MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:41 pm
:lol: :lol: I'm just messing with ya. When I first saw Redrum ( Reason V. 3) I was like " :WTF: is this ugly crap".

As time went on, I was liking it, then Kong came. I thought Kong would be it, but I liked Redrum more than Kong. the things you can do in it, which straight forward. I can shape the transients of a sound, I can set up my hihats with the ease. It's not fair how easy it is LOL :lol: I love Reason period, it basically saved me when Protools Le at the time failed me. :Sigh:
I do my music in Reason and mix in it, but I don't master in it. The things Reason have now bro, is bananas, and the 3rd party refills now are sick! So it's all good.

Enjoy it when you do go back to Reason.

Unreallystic wrote::lol: I'm not hating on Redrum, I personally don't like it and know I'm in the minoiritty, most people act like Kong doesn't exist. It's most likely tied to me feeling like Kong was accessible - it did exactly what I wanted, when I wanted, and how I wanted, and that was also tied to my skill level in general when I was still using Reason (4-7). I hope to give Reason another chance in the future, most likely when I get to build the second studio (going to break my studio into (3) areas, main area is Ableton/Akai/Outboard Gear/Recording Focused, second area will be Reason/FL Studio/Maschine, just production via PC for when other producers come through *hopefully*, and the third area will be a creative music space...and bar), and when I do give Reason another chance, maybe I'll start to pivot to redrum, the things I hear people do is way more than what I used it for pre-Kong.
- Unreall
By Duke Money Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:09 am
Unreallystic wrote:So the irony of this is that IMO, Akai has catered too much to non-hip-hop beat makers, considering we are where the popularity really comes from. I could dump 75% of the preloaded content simply because its not hip-hop nor even something I can use to transform IN to hip-hop. I don't even need the clips, unless there is some memory minimization that I don't know about that can be achieved this way. I mean honestly, I'm not really sure what else you can expect. Over time I hope they deliver more synth options, and more FX options, but it seems "wrong" to be displeased because a SAMPLER has a feature added to make accessing online samples easier. I mena keeping it a buck, its not like Splice is just hip-hop either...you get out what you put in.
- Unreall
I think you need to get a Korg , a workstation would do fine korg has wonderful sounds and can do the things you need but the MPC is rightfully after the money Rap is the number one genre that's a given and in rap/hip hop/trap/ music you don't work with sound design you take sounds already perfected and get straight to it and with that said what would you need to get straight to it well rolls, chains, effects, layers and not last nor least samples/loops, so if you like to twek sounds you should get a korg workstation, make sounds and then sell them but if you want to make beats and notice i said beats not classical music then the mpc has virtually everything you need but here is what will happen you will get a korg and see how involved it is and the deep learning curve and you will miss the ease of the mpc now you complaining about the korg with that said it's never the machine it's the user. A move to connect with splice was brillant now you don't even have to worry about inspiration because with millions of sound it will be very easy to get in the zone.
By Duke Money Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:18 am
Frisbi wrote:I understand Splice can be useful for someone and I appreciate Akai implemented it smoothly so I just say I will skip it and never use it.
I wish Akai consider all the people like me who don't produce HipHop and don't rely on external downloaded clips to make music.
Mpc has a huge potentiality in terms of working with generation of sounds, synthesis, sampling, resampling, and so on.
I would love to see some effort from Akai on that perspective.
The Air synths are a good start for that, especially Electric that I find very useful but we are still on the basic side. But the idea is good.
It looks like Hype, an addition on Force, will come to Mpc and it seems its based on a similar idea, to construct sounds from some sound blocks but I didn't try it yet.
I think that there is still something missing on that horizon. We don't have nice granular effects for example. We cannot use the looper with just a track or a program for example. These things would help us a lot to build our custom sounds and layers and use Mpc as a real electronic inatrument on a live perspective, in a similar way to the modular attitude.
I mean, Mpc has all the potientiality for that but its not exploited this way.
It could be of course, in the way Elektron is making. And Mpc has more power then Elektron.
Anyway 2.3 and 2.4 were a good start for that, I really hope Akai is aware of that.
I think you need to get a Korg , a workstation would do fine korg has wonderful sounds and can do the things you need but the MPC is rightfully after the money Rap is the number one genre that's a given and in rap/hip hop/trap/ music you don't work with sound design you take sounds already perfected and get straight to it and with that said what would you need to get straight to it well rolls, chains, effects, layers and not last nor least samples/loops, so if you like to twek sounds you should get a korg workstation, make sounds and then sell them but if you want to make beats and notice i said beats not classical music then the mpc has virtually everything you need but here is what will happen you will get a korg and see how involved it is and the deep learning curve and you will miss the ease of the mpc now you complaining about the korg with that said it's never the machine it's the user. A move to connect with splice was brillant now you don't even have to worry about inspiration because with millions of sound it will be very easy to get in the zone.
By Danoc Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:42 am
No true! You can sound design and make Trap music. Who told you that everyone should take what's out there to make trap? Tweak with a Korg keyboard? Most Producers are using software like Omnisphere , Nexus 2, Serum, etc. You weren't specific on what Korg you're talking about.
I don't use hardware periid and do just fine. Not everyone does Trap bruh.

