MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Fauxstradamus Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:10 pm
I apologize if there is already a post addressing this issue, but I have not seen one yet.

Some of you have indicated that you have used the MPC Live in standalone mode to make records.

But how do you do this given the limitation of 8 audio tracks in Standalone Mode?

This seems like a MAJOR weakness of standalone mode.

I am working hard to learn the MPC Live and I'm creating song ideas (sequences). My goal is to do what some of you have done----make complete albums using the MPC Live. I plan to get help with mixing and mastering help from my friend who owns a commercial studio.

But, alas, as I'm getting close to having my first song arrangement done, I was reminded of the fact that the MPC Live can only handle 8 audio tracks in standalone mode. I do not ever want to have to use controller mode as the reason I purchased the MPC Live is so I do not have to use a mouse with a computer (a traditional DAW) to make records.

I'm not concerned about mixing limitations of Standalone mode but I need to be able to export 10-13 audio tracks or stems for every song so that I can get mixing help from others who do work with DAWs. As my songs are coming together, most of them seem to have 9-12 tracks consisting of a combination of MIDI tracks, audio tracks and internal plugin tracks (Tubesynth, Bassline and Electric). As I mentioned, I recall (had forgotten) that the MPC Live can only handle 8 audio tracks at a time in standalone mode??? So I'm wondering how you are creating entire albums in standalone with the 8 track limitation?

I need to be able to export 12 or more audio stems FROM STANDALONE so that my friend can help me mix my songs.

I assume that you are limiting yourself to only 8 tracks in every song?? This is really a bummer to me---I did not know about the 8 track limitation when I bought the MPC Live. Have I really run up against a brick wall? No way I can limit myself to 8 tracks. This seems like a major weakness of the MPC Live.

AM I STUCK USING CONTROLLER MODE IF I WANT TO BE ABLE TO EXPORT 12-14 AUDIO TRACKS (STEMS) PER SONG TO ENABLE SOMEONE ELSE (WHO KNOWS AND LIKES DAWS) TO MIX AND MASTER MY RECORD FOR ME?????

Thanks!
By DJSpaceP Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:08 pm
I don't believe audio export is limited to 8 tracks, and in fact, you can even "explode" individual instruments on a single track to multiple audio files.

So, even if you have a couple of dozen tracks or more, within the limit of 8 or fewer AUDIO tracks, you should still be fine generating all the audio file stems from your material, even in standalone.
By Fauxstradamus Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:01 pm
Thank you very much, DJSpaceP.

This is probably a stupid question, but given what you are telling me, what is the 8 audio track limit about then? What does it mean? If you have 15 MIDI synth tracks and you convert all of them to audio and then export stems for external mixing, does that not mean that there is not really an audio track limit in the MPC Live? I don't understand what is limited compared to what you can do in controller mode.

OR . . . Does it mean that I can't EDIT AUDIO for more than 8 audio tracks in Standalone mode (cut and paste audio, etc.)? If so, that is not a problem for me because I'm going to do final mixing of my album in my friend's studio using another format (maybe ProTools or whatever).

Or, does the 8 audio track limit refer to the number of actual audio tracks one can record (like vocal or instrument audio tracks) as opposed to converting MIDI tracks to audio for export? Put another way, if the goal is to export the audio from 20 MIDI synth tracks for mixing in a music studio on, for example, Pro Tools, what does the 8 audio track limit prevent me from doing in Standalone mode?

Thanks again. Much appreciated.
By Danoc Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:50 pm
8 audio tracks can be used various ways.

1. Import audio to start jump drums in standalone mode, as a scratch pad.

2. To mix and match different audio tracks to se which one you like using ooops.

3. If you can gain stage in standalone you could mix an entire record to the 8 track audio.
A. Tracks 1&2 mix, pan and EQ etc ALL your drums and percussion sounds.
B. Tracks 3&4 all vocals.
C. Track 5 would be for the, mono!
D. Track 6 for guitars, any instrument along that line.
E. Tracks 7&8 for melodic sounds like strings, pads, drones, pianos, textures etc.

It can be done because l did it in the past.

Peace
By Fauxstradamus Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:43 pm
Thanks, Danoc.

I'm not sure I understand how what you are saying relates to what I'm hoping I can do with the MPC Live in Standalone mode.

Assume I have 12 MIDI tracks and maybe one audio track (say a recorded guitar).

I want to do a rough mix in the MPC of all 13 tracks, and then I want to either export individual stems (tracks) to I can take them to someone else for final mixing and mastering or I want to mix my 13 tracks totally in the MPC and then export a two-track stereo file so I can give it to someone on a disk so they can master my record for me.

DJSpace informs me that the 8 track limit (limit of 8 audio tracks) does not prevent me from exporting 12 or 13 audio tracks most of which are simply MIDI tracks (like synth tracks) converted to audio.

But it sounds like you are not agreeing with him?

Put another way, say you have 9 MIDI tracks in your song in the MPC and you start converting them to audio one by one. When you get to the 9th track does the MPC prevent you from converting the MIDI track to audio?

I guess one option is to haul all my synths down to my friend's studio and to hook them up to the MPC and then to run my sequence (song) and record it in realtime. But that would be a massive PITA!!

Thanks for your help, guys. I appreciate you taking the time to try to explain this to me.
By DJSpaceP Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:33 pm
DJSpace informs me that the 8 track limit (limit of 8 audio tracks) does not prevent me from exporting 12 or 13 audio tracks most of which are simply MIDI tracks (like synth tracks) converted to audio.

This is correct. You can even mix many more than 8 tracks within the Live, but again, any more than 8 audio tracks is not allowed. What happens for the sequenced MIDI tracks is that you are mixing the realtime audio output of the triggered samples, synths, etc. that is being streamed into your eq/fx/level/etc for your control. This is also what happens when stems are created, except that the audio is sent to files, and for many applications, you might want to disable the FX and EQ during export for "dry" stems if you want to have more control over the final mix.
By Danoc Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:39 am
Fauxstradamus wrote:Thanks, Danoc.

But it sounds like you are not agreeing with him?

Its not that l disagree with DJ l just know a different method to get to the conclusion you are looking for.

Dj is right you can deal with multiple tracks in midi. You're taking a road that is tedious and unnecessary. You can mix everything down then get it mixed and mastered.

I could simply say explode all your midi tracks export them as stems. Take all your stems to your friends studio , arrange , eq, mix and get it mastered.

Don't get to stuck on the 8 audio tracks.
By 40Beatz Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:35 pm
I thought the "8 Audio Track Limit" was pertaining to Mixing within the Standalone Realm. Meaning you can mix and edit 8 Audio Tracks within a Project at any given time. I believe you can Export as many Audio tracks as your storage device can handle(outside of the Project).

I may be wrong...
By J.O.BEATS Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:13 pm
40Beatz wrote:I thought the "8 Audio Track Limit" was pertaining to Mixing within the Standalone Realm. Meaning you can mix and edit 8 Audio Tracks within a Project at any given time. I believe you can Export as many Audio tracks as your storage device can handle(outside of the Project).

I may be wrong...

If you are trying to mix all those midi tracks in the MPC has audio and not midi you just need to convert them to samples. Depending on how long those midi tracks are etc you should have the memory to handle it

Think of the audio tracks as a hard disk recorder. The only time I use the audio tracks is if I'm recording an MC or singer over the beat. I've made whole songs in the MP this way