MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Unreallystic Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:23 pm
But the resources for fixing bugs - and adding content - are typically TWO different resources - and have little to nothing to do with each other. The addition of Splice has nothing to do with the delay of bug fixes and vice versa. Splice integration was just as much about work Splice had to do on the back-end, as what Akai had to do on the MPC side of things.

As for long term, Splice won't change what they are over the next 2-3 years, and most likely, support for these devices *directly* would have ended, and these devices surpassed, before that is even feasible. There is a better chance of Splice going under, and us left with a *dead* feature, than Splice going a different route. Will they branch out, yeah - what they've done with Serum is actually a big deal, paving the way for other pay-to-play VSTs, so I fully expect that feature to grow, but that runs parallel to hosting samples. Heck, most likely there is a contract between Akai and Splice that dictates a minimum duration of support.

I dunno, it just seems like a lot of negative energy for additional options. I can understand wanting bug fixes, but this has been in the works for a while now, before those bugs were identified (realistically), and even if the feature doesn't "pan out" in the long run, it doesn't take away from promised original functionality of what we paid for.
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:30 pm
Unreallystic wrote:But the resources for fixing bugs - and adding content - are typically TWO different resources - and have little to nothing to do with each other. The addition of Splice has nothing to do with the delay of bug fixes and vice versa. Splice integration was just as much about work Splice had to do on the back-end, as what Akai had to do on the MPC side of things.

As for long term, Splice won't change what they are over the next 2-3 years, and most likely, support for these devices *directly* would have ended, and these devices surpassed, before that is even feasible. There is a better chance of Splice going under, and us left with a *dead* feature, than Splice going a different route. Will they branch out, yeah - what they've done with Serum is actually a big deal, paving the way for other pay-to-play VSTs, so I fully expect that feature to grow, but that runs parallel to hosting samples. Heck, most likely there is a contract between Akai and Splice that dictates a minimum duration of support.

I dunno, it just seems like a lot of negative energy for additional options. I can understand wanting bug fixes, but this has been in the works for a while now, before those bugs were identified (realistically), and even if the feature doesn't "pan out" in the long run, it doesn't take away from promised original functionality of what we paid for.
- Unreall

Is this your first MPC?
Bymember04959388 Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:25 pm
Unreallystic wrote:But the resources for fixing bugs - and adding content - are typically TWO different resources - and have little to nothing to do with each other. The addition of Splice has nothing to do with the delay of bug fixes and vice versa. Splice integration was just as much about work Splice had to do on the back-end, as what Akai had to do on the MPC side of things.

- Unreall

Man, I think 2 years is enough to make a bug-free OS, what do you think about it?
I bought a device called Live to play live but how can I make a concert with it if I have glitches as I move from main page to track mute page?
And no, the team that fixes bugs is the same people who codify new features on Mpc and is the same team that also develops Force.
By 40Beatz Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:01 pm
Akai is tryin to Balance Releasing A Bug Free OS and Roping in New Customers with Added Feature Updates and New Units!! Its all about Economics. The Key is get New Customers in that "New 2020 Model Vehicle". The "2017 Model Vehicle" can now go to the Used Car Lot and continue its life there lol
By Unreallystic Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:22 pm
Frisbi wrote:Man, I think 2 years is enough to make a bug-free OS, what do you think about it?
I bought a device called Live to play live but how can I make a concert with it if I have glitches as I move from main page to track mute page?
And no, the team that fixes bugs is the same people who codify new features on Mpc and is the same team that also develops Force.

If I'm wrong on team, I'm wrong on team, but even at that, there is a balance they have to strike, to keep finances going for the team, they have to continue selling units, to continue selling units, they have to keep adding things so they have a reason to advertise and pull in new customers.

As for the glitches, it is 100% dependent on what is causing the issue. I code at work, and there are long standing glitches in my stuff that I have not fixed, because its a cascading issue that requires a rework of a TON of stuff, so even if its a priority, with the amount of rework that maybe involved, I try and finish everything that's already in que, before I go back. I do NOT know anything about the coding for these, NONE, and not pretending, but if the glitches are happening during a "transition", then its most likely a difficult to solve problem, or has a difficult to apply solution. Couple that with some of the stuff we know is coming down the pipeline that will change how a lot of things under the hood work, and I'd wager some of those fixes are wrapped up in that update. #$hrug
- Unreall
By xlylax Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:06 pm
love the splice integration. its such a time saver especially if you are looking for new drum samples. it has spiced up my MPC game a lot. I just wish Akai would stay on top of the firmware. still buggy when going from song mode back to regular play mode.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:20 pm
xlylax wrote:love the splice integration. its such a time saver especially if you are looking for new drum samples.

