MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:05 pm
totally forgot this thing existed. I was one of those who were into Open Labs joints. Timbaland and Tim & Bob got me open to it then the company shut down. Later under new ownership came with new joints.
Open Labs DBEAT PRO PRODUCTION STATION l really like how this was built. It has what the X/Live should of had minus Ableton live.

Underneath the hood, this digital audio workstation sports a 3GHz Intel Core2 Duo CPU with 4GB of RAM, 320GB hard drive, and a high-speed dual-layer 8.5GB/disc CD/DVD burner. It gives you an iPod cradle, FireWire, USB, DVI-I Video, and Ethernet ports for easy connectivity to all your peripherals. It also has comprehensive I/O capable of up to 24-bit/96KHz audio with 4 in / 6 out including 2 phantom-powered mic preamps with DIs. S/PDIF I/O and MIDI I/O.

A dual layer CD/DVD burner? The X dont even have that. Smh. 4gigs of Ram? What was Akai thinking? Giving us 2 gigs ram. Not one but two phantom powered mEtherne with Di's? Dammmm! Charlesrandolph would love this, Ethernet port :-)
Attach a monitor up to it via DVI-I, see that's what l wanted, to connect a screen to it in standalone. Only thing l don't like is its 20 lbs and Ableton live on it. Presonus made its firebox and l know you can add VSTi to it but what about another DAW like Presonus S1v3. I kid you not if it could take S1v3 l would of sucked up the weight and bought this!
lm sure it can export and explode. Squencer wise l would of been in S1v3 and no worries. It has serious power. No battery and l would suck that up too and still got it.
9 freakin faders! Holy s***! You can seriously mix and burn to DVD. Light aluminum? Dope!

The live/X should been built better than this machine.

What do you guys think?

Aesthetically its a beautiful looking machine too.

By Danoc Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:38 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:This is what MPC should've been after the MPC 4000. They could still do this now with much more power.

Indeed. If they did now l wouldn't buy into it. It's to late for me to invest in it. I have 2 DAWs and the live. They should of caught me with just Reason. Plus l have all the trimmings.

If they do make another machine they need to put 4gig ram in it and can expand to 16 gig ram.
By Bezo Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:01 pm
A Live MK2 modeled after this would be sweet!
Less the CD burner, plus more/optional RAM upgrade, 2-4 more cores, MPC software on board & bought up to par with other DAWs, updated I/O, Controller Mode for additional power...

This is where the MPC should be going IMO. Not just an instrument capable of standing alone, but a true extension of the CPU when it does.
By Eyalc Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:07 pm
This was the one product they made that I thought had a chance. The others had too many failure points IMO. Everything lumped into one. Great idea, but not very practical. And I remember a lot of people having issues because of that. Was their undoing ultimately. And they had people thoroughly confused that the music they were capable of making on it was different. Had everyone thinking that if they bought the Timbaland version, they'd sound like Timbaland. People were saying "listen to this! I made this on the Miko!!!" LOL They came around at a time when the industry needed saving, but their cape didn't quite fit. LOL

This one though - had a chance I thought. Just couldn't disrupt the industry enough.
By Lampdog Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:12 pm
Eyalc wrote:... They came around at a time when the industry needed saving, but their cape didn't quite fit.

Excellent analogy, truth. People think this with MPC's too. Thinking they gonna sound like Pete Rock. PR has his own brain. Peeps need to invest in their own as well.

If you aint got it you aint got it, learn it, get it!
If you got it, flaunt it!

Either way, you can win, but dues must be paid, pay them YOUR way.
By Danoc Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:50 pm
:worthy:
Except for the MPC software on board. If it could accept other DAWs and VSTi why want the MPC software? I would stack it with waves VSTi's.

Oh by the way, Waves has an insane sale today. Buy one $29 plugin get the other for FREE!

I just bought Flow Motion synth and for free and the H-Reverb. Sick!

Bezo wrote:A Live MK2 modeled after this would be sweet!
Less the CD burner, plus more/optional RAM upgrade, 2-4 more cores, MPC software on board & bought up to par with other DAWs, updated I/O, Controller Mode for additional power...

This is where the MPC should be going IMO. Not just an instrument capable of standing alone, but a true extension of the CPU when it does.
By Danoc Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:51 pm
LOL :lol: yep they almost got me.

Eyalc wrote:This was the one product they made that I thought had a chance. The others had too many failure points IMO. Everything lumped into one. Great idea, but not very practical. And I remember a lot of people having issues because of that. Was their undoing ultimately. And they had people thoroughly confused that the music they were capable of making on it was different. Had everyone thinking that if they bought the Timbaland version, they'd sound like Timbaland. People were saying "listen to this! I made this on the Miko!!!" LOL They came around at a time when the industry needed saving, but their cape didn't quite fit. LOL

This one though - had a chance I thought. Just couldn't disrupt the industry enough.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:01 pm
Eyalc wrote:This was the one product they made that I thought had a chance. The others had too many failure points IMO. Everything lumped into one. Great idea, but not very practical. And I remember a lot of people having issues because of that. Was their undoing ultimately. And they had people thoroughly confused that the music they were capable of making on it was different. Had everyone thinking that if they bought the Timbaland version, they'd sound like Timbaland. People were saying "listen to this! I made this on the Miko!!!" LOL They came around at a time when the industry needed saving, but their cape didn't quite fit. LOL

The moment I saw the iPod dock. I was like, "bad idea" this won't catch on. Also they we're relying on other companies. software and O.S. :nod:

Lampdog wrote:Excellent analogy, truth. People think this with MPC's too. Thinking they gonna sound like Pete Rock. PR has his own brain. Peeps need to invest in their own as well.

If you aint got it you aint got it, learn it, get it!
If you got it, flaunt it!

Either way, you can win, but dues must be paid, pay them YOUR way.

Tell this to people buying the SP12 & SP1200 aka the poor man's "E-Mu Emulator 3". :lol:
By hansjbs Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:26 pm
This is one of the readon why I kept the dbeat and sold my Neko. It was the best product they had. The Neko was great for what it was, Thank God I didn't pay all that money for it I would have been upset. I wasn't falling for they timbaland thing either but some people did.
My dbeat has been painted black already. Next on the to do list is to do an overall upgrade with a much smaller motherboard and ssd drives.
By Danoc Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:15 pm
l saw Open Labs stop supporting their product. Frankly the things cost to much. Timbo didn't affect me. He uses Mkii l think that's
What l see. He aint got no gold edition of the Niko lol