MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Wed May 08, 2019 11:39 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Done that already!My ears are training since the days of my studies at SAE Institute and i’ve exchanging ideas with fellow sound designers and audio engineers all my life so i’m not trying to prove anything here..If your mix is crappie then nothing can save it..No magic button..As for levels you’’ll Definitely need an external analyzer like TC’s above ^ or a DAW that you can load your own analyzers until AKAI gives us some proper ones..In my videos i’ll be showing which ones i use inside Ableton Live..Basically i use Ableton Live only for that :wink:

The ear training was in reference to others, not you. Also if you trying to sell a product to someone, you are trying to prove that it works. Any serious audio professional will ask these questions and more. It's not a personal attack, this is how sales works. Marketing 101: Convince me that I need your product.

I want your template to succeed. I love to see people succeed. If I didn't I would not waste my time. That's why I recommend the TC Electronic Clarity in here. It's would be good companion for your in the box template.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Thu May 09, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bymember04959388 Wed May 08, 2019 11:54 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Its becoming complicated :)
I stay with Studio One for mastering.

:lol: Not really complicated.

1. 1/4 to Stereo RCA cable (Which any gear head should have.)
2. Converter box (Cheap to buy)
3. TC Electronic CLARITY M STEREO.

Danoc wrote:CharlesRandolph how much does that TC thingy cost?

It's $279.99 for Stereo and 349.99 for Stereo and 5.1.

Yes but why should I make a mastering on an Mpc plus a box plus a tc device when I can obtain better results with a computer?
Mastering is the real last step and it is a different work from composing and mixing.
Its a scientifical cleaning of frequencies, stereo image, and a levelling of peaks, a delicate balance and in my opinion I get better results with a software and dedicated plugins.
I keep on thinkkng I like to separate the two things.
By CharlesRandolph Thu May 09, 2019 12:00 am
Frisbi wrote:Yes but why should I make a mastering on an Mpc plus a box plus a tc device when I can obtain better results with a computer?
Mastering is the real last step and it is a different work from composing and mixing.
Its a scientifical cleaning of frequencies, stereo image, and a levelling of peaks, a delicate balance and in my opinion I get better results with a software and dedicated plugins.
I keep on thinkkng I like to separate the two things.

Understood, we use them for mixing and mastering. It's a versatile tool to have for monitoring audio. It's small and does not take desktop screen space. These are like the FaderPort, X Touch One, or Frontier Transport. Small tools that are worth more than the small price.
By Danoc Thu May 09, 2019 12:33 am
CharlesRandolph thats it? It looks like it runs about $999. Cool piece
By CharlesRandolph Thu May 09, 2019 1:00 am
Danoc wrote:CharlesRandolph thats it? It looks like it runs about $999. Cool piece

Yeah. They are in stock now, but they are a good seller. $305.69 with tax. The 5.1 keep running out of stock at some places. People are buying them up.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TCE-CLARITYMST
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ClarityMST--tc-electronic-clarity-m-stereo-loudness-meter
https://www.zzounds.com/item--TCECLARITYMST
By CharlesRandolph Thu May 09, 2019 1:55 am
Cockdiesel wrote:that thing is kind of slick. I'm still not clicking on Charles' affiliate links...

Lol. I don't do that affiliate links, post scam. I don't work for them, not sponsored by or get anything from them. However, if you need one, get one. Seems like a good match for YA Mastering Setup on the MPC.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Thu May 09, 2019 9:32 am
Yep you're right i have to convince that my template works..Audio/Video demos are coming up :wink:
Thanks for your suggestions man!
CharlesRandolph wrote:The ear training was in reference to others, not you. Also if you trying to sell a product to someone, you are trying to prove that it works. Any serious audio professional will ask these questions and more. It's not a personal attack, this is how sales works. Marketing 101: Convince me that I need your product.

I want your template to succeed. I love to see people succeed. If I didn't I would not waste my time. That's why I recommend the TC Electronic Clarity in here. It's would be good companion for your in the box template.
By hansjbs Thu May 09, 2019 11:43 am
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:AJ (Tubedigga) took the template for a spin :-P!

“This is a serious piece of work right here. I've tested it out and it sounds great - but it needs refinement, and is not something that can be applied to existing projects because it's been built inside a project already which is limiting (no pun intended). But don't underestimate what it can do - I've run some pre-made tracks through this tonight and it breathes a lot of life, energy and power to whatever you throw at it. Yorgos knows his stuff for sure! Building a track from scratch inside the template is my next challenge - because the returns are being used by the multi-band compressor and I use the returns all the time for delays and reverbs. So for now it's great for importing existing mixdowns into an audio track and used purely as a mastering environment.”