Time saver? How's that? The problem is that it doesn't actually let you 'search' Splice itself. All it does is download/sync your existing Splice library with your MPC drive.

Seems it would be significantly more useful if they just let you sync your MPC with a folder (or folders) on your own computer. That folder could contain all of your sample library, including all the sounds from your Splice account. It could also be used as an automated wifi backup system for all your projects.

Instead they've gone for a very limited, affiliate-focused sync.
Bymember04959388 Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:45 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
xlylax wrote:love the splice integration. its such a time saver especially if you are looking for new drum samples.

Time saver? How's that? The problem is that it doesn't actually let you 'search' Splice itself. All it does is download/sync your existing Splice library with your MPC drive.

Seems it would be significantly more useful if they just let you sync your MPC with a folder (or folders) on your own computer. That folder could contain all of your sample library, including all the sounds from your Splice account. It could also be used as an automated wifi backup system for all your projects.

Instead they've gone for a very limited, affiliate-focused sync.

Take a look at the new Air drum synth 500 for Pro Tools.
Maybe coming later on Mpc?
It would be much more useful than any Splice subscription
Bymember04959388 Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:01 pm
Unreallystic wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Man, I think 2 years is enough to make a bug-free OS, what do you think about it?

If I'm wrong on team, I'm wrong on team, but even at that, there is a balance they have to strike, to keep finances going for the team, they have to continue selling units, to continue selling units, they have to keep adding things so they have a reason to advertise and pull in new customers.

As for the glitches, it is 100% dependent on what is causing the issue. I code at work, and there are long standing glitches in my stuff that I have not fixed, because its a cascading issue that requires a rework of a TON of stuff, so even if its a priority, with the amount of rework that maybe involved, I try and finish everything that's already in que, before I go back. I do NOT know anything about the coding for these, NONE, and not pretending, but if the glitches are happening during a "transition", then its most likely a difficult to solve problem, or has a difficult to apply solution. Couple that with some of the stuff we know is coming down the pipeline that will change how a lot of things under the hood work, and I'd wager some of those fixes are wrapped up in that update. #$hrug
- Unreall

Ok I clearly understand the problems with coding with such sofisticated devices, but I think that in an Mpc- historically famous as one of the first playable electronic instrument- the fix of glitches should be the very FIRST priority.
Damn, it's an Mpc first and it's been called Live for some reason.
Akai should solve that glitch as soon as they can if they want their new generation Mpc be reliable and trustable for musicians.
By Danoc Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:34 pm
Tutor is that how it works? :WTF: You're saying it doesn't let you search the entire sound set that's on their site? :hmmm: This is confusing. I thought you were able to search just like regular paying Splice members who doesn't have a MPC.

MPC-Tutor wrote:
By Danoc Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:38 pm
:worthy: For real.
Frisbi wrote:
Ok I clearly understand the problems with coding with such sofisticated devices, but I think that in an Mpc- historically famous as one of the first playable electronic instrument- the fix of glitches should be the very FIRST priority.
Damn, it's an Mpc first and it's been called Live for some reason.
Akai should solve that glitch as soon as they can if they want their new generation Mpc be reliable and trustable for musicians.
By Unreallystic Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:36 pm
My mailbox has been spammed to hell with the Air 500 drum stuff. A Drum synthesizer would be terrifc. I haven't personally dug into the included synths to see how well they can make their own percussion sounds, so I don't want to undersell them at it, but having flashbacks of what I could do in Reason, let me make various drum sounds, save them as samples, and drop them onto a pad to possibly layer with some back end if I want to...main that would be fun. I guess I know what I'm messing around with next week haha *side tracked, sorry*
- Unreall
By MPC-Tutor Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:39 pm
Danoc wrote:Tutor is that how it works? :WTF: You're saying it doesn't let you search the entire sound set that's on their site?

That's right, you can't actively 'browse' the Splice site nor purchase new sounds from within your MPC. All it does is download your existing Splice library to your MPC drive. It's just a file sync, nothing more. It's one step up from downloading your Splice library to a USB stick and manually popping it into your MPC.

They could have configured this to sync with any file server or even your entire computer. That would have been infinitely more useful.

If it actually launched an interface to browse the Splice site directly, demo new sounds, purchase and download those sounds in real time directly to your active project, then yes, game changer. But it doesn't.
By Bezo Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:40 pm
When I sample, I'm more so creating instruments/multi-samples, so I doubt Splice would help me much. I chop stuff up on occasion, but yeah, I'm not looking to outsource procurement of samples. However...

As I play & program 99.9% of my stuff, MIDI might be a benefit. Not sure if it was here, but someone mentioned some of the samples come with MIDI. Aside from that, do they offer MIDI only "packs"? Are MIDI packs even a thing?