Duke Money wrote:
rap/hip hop/trap/ music you don't work with sound design you take sounds already perfected and get straight to it and with that said what would you need to get straight to it well rolls, chains, effects, layers and not last nor least samples/loops, so if you like to twek sounds you should get a korg workstation,
By Unreallystic Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:05 pm
I'm getting so frustrated with "trap". Its so over done, but its so good. It's like someone playing a Mishima in Tekken or a shoto in Street Fighter.

for me personally, I am BEYOND good when it comes to software and hardware I have Ableton, I have FL Studio, I have an older Reason I can dust off, I have a Digitakt, I have the MPC Live, I have the Akai Force, then for sounds I have Komplete Ultimate, I have the System-8, I have the FA-06, I have both DrumeBrutes, I got the D-05, I got the Moog Minitaur, I got a system-1, I got a MicroBrute, I got a Volca FM and Drum, I got a Peak, and I can go on and on. If I can't make music with what I have, then I need to just stop wasting money.

The only real conflict I have is "who am I making music for?", It's a more existential question, that has an affect on how the music is made. I rapped first and only got into beat making and then production and engineering, because my friend who produced was too slow, and kept the best stuff for himself. I just turned 37 though, no one wants to hear my a$$ rap, but I'm still an artist first, but I can make a profit selling beats, and hopefully, when stacked with other ventures, escape the corporate world to do music full time.

If I am making music for myself, I can create a full landscape. I can organically fill the entire audio spectrum whenever I want. Sound design really matters.

If I am making "beats" - what boils down to "Mass Producing" for me due to speed, sound design is a complete waste of time. No one will care or even notice the subtle LFO used to vary the velocity of the hi-hats. No one will care how complex I make my progression(s). In fact i have to filter OUT a lot of range and a lot of the dynamic aspects to make room for vocals. Neither rapper or singers like overly busy or complex beats, it makes it harder for them to stand out.

so I am good on everything but time heh.
- Unreall
Bymember04959388 Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:56 pm
Honestly to divide beat making and sound design is a bit silly attitude.
Just definitions.
As Unreall said, it depends what you have to do and why you do it.
You like trap, you download beats, you make trap. Good. Its your way, not better or worse then the others and so you like to have Splice.
I don't like Trap, I don't use downloaded beats, that's ok. Not better or worse then anyone.
For me Splice is totally useless.
For you is a game changer.
Good.
Let's go on.
You had splice and you are happy.
I would love other standalone plugins, maybe they make it and I 'll be happy.
By lih Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:45 pm
mr_debauch wrote:i seem to remember there was a tool you could get that let you pack stuff into refill files.

yea. refill packer, iirc it’s in the folder where the application is