MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:08 pm
Manley hardware joint is really dope.

You will be amazed at the thousands of people that don't do gain staging.
In the gain staging process you do all your filtering, compression, EQing, side chaining, leveling, bussing (gluing tracks), panning, effects, making sure there's no noise floor and analyzing.
Once you do this process for so long you're able to quickly do it.
So now when l master l don't need a big ass chain to master.
My chain is simple.
1. EQing, for sweetness.
2. Binaural syereo widening.
3. Limiter, to make the track loud to hit at 0.0db.

But that L1 Ultramaximizer by Waves that l use is so sweet. I use it mainly on bass because of the higher bass frequencies that jump out at you. I keep that under control with the L1 and the bass sits so sweet in the mix. :smoker:
By Cockdiesel Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:36 am
FWIW. I would rather send my 2 track out to a hardware compressor and a tc finalizer than the equivalent on the mpc, or even most vst. Is it just polish on a non-professional track, yes. So I see where people would want to use these things even at a hobbyist level. I pass through a lot of gear buying and selling so I get to atleast scratch the surface on some of this stuff, you can't buy and sell VST like hardware.

That said, there are some good presets on the maximizer but I have not used it other than to quickly find a preset to get my keygroups louder. I have made many tracks all on the mpc live, only using a computer to upload the track but I really got into trouble when adding the "mastering" effects and just exporting straight to mp3. Maybe with more practice I could dial it in better, but you do your self a big injustice by cutting corners and not taking more serious. Taking the extra few steps in so valuable in terms of learning.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:10 am
Cockdiesel wrote:FWIW. I would rather send my 2 track out to a hardware compressor and a tc finalizer than the equivalent on the mpc, or even most vst. Is it just polish on a non-professional track, yes. So I see where people would want to use these things even at a hobbyist level. I pass through a lot of gear buying and selling so I get to atleast scratch the surface on some of this stuff, you can't buy and sell VST like hardware.

That said, there are some good presets on the maximizer but I have not used it other than to quickly find a preset to get my keygroups louder. I have made many tracks all on the mpc live, only using a computer to upload the track but I really got into trouble when adding the "mastering" effects and just exporting straight to mp3. Maybe with more practice I could dial it in better, but you do your self a big injustice by cutting corners and not taking more serious. Taking the extra few steps in so valuable in terms of learning.

If you know what you're doing, you can use the MPC to master a song and people would not be the wiser. However, if you know what you're doing. You would select the tools that makes the process more efficient. So many people struggle because they are too cheap, to invest in a GOOD ROOM and good gear.

It's just that easy. Good Room, Good Speakers, Good Cables, MPC, some patience, ability to learn and no EGO!
By Danoc Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:57 pm
I use my trusty Studio One to master. But like Charles said if you know what you're doing you can mix and master in the New MPCs. It's a matter of if you want to. I can do a mix in it, but wouldn't master in it.

my mastering chain.