MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By NearTao Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:16 am
When you load older projects it will "update" them to the new firmware. It is pretty straightforward to add YAM from there.

Personally, I always save it as a new project so I can go back if necessary.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:53 pm
Hey Guys,
Check your emails Version 2.0.2 has been released and it's now easier than ever to load up my template!
The new AIR Limiter really brings things to where it should be and settings have been optimised accordingly..
Best of all been testing a track i've made exclusively in standalone mode on my MPC by sending it to a good friend of mine you happens to be one of Hernan's Cattaneo Mastering engineers and his exact words were: "Wish all clients would bring me tracks like yours..It took me under 10 minutes to Master it..Couldn't believe it you've mixed it solely on your MPC.."

Enjoy it and take care people :-D
YA
By TT_Lab Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:03 pm
Hey Yorgos, the page is missing the link to download. I managed to download copying the codes from previous downlads in the url. But it was by chance. The other times the link was on the email and on the anouncement page. BTW thank you for the update . Enjoy your updated parenthood!
By Yorgos Arabatzis Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:11 am
TT_Lab wrote:Hey Yorgos, the page is missing the link to download. I managed to download copying the codes from previous downlads in the url. But it was by chance. The other times the link was on the email and on the anouncement page. BTW thank you for the update . Enjoy your updated parenthood!

Thanks for pointing it out!
Just sent a new email with the new update attached..
And indeed i'm really enjoying parenthood :-D
Best
YA
By 64hz Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:16 pm
Thanks for providing this update, buying this first thing tomorrow. :-D
By NearTao Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:33 pm
Here's a track with and without using the YA Mastering Template 2.0.2. Anything that sounds bad here is frankly on me for not taking a bit more time to adjust and get the sonics under control.

This is the original track, I mixed drums and bass to -9db and everything else from there, no end of chain effects or anything... it is pretty dry.

The same track, I tried the same mixing as above, as well as to -15db (in case it was toasty due to level issues, spoiler it was not), and the mastering chain happened to be accentuating some high end noise... so to get it under control I did some quick filtering as well on each track (LPF around 2k to 8k per track)

Thoughts...
For this particular track and how noisy the samples were (all samples run through an SP 303 and picked up some distortion/dirt) that I used, I actually expected the mastering chain to require more work than I usually need to put in, and if you listen to the drums they are still a bit toasty. This is for me to fix, not the mastering chain to manage. I am impressed at how well the mastering chain pulls some of the more subtle sounds out, bringing them to the foreground, and it does continue to do a great job in my mind for rounding out the sound.

Applying the 2.0.2 mastering is just as easy (or difficult depending on your viewpoint) as it was in the past, and I'll probably do some A/B comparisons between the 2.0.1 (which I have to say is A+ already) and 2.0.2 to see if I prefer one over the other. The only difference I really noticed so far was that the limiter seems to be holding the track from mastering to 0db, and instead is targeting -3db. Whether you like this or not is probably up to you... but I guess the only thing I'd note is that as a user you can obviously adjust this in the master fx chain to your personal taste... and it means that the YAM track is not quite as loud as it could possibly be.

Anybody who's interested in putting in the time (even if it is just 15-30 minutes) to improve their mix and take another step towards finishing their sound should definitely check this out.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:01 pm
NearTao wrote:Here's a track with and without using the YA Mastering Template 2.0.2. Anything that sounds bad here is frankly on me for not taking a bit more time to adjust and get the sonics under control.

This is the original track, I mixed drums and bass to -9db and everything else from there, no end of chain effects or anything... it is pretty dry.

The same track, I tried the same mixing as above, as well as to -15db (in case it was toasty due to level issues, spoiler it was not), and the mastering chain happened to be accentuating some high end noise... so to get it under control I did some quick filtering as well on each track (LPF around 2k to 8k per track)

Thoughts...
For this particular track and how noisy the samples were (all samples run through an SP 303 and picked up some distortion/dirt) that I used, I actually expected the mastering chain to require more work than I usually need to put in, and if you listen to the drums they are still a bit toasty. This is for me to fix, not the mastering chain to manage. I am impressed at how well the mastering chain pulls some of the more subtle sounds out, bringing them to the foreground, and it does continue to do a great job in my mind for rounding out the sound.

