MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By escapetheclouds Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:37 pm
On the MPC Live, I want to be able to press one pad, but have it cycle trigger other pads.

Let's say I have Pad 2B setup with an acoustic snare drum, with four layers of velocity. Then I set up pad 2C with variations of the same snare, with another four velocity layers. Then, I go to Pad 2A, leave it silent, but set it so when I play it, it cycles between 2B and 2C, triggering those pads' respective sounds.

In that instance, I could get eight sounds (or more, if I wanted to add Pad 2D, 2E, etc.) for the snare while only having to actually play Pad 2A.

I used to be able to do this on my MPC 1000 with JJOS XL, to create really nice, natural-sounding acoustic kits with subtle variances. Is there something I'm missing on the MPC Live that can do this? If not, that's really disappointing.
Last edited by escapetheclouds on Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By wavejockey Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:42 pm
link pad(s)
setup pad 2B with four layers with velocity switch 0-63
setup pad 2C with four layers with velocity switch 64-127
By MPC-Tutor Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:33 pm
Yes, simultaneous play will effectively allow for more than 4 velocity-based layers (20, if you use all 4 additional simult slots). But only for velocity switching, not 'cycle'. If the pads are set to cycle, simultaneous play will just play all the pads together. The MPC doesn't currently allow you to combine cycle and velocity switching, unlike JJOSXL.

Would definitely like the ability to configure round robins 'per velocity layer'.