MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Duke Money Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:39 am
With 2.5 adding splice it just blew my mind, for all that knew about splice it's nothing but I didn't even know what it was and this got my attention. I am not the type to sit and make sounds I want the sounds already
perfect and just throw them in my beat and the sounds give me inspiration so this will be huge for me. Does any one know a place where you can put your beats and artist look for the new stuff almost like a new producers forum are something like that because in hip hop it seems like it's a handful of producers who
get all the work when it's millions of people who make beats but don't have the connections to get seen.
By BeatWilson Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:09 am
maybe cause they all got the same sounds... from spice and the sounds :lol:

i get splice but dont think i will be using it myself since im constantly sampling and have my own library.
if it tickles your dick then dope, but mine dont get hard from it personally... give me automation lanes, multi-timbral midi, vst's, or something real.
By lih Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:58 am
anecdotal, i know...but i use both splice and sounds and i havent found anything identical from one to the other yet

i lean towards sounds tho, because it lets me suft through some of the more popular packs, like patchbanks stuff and only grab the individual pieces i like instead of buying whole packs directly from patchbanks...

splice is ok. i wont continue after my trial but all in all its just template blocks for me. once my compositions are done i rarely keep someone else's loop in it
By Caustic Yoda Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:47 am
People buy beats with original sounds not ones from sample packs or splice that are available to everyone otherwise they would just buy a sample pack and put it together themselves, dont really get this whole spice thing, no point making the same beat as other people
By Eyalc Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:23 am
Caustic Yoda wrote:People buy beats with original sounds not ones from synthesizer, record, soft synth, sample pack, Splice that are available to everyone otherwise they would just buy a synthesizer, record, soft synth, sample pack, Splice and put it together themselves, dont really get this whole synthesizer, record, soft synth, sample pack, Splice thing, no point making the same beat as other people

This argument has existed since forever. Changing a couple words in your statement (as I did above) and the argument still holds true. People have been trying to disprove sound sources for years. No producer / beat maker (even those that sample) has a completely private set of sound sources that no one else has. They all start from the sample place - synths or records, etc. They change the sounds to make it their own. If we buy Omnisphere, we both start with the same sound sources. If we buy a James Brown record, we both start from the same sound source. If we buy a Yamaha Motif, we both start from the same sound source. Now if it's a straight rip, I get it though.

And no, just because someone CAN buy a synth, doesn't mean they will just put it together themselves. That's like saying just because I can buy the same software as my accountant, I'll just buy the software and do my taxes myself, or just because I can buy the same hammer as my house builder, I'll just buy the same hammer and build the house myself.

I respect your opinion and perspective though. And i'm not defending Splice. Never used it, don't plan to.
By SILIS101 Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:19 pm
Be creative. Don't take the easiest path. The easiest path can inspire creativity, but move on and work on your own sounds.
By MPC O.G. Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:41 am
It helps a lot of lazy, non crate diggers more than anything else. I have a small collection of records but the do the job. I can give 20 dudes the same sample packs and get 20 different joints (IF THEY'RE REALLY INTO THIS CULTURE). A part timer will never truly understand. As with anything in life, if you don't put 100% into it, you won't get anything out of it. Just MY OPINION.
By Fanu Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:05 am
Never seen dudes so offended by new intentions before (not referring to this thread only).
Although I bet the same moanings and feelings of being threatened by new tech have happened when synths or electric guitars or drum machines were invented.
Oh and yes, when Live and X were announced, I saw a lot of old cats making fun of new tech.
"Oh it'll slice things for you automatically, lol." Granpas.

If you don't like Splice or ready-made samples, just don't use them and move on.
Some like to cook and make their own food, while some don't cook at all.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:53 am
I personally don't have a problem with Splice, if that's useful for you then go for it (I can hardly complain about selling samples!). My issue is that of all the things they could have used wifi sync for, they have chosen to limit it to one walled-garden service instead of letting you sync with any computer on your network (a computer which would have already contained all your Splice sounds anyway, along with the rest of your sound library). Plus that could have been used to auto-backup your MP Live/X projects , and if it synced with your Dropbox folder, can be used for cloud backup as well.
By lih Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:04 am
definitely agree about the wifi...syncing expansions for example would be waaaaay more practical.

about sample packs...I see the same type of debates in the gaming community...."true hardcore" gamers completely against mobile gaming. for me it stands to reason that anybody that really has that gaming monkey on their back would love having a phone full of games...in addition to their high power set ups...just to be gaming. it's either your lifestyle or it's not.

I feel the same way here. I incline to the heresy of khrysis..."I'll sample the shirt off your back" ,can't really understand the idea of excluding yourself from any source material if you really love sampling. I got mad records...aaand I got mad sample packs...vhs tapes...video games... YouTube...nothing is safe I will sample it all. and my sample pack based material is infinitely less likely to end up on whosnitchin I mean whosampled. there is nothing that can't be made your own if you know what the hell you're doing. especially with hip hop we've been arguing this point since damn near the beginning