MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Schmidi Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:43 pm
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm getting frustrated. All I want to do is assign some basic synthesizer parameters to my Q links in a Keygroup Program. Stuff like ADSR, Filter cutoff and res. basic controls so I can "play" my sounds.

I made a video showing the issue I'm having:
Bymember04959388 Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:58 pm
From Menu, go to Qlinks mode, enable project mode, select a qlink, on the right select the keygroup program on upper box.
On the box down to that, you have all the assignable options of keygroup.
By Schmidi Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:52 pm
Thank guys.

My worry is if I map it in project mode, if I load that keygroup in a different set, then it won't retain that mapping.

I'm guessing that these mappings are saved with the project and not the program. That's too bad, but I guess I gotta work with it.
By c-real Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:17 pm
[quote="Frisbi"]On the box down to that, you have all the assignable options of keygroup.[/quote]

The thing precisely is there is no box such like that. Contrary to drum programs, which provide a "type" submenu with two choices (program, pad), we unfortunately don't have access to a "type" submenu with two entries (program, keygroup) for a keygroup program. Worse than that, we can't automate parameters for all keygroups simultaneously.

To sum up, keygroup parameters (not the ones belonging to the program, but those which belong to a specific keygroup, or all at once) are not q-link assignable nor MIDI learnable. For the cutoff and resonance parameters, there is a workaround consisting in assigning a filter in a program insert (assuming that a slot is available), but for the envelope, we are powerless :?

For hip-hop producers, it may not be a problem, but for electronic producers, it could be frustrating. Imagine you sample your analog synth with the super "autosampler" feature. You set a length about 10 seconds for each sample, with a very tiny attack set on the envelope of the hardware synth. That way, you think that you can modulate the release on-the-fly to make a progressive legato to pizzicato effect on a running melodic sequence. You can't. Same thing if you try to make the attack more smoothly.

I assume that it may not be the Akai team's priority (multitimbral MIDI and audio streaming, to name just a few, are probably more expected), but this feature misses for some people. The MPC Live is called Live and there are some inconsistancies which don't allow us to be fully comfortable in live situations, this thing among others (mute assignements, q-link leds, select a pad without triggerring it in main mode, erase pad notes without the erase gate function, looper buttons not learnable, etc.).
Bymember04959388 Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:14 pm
c-real wrote:
Frisbi wrote:On the box down to that, you have all the assignable options of keygroup.

The thing precisely is there is no box such like that. Contrary to drum programs, which provide a "type" submenu with two choices (program, pad), we unfortunately don't have access to a "type" submenu with two entries (program, keygroup) for a keygroup program. Worse than that, we can't automate parameters for all keygroups simultaneously.

To sum up, keygroup parameters (not the ones belonging to the program, but those which belong to a specific keygroup, or all at once) are not q-link assignable nor MIDI learnable. For the cutoff and resonance parameters, there is a workaround consisting in assigning a filter in a program insert (assuming that a slot is available), but for the envelope, we are powerless :?

For hip-hop producers, it may not be a problem, but for electronic producers, it could be frustrating. Imagine you sample your analog synth with the super "autosampler" feature. You set a length about 10 seconds for each sample, with a very tiny attack set on the envelope of the hardware synth. That way, you think that you can modulate the release on-the-fly to make a progressive legato to pizzicato effect on a running melodic sequence. You can't. Same thing if you try to make the attack more smoothly.

I assume that it may not be the Akai team's priority (multitimbral MIDI and audio streaming, to name just a few, are probably more expected), but this feature misses for some people. The MPC Live is called Live and there are some inconsistancies which don't allow us to be fully comfortable in live situations, this thing among others (mute assignements, q-link leds, select a pad without triggerring it in main mode, erase pad notes without the erase gate function, looper buttons not learnable, etc.).

Yes you are right there are some strange limitations on Mpc here and there that sometimes have no reason. For example I didn't notice you cannot assign envelopes of keygroup to qlink and now that I know it, I think it doesn't have any sense.
I also make electronic music, not hiphop, and I make soundtracks for movies and theatre shows and I learnt to work with Mpc keeping in mind that I need to develop fast workarounds to avoid those weird random limitations we are talking about.
Its been quite hard at the beginning but after a year I am happy with my Mpc Live, it changed my way of composing in a better way, I was working with a Mac and Ableton for 10 years and I was composing in a automatic way and when I realized that, I switched to Mpc which I find fast and funny to use.
Yes I support your request, make a request through Akai module on Akai official forum, it seems they read it, after I made some requests they even contacted me.
And I would add to your request a modulation matrix and an improvement of Lfo page, its still a bit too basic for me.
By c-real Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:47 am
Frisbi wrote:Yes you are right there are some strange limitations on Mpc here and there that sometimes have no reason. For example I didn't notice you cannot assign envelopes of keygroup to qlink and now that I know it, I think it doesn't have any sense.
I also make electronic music, not hiphop, and I make soundtracks for movies and theatre shows and I learnt to work with Mpc keeping in mind that I need to develop fast workarounds to avoid those weird random limitations we are talking about.
Its been quite hard at the beginning but after a year I am happy with my Mpc Live, it changed my way of composing in a better way, I was working with a Mac and Ableton for 10 years and I was composing in a automatic way and when I realized that, I switched to Mpc which I find fast and funny to use.
Yes I support your request, make a request through Akai module on Akai official forum, it seems they read it, after I made some requests they even contacted me.
And I would add to your request a modulation matrix and an improvement of Lfo page, its still a bit too basic for me.

Good idea. I just sent the request :) Concerning the modulation matrix and the LFO, I added those to the FR online document (check my sign if interested). I also took the opportunity to report a bug (when sampling with pad tap/hold function, it automatically set the pad mute group to 32, which kills the possibility to make loops on-the-fly).