MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:53 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:There was a constant search for years to find the ideal settings for this template and that’s what i’m selling..That’s the key sale point for me!It’s a method i’ve developed and that’s where my videos will aim for but as you said it’a a continued education process..So the journey starts here i guess..My mistake was that i had to have some demo videos ready to compliment the release..Well i’m still learning i guess and i’d like to apologize for that..And as you’ve mentioned i’d go straight to the point without the unnecessary bulls*^#^t

I 100% get it and I'm sure the information you have, does have a value. But is it sellable? Does it fill a hole someone is looking for? Would it be better to sell your services?
By Yorgos Arabatzis Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:57 pm
Basically why not doing both? ;-)
I’ve got a similar example and i’m considering that option too..My buddy wanted to build a Hackintosh on his own and after searching on YouTube he found an expert where she was selling videos and services through Patreon. With a monthly subscription he had access to all her “how to” videos and with an extra fee she could login to his computer for remote control.But she has a limited number of personalized services each month and you have to book your place..That’s what i’m thinking to work on..Provide all the tools and videos but if someone wants some personal mixing/mastering treatment i could do it with some extra fee..
CharlesRandolph wrote:I 100% get it and I'm sure the information you have, does have a value. But is it sellable? Does it fill a hole someone is looking for? Would it be better to sell your services?
By Unreallystic Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:07 pm
Damn, so much Youtube truth being spilled on the floor.

Information has been devalued. But really, EVERYTHING has been devalued (even music). It's messed up the psychology of music for myself previously, and driven my focuses for future content.

As someone who's been self taught, paid for lessons, used Youtube, paid for books, etc - paid is so much better. People never really understand the difference because they never want to truly "invest" in themselves, and think that spending the coin on even more gear will make them next in line. I get so sick and tired of people who say they learned how to do stuff for free on Youtube, because its only part of the story. Youtube is full of so much DILUTED quality material, that you watch a ten minute video to walk away with one minute of content. Not only that, its most likely not a "series" so everythign is dis-jointed, and inefficient. I wish music school was a possibility, I would have paid for that instead of wasting so much time trying to "put it all together" myself.

But people will gladly drop $20 to go see a movie or $10 to eat at McDonald's, then complain about $15 for REAL efficient knowledge.

to everyone in here trying to make some bread - I salute you, keep doing it, and hit me up with links to whatever you got.

And OP - for making a video, don't think of it as a tutorial, its an advertisement. I remember when you posted about your tool in all the MPC FB groups, it didn't get a ton of traction because of format. Sell us on the tool.

Example A: I used the default stuff in the MPC Standalone and it sounds like this, took me this long
Example B: I used my sh!t and got their 9 times quicker and don't those kick sound more polished? Those hits make you want to tap your fingers don't they? All that time you spend working on mastering is time WASTED, you could be focused on creativity instead.

Do the math on time & eventually money saved.

then flip to a tutorial.
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:57 pm
People should stop buying into doing everything themselves. Not everyone can create, mix, master, and release product. The reason most people don't succeed, is because they are unfocused. The reason the music industry is so fragmented, is because people are trying to do every job.

Some people are better at mastering than they are at mixing. It's good know about all the aspects but it's also good know when to let a more talented person take over. This is why I feel some people are not music producers, because the greatest strength of music producer is delegating jobs to the best talent. Most music producer don't sit behind an the MPC. That's the job of the Musician.

Perhaps the OP, is better at mastering than he is at composing music. That's why he's made this Mastering Template. Most people need mastering and the truth is most people are not good at it. So if a person has a passion and talent for it. Perhaps it's best to hone in on that skill. Just some food for thought.
By Ill-Green Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:38 pm
Well I do it all myself. I am my own label now.

My story is that I just wanted to make music I needed to listen to. Never cared who listened or who's advice to follow. The sound I was pumping was what I always wanted to hear but nobody was doing it. I did it for me.

