MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
Bymember04959388 Tue May 07, 2019 3:43 pm
Interesting.
How could you make a multiband compressor? Its not on standalone Mpc effects.
Bymember04959388 Tue May 07, 2019 4:21 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Hi Frisbi,
It's a custom made using the included plugins ;-)
Frisbi wrote:Interesting.
How could you make a multiband compressor? Its not on standalone Mpc effects.

Ah that's curious.
I am not going to make a mastering with Mpc but I wonder how is it possible to have a multiband on standalone.
Of course its a manufacturer secret, isn't it?
By CharlesRandolph Wed May 08, 2019 12:04 am
Frisbi wrote:Ah that's curious. I am not going to make a mastering with Mpc but I wonder how is it possible to have a multiband on standalone.Of course its a manufacturer secret, isn't it?

He would make more money, by making a video, putting it on his site, and placing a PayPal Donation button. :nod:
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Wed May 08, 2019 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Wed May 08, 2019 1:56 am
Trust me i did it and it sounds huge!I even ditched Ableton Live and i write and master all my tracks inside the MPC Live..Don’t be afraid Just do it..
In fact my bands upcoming album has MPC Live written all over it.I’m a professional DJ and i test my tracks in various venues but also cars,smartphones crappie speakers,Hi End speakers you name it!I compare it to fancy mastered tracks and puts them to shame..Heads will roll as soon as i updating my site with new evidence..
Yep it’s my secret sauce :-D
Frisbi wrote:Ah that's curious.
I am not going to make a mastering with Mpc but I wonder how is it possible to have a multiband on standalone.

I’ve spent to much time and effort on this one and the price is nowhere near it..My upcoming mixing/mastering tutorials though would be donationware as you’ve described ;-)
CharlesRandolph wrote:He would make more money, by making a video, putting it on his site, and placing a PayPal Donation button. :lol:
By CharlesRandolph Wed May 08, 2019 2:22 am
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Trust me i did it and it sounds huge!I even ditched Ableton Live and i write and master all my tracks inside the MPC Live..
Yep it’s my secret sauce :-D
Frisbi wrote:Ah that's curious.

I’ve spent to much time and effort on this one and the price is nowhere near it..My upcoming mixing/mastering tutorials though would be donationware as you’ve described ;-)
CharlesRandolph wrote:He would make more money, by making a video, putting it on his site, and placing a PayPal Donation button. :lol:

All people need to do is build a chain and tweak the PEQ 4 band or AIR Channel Strip, AIR Compressor, and
AIR Maximizer. I used to master using the DPS 24's: Multi band Compressor and EQ.
By Fanu Wed May 08, 2019 5:39 am
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:I compare it to fancy mastered tracks and puts them to shame..

Let's hear some proof.
Also, one thing Live/X cannot do well is master limiting to commercial. There is no decent tool for that. Air Maximizer? Mushes it badly.
By Caustic Yoda Wed May 08, 2019 6:57 am
There are some basic plug in tool in the box now but not any serious gear for mastering, you can hack something together ok for live but its definately not proper signal chain and just lacking proper options for mid-side, dither, what you are selling is a bit of a joke sorry, anyone can make a plug in chain preset but theres no way its gonna work on everyones music, its a bit more complicated than that
By CharlesRandolph Wed May 08, 2019 8:57 am
Caustic Yoda wrote:There are some basic plug in tool in the box now but not any serious gear for mastering, you can hack something together ok for live but its definately not proper signal chain and just lacking proper options for mid-side, dither, what you are selling is a bit of a joke sorry, anyone can make a plug in chain preset but theres no way its gonna work on everyones music, its a bit more complicated than that

Yes, there's no one template to master all Music. This also goes for different formats: Blu Ray, DVD AUDIO, CD, VINYL, Tape, Digital. Then we really get busy, because Spotify, Apple music, Pandora, and Google Music all use different compression. Then we must consider Radio Stations, Television and Movie Formats: Dolby, THX, DTS.

Then we have to consider what they will be listening to it on/in: Stadium, Sports Arena, Theater, Car, Home, TV, Laptop, Smartphone, Headphones, Ear buds, Bone Conductive head sets. :lol: These are just some of the things that Mastering Engineers must think about and reference now.

However, if the person is just making beats and posting them on soundcloud. Then mastering on MPC is good enough. As long as it sounds like they want it to.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Wed May 08, 2019 12:51 pm
Ye i know that anyone can load plugins and start messing with them..but...do they know what they’re doing?
The settings that have been tweaked to death are the key ingredients on this..And basically the way i approach it is something i’ve never seen by anyone or any tutorial i’ve come across..For me it’s something fresh and every fresh idea creates disbelief..My upcoming videos and tutorials will prove my method..
This idea came across to me from the need to control Dave smith’s Tempest passing through the MPC Live..Tempest it’s one heck of a wild instrument and when you crank up that resonance or Feedback it can blow up any speaker on earth..I wanted to have total control over it but at the same time not to squash it and leave it to breathe..After i found the sweet spot settings on this any track i’ve built on the MPC based on that gives me amazing instant results as the track progresses..It’s really something to hear your tweaking in real-time and make instant decisions to improve it..
For me mixing is and will always be the most important aspect of a great master..As the great mastering engineer Bob Katz said “it’s all in the mixing..” I’m mentioning this inside the important notes PDF..
In the end what matters the most is the listener..If the listener is feeling pleased then you’ve served your purpose..
CharlesRandolph wrote:All people need to do is build a chain and tweak the PEQ 4 band or AIR Channel Strip, AIR Compressor, and
AIR Maximizer. I used to master using the DPS 24's: Multi band Compressor and EQ.
By hansjbs Wed May 08, 2019 1:36 pm
I'm just here to say a big thanks for doing this and also if you want to prove what you've said then in your tutorials show how it can be used for different genres. Pick some of the main ones (Pop, hip hop, trap, rock etc...) to showcase and maybe say some minor tweaks required for best results. I do agree that that one mstering chain won't translate well with every genre.
Bymember04959388 Wed May 08, 2019 1:50 pm
Still curious about multiband.
Maybe a combination of killeq and compressor on different sends?
Anyway thanks for the idea, I still keep mastering separated from music creation and use computer just for mastering.
But it could be handy for someone who wants to get rid of computer completely.
By CharlesRandolph Wed May 08, 2019 3:24 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Ye i know that anyone can load plugins and start messing with them..but...do they know what they’re doing?
The settings that have been tweaked to death are the key ingredients on this..And basically the way i approach it is something i’ve never seen by anyone or any tutorial i’ve come across..For me it’s something fresh and every fresh idea creates disbelief..My upcoming videos and tutorials will prove my method..
This idea came across to me from the need to control Dave smith’s Tempest passing through the MPC Live..

Tempest it’s one heck of a wild instrument and when you crank up that resonance or Feedback it can blow up any speaker on earth..I wanted to have total control over it but at the same time not to squash it and leave it to breathe..After i found the sweet spot settings on this any track i’ve built on the MPC based on that gives me amazing instant results as the track progresses..It’s really something to hear your tweaking in real-time and make instant decisions to improve it..

For me mixing is and will always be the most important aspect of a great master..As the great mastering engineer Bob Katz said “it’s all in the mixing..” I’m mentioning this inside the important notes PDF..
In the end what matters the most is the listener..If the listener is feeling pleased then you’ve served your purpose..

Your idea is not the problem, it's your approach. Ear Training and Time are the only templates a person needs. You'll do more and gain more interest by exchanging ideas, instead of trying to sell an instant mastering button.