MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Unreallystic Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:16 pm
This is more of an open question, but how have people been incorporating it into a set? Is there some value it brings over having say a Digitakt or Tr-8s? I'm trying to grow as a musician when it comes to "live" content, and was wondering about trying to bring the Live into the fold, but unsure to what benefit.
- Unreall
By Caustic Yoda Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:40 pm
yep i wouldnt attempt a live set completely on the live as it goes silent during loading times, i bring a digitakt and sp303 on the master, that way always can cover loading times and lots more fun stuff to play with
By Bezo Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:19 pm
If you don't mind @Unreallystic, I'd like to ask specifically, are folks "playing" stuff or triggering/arranging sequences during live sets?

My serious guitar playing days are long behind me, and I never was a performer, more of my own studio musician. And I'm a decent finger drummer at best. But being here and reading about folks playing live has me thinking about my ability to do so.

Caustic Yoda wrote:yep i wouldnt attempt a live set completely on the live as it goes silent during loading times, i bring a digitakt and sp303 on the master, that way always can cover loading times and lots more fun stuff to play with
I've read numerous posts regarding the Live not being the best machine for live performances. I too am curious if anyone is getting away with the Live being their only sequencer on stage.
Bymember04959388 Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:47 pm
I use Mpc Live as central hub, I connect some external fx and kaoss pad to its 3/4 and 5/6 and then all to a firewire mixer.
I use sequences, track mutes and qlinks to play and arrange in real time and when I want to record, I connect the mixer with firewire to a mac and record 3 stereo channels to edit later.
This way I always play live even when I record a song, this is what I was looking for when I buyed Mpc Live.
By Caustic Yoda Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:52 pm
I do sets of finger drumming for a crew of mcs aswell as instro more sequencer based stuff, the live is great for drumming, better than any prev mpc, just the silence when loading even the input thru goes silent so is such a vibe killer and always means i will need another sampler or playback device in my load out to cover embarasing silences
By DJSpaceP Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:16 am
I've traditionally used DJ setups (decks, mixers), grooveboxes and synths for live performance, but I'm in the later stages of building out pure live performances on the MPC.

So far, there are no showstoppers, although a couple of things aren't exactly ideal, coming from a more A/B style of working. It's been a process coming to grips with the MPC workflow and some idiosyncrasies where it seems like the project workflow wasn't really designed for long-form sets with multiple songs.

To compensate, and with some learning and online research, I've built up a workflow where I do the bulk of my song creation on the live in standalone mode, with a single project per song. My songs are fairly lightweight in terms of RAM because I'm not using much long-form audio. I'm mostly working with drum and melodic sampled instrument programs, some clips programs and the onboard synth plugins.

In terms of RAM, I can fit a couple dozen songs worth of material into memory without having to overthink it. I just have to pay attention to organization and naming conventions so I can see what's what at a glance.

The issue with long sets and the Live is dealing with project loading and transitions. No one at a dance club or similar event will tolerate "dead air" and the jarring lack of a smooth transition while I load the next song project, And I really don't want to take a bunch of other gear to compensate when the Live is supposed to be a one-stop-shop. I mean, it IS called the "Live" after all, is it not?

So, in order to maintain as much continuous performance in the Live as possible, my current method is to work on each song project separately, then use the MPC desktop software to drag-and-drop sequences and programs from each song into a master project for the target live performance set, then once all the songs have been merged in this manner, I push that master project to the Live.

There are some things that have to be planned, such as crossfades and other transitions between songs, but the recent feature where launched clips will continue to play even as you start another sequence is a lifesaver here.

Also, if you plan on maintaining separate songs and merging them for live performances, you need to plan on sharing project settings across your songs so that there are no surprises when merging into a master multi-song project. Things like master insert fx or any shared programs need to work across the sequences of various song projects that will be merged.

Anyway, this is all doable and I'm satisfied that this is working well enough that I can leave the other gear at home, although I do use an Arturia Keystep for some parts of the song performances.

Again, some aspects aren't ideal, but personally, the MPC Live is the only game in town for the kind of highly portable mixed-media drum sequencer/melodic sample/synth/clip music I want to create and perform. With all of the controls and fx and everything else in the box, I'm willing to bend a little to find workarounds if I can do floor-filling sets with a single box.

I picked up my Live used (perfect condition, BTW) for only $750, so in that regard, it was a steal in terms of bang for the buck and a way to effectively replace several other pieces of gear.

I'm on a little hiatus, but I have some live shows coming up starting in mid April and May and my intent is to be "free" of other gear by then. It's all coming together, but I do still have my work cut out for me over the next few weeks. My first show in April is relatively local, so I'll have a couple of extra pieces of gear as backup, but after that, I'll take the training wheels off.