MPC X & MPC Live Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X & MPC Live, Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:38 pm
Lampdog wrote:
Fanu wrote:Dudes are thirsty for updates.


Akai is training people to update, so when the next paid upgrade happens. They will be so accustom to updating, that there will be less resistance to pay for the next OS. Which is good because it pays for development. :nod: :nod:

Have you tried to use a NAS or SAN with the new MPC's?
By Frisbi Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:42 pm
@ CharlesRandolph

Ok but if they make me pay for an upgrade that fixes their own coding problems, I would call Akai and talk badly to them every hour.
If its an upgrade with new standalone plugins and fx, well, that would make sense.
By Eyalc Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:54 pm
Yes this has always been the expectation with other companies too. I agree - a paid update has to introduce NEW capabilities and functionality. Sure, include bug fixes too, but if only bug fixes... just can't charge for that in good faith. And will create a legion of unhappy customers. I don't think even Akai is THAT out of touch with consumer behaviors and expectations. i don't ever mind paying for an updated if it's worth it. FWIW, if 2.4 was a paid update, I'd still be on 2.3.

Regarding the Force - I agree - Akai has a history of releasing products that rehash old parts. It's always been a sign that something new is on the way. The Element, this new 88 key suitcase (I can't even remember the name of it - it's so memorable, lol), and now the Force. Don't forget this detail either - to me, was telling of what might be going on inside Akai (not necessarily bad or good - just interesting). The first branding we saw of the Force, it was called APC Live. Something happened (or didn't happen) with that relationship to make a change to branding on it.
User avatar
By Danoc Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:00 pm
I don't know what Akai is doing but if they ate upgrading the Live/X sw and firmare its all good.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:12 pm
Frisbi wrote:@ CharlesRandolph

Ok but if they make me pay for an upgrade that fixes their own coding problems, I would call Akai and talk badly to them every hour. If its an upgrade with new standalone plugins and fx, well, that would make sense.


That is what MPC 2.0 Software did for Renaissance and Touch users, particularly with MAC OS. When apple moves forward, everything breaks. Window's is better, but not much better. It's a cat and mouse game and the end user is stuck in between.

This is why Touch/Renaissance users had to pay to upgrade. Plus their is difference between bugs and requested features.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 pm
Eyalc wrote: Don't forget this detail either - to me, was telling of what might be going on inside Akai (not necessarily bad or good - just interesting). The first branding we saw of the Force, it was called APC Live. Something happened (or didn't happen) with that relationship to make a change to branding on it.


They are changing the culture, perhaps a changing of the guard is in the works. I also think end users are now conditioned by smartphone and tablets. So they expect more and more updates. Many think bugs and new features are the same. I bet Akai get more feature request, than actual bug reports. That's why so many silly bugs are still there. It's a needs vs WANTS, then we get more effects and splice integration. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Frisbi Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:53 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:Image

If Dan says this, it will be this. He never tells lies.
Yes I agree with Charles, today marketing requires frequent updates to keep customers happy and attract new ones.
Its more possible that Akai develops a platform like vst for standalone and then you will want to pay some money and choose the plugins you want to add.
And unfortunately there won't be hackers communities to have them free.
But if they make good prices, I would consider it.
User avatar
By Bezo Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:16 pm
My guess is they won't charge for an upgrade until the next generation of hardware hits, same as it was for Studio/Renaissance owners.

As for 2.5, I hope they focus on the software and getting it closer to DAW status. I'm not so secretly hoping they create an ecosystem that I don't have to leave to complete a song. A complete set of mixing tools in the software would do that:

PDC
VCA tracks
Stereo PANNING
Multi-output plugin support
1 or 2 other things I always forget when making this list

Gravy for me would be some more stand alone VIs, specifically acoustic instruments. Extra gravy would be the Serato Sample feature set in the MPC.
By Frisbi Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:32 pm
Bezo wrote:My guess is they won't charge for an upgrade until the next generation of hardware hits, same as it was for Studio/Renaissance owners.

As for 2.5, I hope they focus on the software and getting it closer to DAW status. I'm not so secretly hoping they create an ecosystem that I don't have to leave to complete a song. A complete set of mixing tools in the software would do that:

PDC
VCA tracks
Stereo PANNING
Multi-output plugin support
1 or 2 other things I always forget when making this list

Gravy for me would be some more stand alone VIs, specifically acoustic instruments. Extra gravy would be the Serato Sample feature set in the MPC.

I have one fear connected to pdc.
As I understood, Pdc is just that a software applies the latency of a plugin to all tracks, in order to keep all in sync.
I choose an Mpc to play with other musicians, so I need that there is zero latency when I press play. So this zero latency on play for me is crucial.
I never could make it with computers, there is always a latency when you press play on a software and I guess this latency comes from Pdc.
So if Akai puts Pdc on Mpc as many people request, that is a problem for me.
User avatar
By zangetsu01 Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:58 pm
Wont be a problem in stand alone.. and also if there is no latency present pdc won’t even start to calculate for a possible compensation.. So you’re safe..
By Unreallystic Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:22 pm
Frisbi wrote:Yes I agree with Charles, today marketing requires frequent updates to keep customers happy and attract new ones.

Its not updates, its content. Content is king. People ask for updates when something isn't working as intended or is missing something that should be there for the long term health of the product, outside of that, its about content. When I first started digging into my MPC Live, the first thing I noticed was the room for growth under FX, and I wondered if they were going to sell us FX-add-ons. I STILL wonder about that, but it also extends to synthesizers. I wouldn't be mad at it, I'm familiar with other platforms supporting long term deployment via paid-content (Rainbow6 Siege AAAYYYY)..so if they opened up their FX to outside groups, and they were quality, I'd pay. The same thing for synthesizers. I'd love a proper FM synthesizer in the Force, or a Serum style wavetable synth. They aren't expected though.
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 pm
Unreallystic wrote:Its not updates, its content. Content is king. People ask for updates when something isn't working as intended or is missing something that should be there for the long term health of the product, outside of that, its about content. When I first started digging into my MPC Live, the first thing I noticed was the room for growth under FX, and I wondered if they were going to sell us FX-add-ons. I STILL wonder about that, but it also extends to synthesizers. I wouldn't be mad at it, I'm familiar with other platforms supporting long term deployment via paid-content (Rainbow6 Siege AAAYYYY)..so if they opened up their FX to outside groups, and they were quality, I'd pay. The same thing for synthesizers. I'd love a proper FM synthesizer in the Force, or a Serum style wavetable synth. They aren't expected though.
- Unreall



As far as FX Add-On for the MPC it would not work well.

How would you install them?
How would you test them to make sure they, aren't using up resources or cause other coding issues?

Also the MPC platform is not large enough, why would a 3rd party make a plug in for it, when they can make a VST plug in and the MPC End users, can work with them with the MPC Software or any other Software DAW.

MPC Expansions packs are not flying off the shelf, imagine what a effect plug would do. :lol: Now if Akai sold 100,000 of these units, it could work. However, I'm not even sure they made and sold 10,000 units. But like most, I would like to see more actual bug fixes and GUI improvements.