I only know me and the sounds I like. If I did this for the people, I certainly will be lost in buying gear and learning lessons wasting tons of money because every human is different and to cater every taste you will lose yourself and your focus and end up like Kanye who now has no inspiration of self and needs to copy producers like me because he has lost his path and focus and forgot where to begin. Looking for favoritism from the people is every producer's downfall.

Just be yourself and create whats inside you. People follow a leader and if you keep doing you, they will follow. :nod:
By Lampdog Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:03 pm
Ill-Green wrote:My story is that I just wanted to make music I needed to listen to. Never cared who listened or who's advice to follow. The sound I was pumping was what I always wanted to hear but nobody was doing it. I did it for me.

I only know me and the sounds I like.

THIS has been me FOREVER. I mean this post fits me like a freshly tailor-made Polar White T-Shirt.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:58 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Well I do it all myself. I am my own label now.

If this is your chosen path. Then there is nothing wrong with that. But no one does it alone. You sample records that others have made. You use gear that others created. You post your music on websites that other's created. But like I stated, a producer job is to delegate and fill position to create the sound they want to hear.

Ill-Green wrote:My story is that I just wanted to make music I needed to listen to. Never cared who listened or who's advice to follow. The sound I was pumping was what I always wanted to hear but nobody was doing it. I did it for me. I only know me and the sounds I like.

We tell ourselves this, but no one makes original music, you've just haven't listen to enough musc. Our sound is not our sound.

Ill-Green wrote:If I did this for the people, I certainly will be lost in buying gear and learning lessons wasting tons of money because every human is different and to cater every taste you will lose yourself and your focus and end up like Kanye who now has no inspiration of self and needs to copy producers like me because he has lost his path and focus and forgot where to begin.

Have you had a session with Kanye or sat down with him? If not, you are transferring your personal opinions upon him. Also humans learn everything we do from copying. Be it language or be it what and how to eat. We're always standing on the shoulders of others. If your a sample artist, you're directly copying, and pull your influence from others.

Ill-Green wrote:Looking for favoritism from the people is every producer's downfall.

I believe we all look for feedback, some more that others. However if you didn't, why create Record Label and distribute your music to a listening audience? Because the moment you decided to package your music, it become a product for others to consume and interpret in their way. People will take your ideas and build on top of it.

Thank you for your personal insight and I look forward to reading more.
By Ill-Green Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:43 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:If this is your chosen path. Then there is nothing wrong with that. But no one does it alone. You sample records that others have made. You use gear that others created. You post your music on websites that other's created. But like I stated, a producer job is to delegate and fill position to create the sound they want to hear.

Nothing wrong posting on platforms designed for independent artists. Thats what they are made for, take advantage.

We tell ourselves this, but no one makes original music, you've just haven't listen to enough musc. Our sound is not our sound.

If thats your case, you need a new hobby. Originality doesn't have to be done by a genius, like I said be yourself and let that come out.

Have you had a session with Kanye or sat down with him? If not, you are transferring your personal opinions upon him. Also humans learn everything we do from copying. Be it language or be it what and how to eat. We're always standing on the shoulders of others. If your a sample artist, you're directly copying, and pull your influence from others

I think you been under a rock these last couple years but Kanye's work on Nasir was mostly bitten work of independent producers. Its obvious he is in a stalemate. And last I checked this is a forum of spoken opinions. I wouldn't call it copying either what humans do, its more like derivative inspiration. For instance, my Apocalypse Now track was an inspiration of Pete Rock's TROY. They don't sound alike, they contain different samples but the feeling he gave me with that track, I just let it out...in my own way. The way Hip Hop supposed to be produced.

I believe we all look for feedback, some more that others. However if you didn't, why create Record Label and distribute your music to a listening audience? Because the moment you decided to package your music, it become a product for others to consume and interpret in their way. People will take your ideas and build on top of it.

Thank you for your personal insight and I look forward to reading more.

Again, if you really read my post, I said I do this for me and nobody else. There is no trying to be the next-man here, if thats your pursuit in life then you have a long winded journey to accomplish because after the present-man is gone someone new will take it another direction. Then you will be after what he does, trying to logically figure out what he does.

