MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Straker Tue May 24, 2022 10:43 am
I used to like the Scatter fx on Roland mc707 a lot, before selling the MC.
That was really cool and very editable.
The granular on MPC is not that bad, the Stutter is too much a Stutter and just that.
But eventually the new 2.11 seems to have some new granular stuff.
By Straker Wed May 25, 2022 12:06 pm
So there is some talk about "Ratcheting" on the new 2.11 update.
What is it exactly?
Does it have anything to do with Granularity?
By NearTao Wed May 25, 2022 12:37 pm
From the video... you draw a single note, with a length for how long you want the ratchet, and there is a parameter that adjusts the ratchet speed.
By Straker Wed May 25, 2022 2:03 pm
NearTao wrote:From the video... you draw a single note, with a length for how long you want the ratchet, and there is a parameter that adjusts the ratchet speed.

Yeah sorry I don't have enough connection to watch the video these days.
So that's a sort of note repeat but editable from the grid?
What's the difference with note repeat?
By NearTao Wed May 25, 2022 2:32 pm
Note repeat puts multiple events onto the grid, and you need to change values for each event to modulate it. This lets you put a single event, and modify a single parameter.

Since I don't have the firmware update... I am only guessing... but more to the point is that I suspect that you can use this to change multiple parameters for a single event, such as the new note probability parameter. In the Note Repeat workflow, you could change the probability for each individual note, but this could be a hassle, and then having random notes trigger out of context of each other may not make sense. I believe with the new probability parameter, you could set it to whether the entire ratchet note event plays or not. Less parameters to change, and more direct control over the entire burst.

Obviously either approach is valid, but like a lot of other things on the MPC, depends on how you want to get there, and how much you are concerned with the smaller details.