MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By nikshona Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:05 am
It would be nice if Akai make this simple device, because it will open lots of possibilities in mpc live and x. Now we have some parameters, which depends on velocity (and start point too) - velocity randomizer can make our results incredible and unpredictable.
Hopefully, Akai will hear that.
By 40Beatz Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:28 pm
Humanize Velocity on particular track. They may have heard you awhile ago. :lol:
By MPC-Tutor Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:05 pm
I think he's probably referring to 'live/real time' randomisation rather than the current implementation which only randomises the velocity one time when the sequence is recorded. True randomisation would give you different results each time you play the sequence, just like the random layer play does.
By Danoc Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:07 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I think he's probably referring to 'live/real time' randomisation rather than the current implementation which only randomises the velocity one time when the sequence is recorded. True randomisation would give you different results each time you play the sequence, just like the random layer play does.

Hold up we have velocity humanization? Where at on the MPC live in standalone? Thanks
By 40Beatz Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:18 pm
I believe its on the Track Pencil Page. Select Humanize, then I see it when I scroll down. Ive never used it tho.
By Danoc Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:20 pm
40Beatz wrote:I believe its on the Track Pencil Page. Select Humanize, then I see it when I scroll down. Ive never used it tho.

Ok cool thanks
By nikshona Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:48 pm
When you use humanization you can change you track, but then it will play the same.
Velocity randomazer can changes it every time - and you will hear it's unpredictable variations
By DeaDeus Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:10 pm
nikshona wrote:When you use humanization you can change you track, but then it will play the same.
Velocity randomazer can changes it every time - and you will hear it's unpredictable variations

I need to refer to my old RS7000 again, sorry AKAI:
Extract from the Yamaha RS7K manual of two options to manipulate Velocity.

This is referencing to basic settings while recording MIDI sequences:
VELOCITY.....[Knob 3], [SHIFT]+[F3] → Numeric Keypad
[Settings] 001 ~ 127, RND1 ~ RND4 (random)
Specifies the velocity value with which the note will be
entered.
The set value (1 ~ 127) corresponds to the MIDI velocity
value entered.
When one of the random settings is selected (RND1 ~
RND4) a random velocity value will be entered.
RND1 ~ RND4 can be set by using [SHIFT] + [F3] →
Numeric keypad to enter 128 ~ 131.

RND1 to RND4 are randomizing control settings: #1 slight changes and #4 heavy influence.

The Groove Features are an additional way of manipulating song parts:
Pitch, note timing, gate time, and velocity can be
varied to change the groove of your patterns without
actually changing the original data.
Parameter changes affect playback in real time, so
you can tweak the groove of your patterns while
monitoring the results to achieve precisely the feel
you want.

There is also a so called "Grid Groove" to manipulate Velocity, Note offset (detune), Clock shift, Gate Offset. Sounds not special, but this setting is set to 4 beats of a sequence only (3 for Waltz etc). It will be repeated until the end of the whole sequence.

You might ask: "Why did you try to replace such a great machine?!"
Simple answer: There are only two ways to store data and no way of customization, on a SmartMedia (128 MB of size - no spelling error MegaByte) card and a SCSII-Interface. Both are not used any more in the world of computers.