MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By vwkountz Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:09 pm
robleighton22 wrote:In my mind a more clever approach would be a module based ecosystem with the Live as a hub. If they had a q-link module, a mixer module, input upgrade, a step sequencer module, etc they would make way more cash potentially as more ppl are likely to buy into a base Live first and get sucked into additional add-on hardware. However, they've cannibalized their own product line as customers have to choose one or the other.

The Force is a confusing choice as well. I love MPC pads and I love step sequencers...but im unlikely to have both from Akai as both products together have too much crossover without enough added value for the price).

Look how popular midi hardware and euroack modular is. If Akai pioneered the standalone daw hardware ecosystem they would be massively stepping into new territory with lots of potential. I actually think an all in one device is asking too much.

I agree because the Live is a nice portable unit that Akai knew people would add some sort of controller too it. They could have offered a 16 Qlink controller with OLED displays that worked in standalone and controller mode. Then offer it with a functions that allowed the use of multiple Qlink scenes for X /Live and Force users. Protecting the X sales and creating an exclusive add-on that worked out the box with the MPC code.
By EnochLight Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:54 pm
Lampdog wrote:This is a midi controller but IF it were an MPC X + Kybd sexy styled like this I would stand up and take notice.

I actually have that MIDI controller keyboard - it's the Nektar Panorama P4. I can attest that it's certainly not gig-worthy (it's cheap plastic and the faders/knobs are very fragile), and the pads are some of the worst in the industry (also, it only has 12 of them). If Akai were to make a quality keybed designed like that, but also have 16 pads of the quality we expect, gig-worthy pots and faders, at least a 7" screen like the Live and X... it would probably cross the $2500-$3000 threshold, and certainly not be portable. :WTF: :vomit:
By Cockdiesel Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:47 am
EnochLight wrote:
Lampdog wrote:This is a midi controller but IF it were an MPC X + Kybd sexy styled like this I would stand up and take notice.

I actually have that MIDI controller keyboard - it's the Nektar Panorama P4. I can attest that it's certainly not gig-worthy (it's cheap plastic and the faders/knobs are very fragile), and the pads are some of the worst in the industry (also, it only has 12 of them). If Akai were to make a quality keybed designed like that, but also have 16 pads of the quality we expect, gig-worthy pots and faders, at least a 7" screen like the Live and X... it would probably cross the $2500-$3000 threshold, and certainly not be portable. :WTF: :vomit:

Think it could be scaled back and streamlined with the same battery power as the live? Maybe reach a 1500-1800 price point?
By e-smile-z Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:38 am
The idea is great and awesome to use. The build quality feels veeeerrrrrryyy cheap and the keys are horrible.

I would buy a panorama in novation remote sl mk2 hardware quality:popcorn:
By EnochLight Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:26 pm
e-smile-z wrote:The idea is great and awesome to use. The build quality feels veeeerrrrrryyy cheap and the keys are horrible.

I would buy a panorama in novation remote sl mk2 hardware quality:popcorn:

I was an early adopter (and advocate) for Nektar Tech and the Panorama series, but I've come to realize the same. Keys are "meh", and the pads are simply horrible. Faders/knobs are laughably cheap. And they never took the initiative to update the line with more modern expectations (doing the T-Series instead and concentrating on the lower cost LX lines). I really wish Nektar would have kept the Panorama as a premium line and just kept developing it, but they really lost the plot. :hmmm:
By Danoc Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:23 am
Its not even studio worthy IMO. Cheap part that feel like crap. I play keys and tested it years ago and it felt like trash.
The Roland A-30 and A-33 feels much better than that. I wouldn't recommend that to no one.

EnochLight wrote:

By Cockdiesel Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:45 am
think knobby sampling hardware keyboard. don't slack on the build quality. The akai vip software was pretty good from what I remember and Might be cool to have that in hardware. I had the advance 49 and it really was decent. The force is kind of like a keyboard groove box more than anything... So I don't think it would be to far off to have a true keyboard. Honestly the force is beyond powerful as a "keyboard" groove box. I don't like programming drums on it but making melodies I feel it's unparalleled. I could easily see it being as the R and D for a dope traditional keyboard.
By Bezo Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:50 pm
A 49 or 61 key board similar to the Panorama, but with 16 pads would be cool.

For the sake of space on the board, I'd take one without pads to pair WITH the Live.

I also wouldn't mind a "mixer" similar to the Panorama P1 to pair with the Live (quality & footprint of the Live).
By robleighton22 Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:04 am
Yeah a mixer module and step sequencer module would be great. Even easier, more sophisticated mapping of existing Akai midi controllers, e.g. the Fire, would suffice. They need to get midi working in both directions via usb first.