Applying the 2.0.2 mastering is just as easy (or difficult depending on your viewpoint) as it was in the past, and I'll probably do some A/B comparisons between the 2.0.1 (which I have to say is A+ already) and 2.0.2 to see if I prefer one over the other. The only difference I really noticed so far was that the limiter seems to be holding the track from mastering to 0db, and instead is targeting -3db. Whether you like this or not is probably up to you... but I guess the only thing I'd note is that as a user you can obviously adjust this in the master fx chain to your personal taste... and it means that the YAM track is not quite as loud as it could possibly be.

Anybody who's interested in putting in the time (even if it is just 15-30 minutes) to improve their mix and take another step towards finishing their sound should definitely check this out.

Wow track sounds night and day through the chain :-D Needs a bit more tweaking though.. :wink:
As for the Limiter i left some headroom on purpose by turning down ceiling to -1dB..If you want it 0dB just crank ceiling up to 0dB easy peasy..I explain the reason in the tips & tricks section inside the instruction manual where i point that if someone wants to use a more advanced external Limiter like Fabfilter Pro-L 2 for example that does True Peak limiting this is the right settings for the mastering template..
Thanks for your review and nice track btw :wink:
By NearTao Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:53 pm
Alright... I took a second pass at the track and cleaning up some of the defects that Yorgos' mastering chain exposed... maybe 10-20 minutes of listening to tracks, solo'ing sections to see what was going on... so total time on this track so far is max 2 hours.

What changed from the last post?
* I changed the limiter from -1db to 0db to see if it could get a tiny bit louder, it can.
* I went into the individual drum hits to see if I could find what was making a clicking sound... and nothing itself was clicking, but it definitely sounds like a click to me... I ended up putting a high pass filter on the hat roll and then a little bit of resonance just so it's creating a slightly different frequency which seems to clear that up a bit
* The kick drum needed a bit more taming, so I added a LPF in the program just on that chop to tighten it up a bit more without using the global filter I had on the entire drum kit.
* The "Vox" sound at the end was a touch too high, so dropped a LPF filter here to put it more in line with what I wanted it to sound like.
* I wanted a pretty hard bass line, but I ended up dropping it about -1 to -1.5db lower than the drum track. It still tears through the mix, but opening up this space helps the other instruments get a bit more room.

Is the mixing/mastering perfect? Nah... but I just wanted to help show what you can do with even a little bit of time and taking a critical ear to what you're working on.
By 64hz Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:34 am
Hi, sorry for reaching out to you here but I can't pay lol and don't see any contact form on the site. Could be these old eyes tho. I'm trying to pay with PayPal but my payment is rejected every time I try. I just bought something else with PayPal so that's not the problem. Is this something you know about?
By Yorgos Arabatzis Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:20 am
64hz wrote:Hi, sorry for reaching out to you here but I can't pay lol and don't see any contact form on the site. Could be these old eyes tho. I'm trying to pay with PayPal but my payment is rejected every time I try. I just bought something else with PayPal so that's not the problem. Is this something you know about?

Sent you a PM..
By 64hz Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:29 pm
Yea thaks for the answer, very very helpful.
By Rumenta Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:35 am
I purchase this template… i’impresses… great work and very helpfull.
Now i can focus on production

Big up from Italy
By 64hz Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:19 pm
Bought it a few weeks ago and after using it made all my music stand out more. There is clarity, defined levels and a sound that just pounds. I'm really impressed and couldn't have gotten these results easily by myself. I dare to say this should be a standard upgrade for any MPC user. Well worth the 20 euros I spend on it.

:worthy:
By Yorgos Arabatzis Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:59 pm
64hz wrote:Bought it a few weeks ago and after using it made all my music stand out more. There is clarity, defined levels and a sound that just pounds. I'm really impressed and couldn't have gotten these results easily by myself. I dare to say this should be a standard upgrade for any MPC user. Well worth the 20 euros I spend on it.

:worthy:

Glad all worked out great in the end with the PayPal issue Michael!
Really appreciate your review..It'd be wonderful if i can i post it on my website..Are you ok with that?