That's a bummer. So if you already have tracks available this won't work. Unless you export into Stems and import as audio files. So i would have to use your template to start any new tracks from now on. I'll wait for the videos to see what it's about and how it will benefit me.
Bymember04959388 Thu May 09, 2019 12:21 pm
hansjbs wrote:
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:AJ (Tubedigga) took the template for a spin :-P!

“This is a serious piece of work right here. I've tested it out and it sounds great - but it needs refinement, and is not something that can be applied to existing projects because it's been built inside a project already which is limiting (no pun intended). But don't underestimate what it can do - I've run some pre-made tracks through this tonight and it breathes a lot of life, energy and power to whatever you throw at it. Yorgos knows his stuff for sure! Building a track from scratch inside the template is my next challenge - because the returns are being used by the multi-band compressor and I use the returns all the time for delays and reverbs. So for now it's great for importing existing mixdowns into an audio track and used purely as a mastering environment.”

That's a bummer. So if you already have tracks available this won't work. Unless you export into Stems and import as audio files. So i would have to use your template to start any new tracks from now on. I'll wait for the videos to see what it's about and how it will benefit me.

Then you cannot use sends anymore.
I think you have to export stereo mix and import it inside the mastering project once the mix is finished
By Danoc Thu May 09, 2019 4:15 pm
I'm loving mixing with the mastering and mixing in the computer. so much power and precision. I'm able to see on my huge 27 inch edge to edge Monitor and to use my supa dupa Senn 600 HD Headphones. I can see and hear whats going on. In studio one I have everything I need. The way they they have it set up its beautiful and I couldn't get this in Protools. It's just not possible in PT like this. I love there is a section exclusively for mastering. I don't use a template for this because I approach every track different but I keep the same core chain. Plus it looks amazing!
On the MPC Live/X i can definitely say you can get a really decent mix, but mastering I can't really say. I would mix on the MPC Live just to let someone hear and get an idea of the song, so good of a mix where they will enjoy it.
I wouldn't push to master.

By Yorgos Arabatzis Thu May 09, 2019 9:08 pm
What about in a Live situation?
Imagine your sound already fat and sweet!
No need to worry about PA guys anymore..
This is another reason i’ve made this template.. :wink:
Danoc wrote:I'm loving mixing with the mastering and mixing in the computer. so much power and precision. I'm able to see on my huge 27 inch edge to edge Monitor and to use my supa dupa Senn 600 HD Headphones. I can see and hear whats going on. In studio one I have everything I need. The way they they have it set up its beautiful and I couldn't get this in Protools. It's just not possible in PT like this. I love there is a section exclusively for mastering. I don't use a template for this because I approach every track different but I keep the same core chain. Plus it looks amazing!
On the MPC Live/X i can definitely say you can get a really decent mix, but mastering I can't really say. I would mix on the MPC Live just to let someone hear and get an idea of the song, so good of a mix where they will enjoy it.

Bymember04959388 Thu May 09, 2019 9:11 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:What about in a Live situation?
Imagine your sound already fat and sweet!
No need to worry about PA guys anymore..
This is another reason i’ve made this template.. :wink:
Danoc wrote:I'm loving mixing with the mastering and mixing in the computer. so much power and precision. I'm able to see on my huge 27 inch edge to edge Monitor and to use my supa dupa Senn 600 HD Headphones. I can see and hear whats going on. In studio one I have everything I need. The way they they have it set up its beautiful and I couldn't get this in Protools. It's just not possible in PT like this. I love there is a section exclusively for mastering. I don't use a template for this because I approach every track different but I keep the same core chain. Plus it looks amazing!

In a live situation, if I use your template, I have to sacrifice my sends, isn't it?
Sends are very important for me, I cannot imagine to use an Mpc without sends.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Thu May 09, 2019 9:30 pm
Really man i feel you and i wish AKAI can give us a simple Multi-band so we won’t have to make custom ones..If i had to choose i’d go with the Multi-band but everyone’s needs are different i guess..Alternative for the sends are the inserts but for Multi-band none..That’s the strong point..
Frisbi wrote:In a live situation, if I use your template, I have to sacrifice my sends, isn't it?
Bymember04959388 Thu May 09, 2019 10:03 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Really man i feel you and i wish AKAI can give us a simple Multi-band so we won’t have to make custom ones..If i had to choose i’d go with the Multi-band but everyone’s needs are different i guess..Alternative for the sends are the inserts but for Multi-band none..That’s the strong point..
Frisbi wrote:In a live situation, if I use your template, I have to sacrifice my sends, isn't it?

Yeah I was also asking for a Multiband some time ago, then Air bundle came and I liked it a lot so I said ok, I am fine.
But still I would like to put a MB on master.
I don't want to go against your idea, it's good you showed Mpc is capable of many different tasks.
But I cannot sacrifice my sends :)
Maybe you could think of a multistage compression instead of MB, its becoming quite popular between mastering people, and it can be done just on the master output