MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By styx Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:14 pm
I'm on 2.4 and running my MPC X standalone.

When I create a MIDI program within a sequence I set MSB, LSB, MIDI Ch and Program Ch to point at the appropriate synth/patch/etc. All good.

If I create a new track in the same sequence, or a new track within a different sequence in the same project, I may want to use the same program. However when I scroll through the program list to select one the already-tweaked program I want to use for this track has got the MSB, LSB, etc. reset to the default values (but they're still OK on the previous track/program instance). I have to change them again. And again when I create another track. And again. And so on. A pain.

I've tried using the Duplicate to Track option. The manual says it creates an identical program. This creates a new track for but with default values for the program rather than those I've set.

I've also tried saving the program alone to its own place in the drive. When I load it in to a project it comes with all the default values rather than those I've previously set prior to saving it.

The manual indicates that a program may be used by many tracks within a sequence (I quote "Programs are independent of tracks and sequences, so you can set multiple tracks to use the same program. Furthermore, you can use the same program/programs across multiple sequences.") It doesn't seem to me that it does completely without me having to tweak the MSB, etc, of each instance of the sequence/track/program combination.

Is this a bug or have I misunderstood something somewhere?

Many thanks for your input.
By DeaDeus Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:38 am
It is as you experienced it - and I am unhappy too. Would be nice if one could keep defaults once set for a track.
Can you please tell me which external machines you are triggering with midi.
I (and some others) have a bad experience by e.g. switching channels on the start of a sequence. There is a slight timing issue with midi and its rather slow serial data transport, if external machines are triggered at the start of a sequence.
Workaround is to:
- switch the initial set-up of external machines in an empty very short pre-sequence, and
- send further midi data rather at the end of a pre-sequel than on the start of the next sequence.....
By styx Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:54 pm
Yes, I've found the MIDI delay too. I've an Ultranova, a Proteus 2000 and a DTXtreme. The Proteus seems OK with patch changes at the start of a sequence but the Ultranova glitches and doesn't play the full note, and the DTX plays the first note(s) slightly late. However they all seem OK when the sequence loops the second and subsequent times.

Never noticed this on my MPC 4K but then I used to set up all the patches directly on the external gear rather than sending change messages from the sequencer itself.

Thanks for the workaround; I've been experimenting with that myself.
By renegadebliss Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:52 pm
There is a slight timing issue with midi and its rather slow serial data transport, if external machines are triggered at the start of a sequence.

This is NOT an issue with Midi and slow serial data transport. This is an issue with MPC Live/X. As Styx indicated this does not happen with the MPC 4000. The MPC 4000 even has a slower CPU and it doesn't exhibit any of this behavior.

I use the MPC 4000 change my 6-8 Synths Program Changes at the beginning of each sequence. I have it send SEVERAL Midi CC messages to "set" the filter and envelope to specific settings for each synth, it also, sends a Midi Program change to my P3 Sequencer to switch it's sequence. It switches my MPC 4000's Multi , the Multi (held Programs/FX/Mixer settings) for that particular song. This happens instantaneously. I use Next Sequence and switch between my different songs in my set. All my Synths switch to the appropriate setting , the P3 switches it's sequence, the MPC switches Multi's and all it's programs and settings and this happens in real time and I "DJ' my different song live, switching between them, everything automated, non stop, no silence. I do 2 hour plus sets, all rock solid.

I keep eyeing the MPC Live, but wonder if I used Live in my set, if it is going to be MPC 4000 & Live because of Live's limitations... that's a shame.

Does the MPC Software have this limitation, or is it just when using it in Standalone mode?

Does MPC Software/Live/X have the concept of "Multi's" that the 4000 had?

-- Dave
By DeaDeus Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:35 am
It must be a systemic issue. The all new Force has the same problem. The answers from AKAI are always the same, without admitting that something is wrong.
- https://getsatisfaction.com/akai_profes ... clock-sync
I can read that not everyone is having an issue with MIDI drifting (I have btw.).
The MPCX is my first AKAI box, after using the Yamaha RS7000 for ~11 years. And hearing the drift, I realized that I have heard this several times in pop songs. And I always thought this would be some kind of artistic gimmick to drift the timing.
- Now I am pretty sure: they have all used AKAI boxes.

It sounds like the 4000 is more stable compared to the other AKAI boxes.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=160327
By styx Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:05 pm
FWIW the slight timing glitch as each sequence starts and the MPC X sends the Program Changes to the external boxes I mentioned above seems to "disappear" when I render the whole song as a single sequence and play that. At least the test I did this afternoon indicates such.

And the original problem with MIDI Programs I mentioned at the start of the thread I've reported to Akai as a bug on the suggestion of Nick D on the Akai forum.