PDC is implemented or not there will be absolutely no change.. It will not effect your workflow..

So there is no need to switch it on or off.. 'PDC' itself will know when to switch on or off..

Ok guys thanks.
So I must not worry.
Anyway it looks like PDC is coming soon so lets wait and see.
If I understood correctly, it should arrive around May, maybe also disc streaming.
Then I am sure we will have a lot of things to discuss in May.
Now lets enjoy our finally good working Mpc.