Meanwhile, I will still be banging beats and writing lyrics to my heart's content and I'm happy all day whether 20 listen or 20,000. :lol:
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:51 am
I get it you do all yourself, but you run a label right? :hmmm:

So when your making beats, who is writing?
When your writing, who is recording?
When recording who is mixing?
When Mixing who is Mastering?
When Mastering who is doing the Art work?
When doing the Artwork who is doing the promoting?
When promoting who is doing the marketing?
When marketing who is booking the shows?
When booking the show who is rehearsing?
When performing who is taking video/photos?
When taking video and photos who is editing them?
When editing, whose making the beats?

The question is why are do everything yourself? Why not assemble a team that will allow for your vision to grow? Find like minded people to help your music flourish. Running a label, is more that making beats, writing rhymes, recording, mixing, mastering, and posting it on sound cloud.

As far as Kanye that is your opinion, but you have to talk to the man. The truth is the man has archives worth of material. Also you don't release new music, when you trying to get out of a contract and get your catalog rights back. :smoker:

Ill-Green wrote:I think you been under a rock these last couple years but Kanye's work on Nasir was mostly bitten work of independent producers. Its obvious he is in a stalemate. And last I checked this is a forum of spoken opinions. I wouldn't call it copying either what humans do, its more like derivative inspiration.

Funny you bring up Nasty Nas because when he came out, he was a Kool G Rap copy and labels passed on him because of that. :lol: :lol:

Ill-Green wrote:Again, if you really read my post, I said I do this for me and nobody else. There is no trying to be the next-man here, if thats your pursuit in life then you have a long winded journey to accomplish because after the present-man is gone someone new will take it another direction. Then you will be after what he does, trying to logically figure out what he does.

Meanwhile, I will still be banging beats and writing lyrics to my heart's content and I'm happy all day whether 20 listen or 20,000. :lol:

Perhaps you did not read mine?
If this is your chosen path. Then there is nothing wrong with that.

But to bring it back on topic: This mastering template may be something to partner with Akai Pro. They have a multiband compressor on the DPS 16/24 as well as A VST Plug in version. I wonder why they did not incorporate it.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:16 am
Crossing my fingers on that so that we’re able to use all the available sends/returns.
Also chain presets and slot rearrange with drag n drop is a must IMHO..

CharlesRandolph wrote:But to bring it back on topic: This mastering template may be something to partner with Akai Pro. They have a multiband compressor on the DPS 16/24 as well as A VST Plug in version. I wonder why they did not incorporate it.
By Certified Beatz Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:12 pm
to be honest I have no clue what your doing no video using it so why would I buy it also why make the MPC a mastering suite
By Yorgos Arabatzis Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:04 pm
Videos are on the way and i apologized for not having them ready on launch..Was too excited to spread it to the world but marketing works differently..Lesson learnt..Video shooting and editing is a time consuming process which i’m now learning..Also learning things like illustrator for creating/editing PDF’s from my good friend Vaggelis (pros to him for helping me!) takes time..Also if you read this thread carefully we had a very constructive talk with the guys about what this template is and the final conclusion was that it’s very close in being a mastering station if things like audio analysis tools,M/S options, a proper multiband compressor and dithering/true peak options for the AIR Maximizer are implemented from AKAI..And to your question why?Because it can and i love that!Otherwise i won’t even spoke about it..
Certified Beatz wrote:to be honest I have no clue what your doing no video using it so why would I buy it also why make the MPC a mastering suite
Last edited by Yorgos Arabatzis on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Fanu Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:46 pm
Unreallystic wrote:people will gladly drop $20 to go see a movie or $10 to eat at McDonald's, then complain about $15 for REAL efficient knowledge.

Yup…seen this a lot. Ppl will gladly pay for a pack of cigs and some pints but won't pay for a video that contains valuable knowledge…let alone 5 bucks for a digital music album.