MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Bezo Tue May 21, 2019 3:59 pm
BeatWilson wrote:Endroducing on the MPC was done so right...

Thes One on the 3000
Exile still on his 2000xl i believe.
One Be Lo on the LIVE
DJ Brace still on his 5000

These people are killing it, but everyone got "problems" from these machines.
I am definitely from a work around perspective so if it doesn't have something ill find a way.

Those work station look a bit aggressive for me. I DJ.... if i seen one of those next to my tables it would just be like wtf? haha Look crazy though as far as features.
I'm sure I speak for most; wanting a better machine is not stopping folks from making music with what they have.

Work arounds take time & effort that could otherwise go towards creating. Who doesn't want the perfect machine & smoothest workflow? Personally, I want my tools out of the way.
By Danoc Tue May 21, 2019 4:02 pm
The thing is you already have 2 standalones, X And Live. Akai can spend less money improvung and updating. Like the new Air effects and background design, it looks dope and they sound pro. We need to get to 3.0 and glitch free. Akai can add things on without wasting time on a new design, time and resoures.

How do you go from machines that still have problems to a new machine? The new machine most definitely have have big problems.

Unreallystic, hypothetical, if Akai majes a new machime it will most likely sit between the X and Live price wise. Are you wiling to buy a new MPC? Say, $1,799?

If it gets BEAST MODE treatment like Charlesrandolph said do you think it will be cheap?

Look how Akai jump to make the Fire and Force. They are looking at other avenues. At this time the market to selling a new machine looks bleek. What happens uf they don't sell enough units which is another problem.

Guess what then dydes will be talking about another new machine after that one :lol:
Glitches will be in affect mos def! I wouldn't chance it being my MPC live works.

Akau has a better chance improving these machines and improving their software to be a bonified DAW. Keeping the option of controller mode open.

Unreallystic wrote:...Akai will release another stand alone piece of hardware in the future..it will be better. Each iteration has been an improvement over the last in some major way.

What I don't get, and this is reaching beyond just the tool described in this thread, is "what do people consider innovation"? The term gets thrown around a lot, but almost nothing that is innovative, truly seems innovative, just popularized by the masses *iphones cough cough*. People keep looking to the next iteration to be innovative, but all they are typically are spec bumps with one or two throw away features.

So I check these forums and the facebook group(s) and there are constantly folks complaining about wanting certain features or it not being innovative enough, and I'm just like, what else can they do, beyond essentially a spec dump?

I own both sample based Pocket Operators. I own the Digitakt, I use Ableton, I have Reason, I have FL Studio, I used to use Sonar, I got the Force, I got the Live, I use the iPad Pro, I have the Kaossilator Pro and KP3+...and NONE of them are perfect, but they all excel at something.

The Digitakt is great for freestyle beat making, terrible when I already have an idea in my head.

The Pocket Operators are as portable as possible, but use batteries, and doing anything more than "playing around" requires more gear.

Ableton is my main work horse, it can do anything, but to use it at work requires a laptop purchase, and dragging around my Push 2 as well.

Reason, I hate the controller options/setup *personally*, and while its recent popularity has made it more accessible, I struggled with it for years, because I had no mentor and finding videos on Youtube or taking classes on it were so hard to even FIND. It also would require a laptop for portable use, along with some kind of controller.

FL Studio will require a laptop purchase, I have (2) Fires and they are super portable, so that is a plus. I like certain things about how FL Studio is setup, I hate other things about how its setup - I would not want to use it as my primary DAW, but its great for quick & simple pieces.

iPad is light weight, requires a controller (I run the XKey), but I'm simply not fond of any of the software I've used, for various reasons, my favorite being iMPC 2 - but it crashes too much to be reliable.

Kaossilator/KP3 combo is great for freestyling or building up or adding to something that is existing, but being stuck with only (4) channels is super rough. It doesn't play well with DAWs, etc. It feels like a toy from a productivity stand-point, like a more serious "Pocket Operator". But they can still sample.

Then there are the currently discussed Live (and for me Force). They are truly stand alone, no need for any controller unlike say the iPad. They can do way more than the Pocket Operators & Kaossilator/KP3+, though not as immediate. While the Digitakt is great for programming in stuff, the clicky feel of the buttons is also how the music feels. Its not exclusive to "EDM", but that's where it shines. The MPC however, if I have an idea, I can put it down. If I hear a quote on YT that I want to do some damage with, I can easily record it in, chop it up, and build up whatever is floating in my head. I don't have to take out a laptop and a controller. I can be on the bus and do it. The level of polish doesn't reach the true DAWs like Ableton, but it way more immediate. It's easy to use the touch screen and manipulate note data, compared to the Digitakt.

Is it perfect no, again things have been great for me *crossing fingers*, I can't dismiss the bad luck people have had with quality control. I'm sure people here are pushing it/them harder than I have - I don't do vocal work on the MPC, but have never needed to go beyond 5-6 tracks, and if the need arises, there are real EASY ways to navigate around 8 tracks.

So the MPC isn't dead for me, and I'm not going to complain, it has a specific set of skills and I enjoy those. If you need a portable workhorse, then a laptop is your best bet bar none, even if they crammed a laptop into an MPC for the next iteration so it could handle VSTs, there would still be issues when comparing it against Ableton/Reason. So #Shrug
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Tue May 21, 2019 4:05 pm
Lampdog wrote:This thing was ahead of it's time, too expensive and just didn't catch on. I never knew anyone who had one so I don't of problems with it. But, I drooled for years over it.

Also REALLY used to like this one.

Open lab was up against too many variables. VST were all the range and all in one keyboards were on there way out. But they showed that it could be done. Just like the Beat Thang. Most people hated it, now all these companies are using feature that the Beat Thang pushed. From LED colors to the Beat Making APP!

Great Hardware and simple,quick optimized software is key to longevity. This is what AKAI PRO is missing.
They nurtured the hardware, but bloated the software. They made a pretty device, but it lacks the professional substance.
By Danoc Tue May 21, 2019 4:17 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:Danoc - poked The wasp nest with this thread. Haha

:lol: man truthfully l didn't think it would take off as its doing. There were dome ruff spots but its smoothed out now.

Cause honestly Akai had the chance to make a beast no company wouldn't even think ti touch. They dropped the ball on that. To now try and go beast mode would be ridiculous. Dudes were already complaining about the price. Thete was a thread about the liv/X being worth the money. Smh
By CharlesRandolph Tue May 21, 2019 4:19 pm
Bezo wrote:
Work arounds take time & effort that could otherwise go towards creating. Who doesn't want the perfect machine & smoothest workflow? Personally, I want my tools out of the way.

Yes, that's what better tool do. They get out of the way. That's the issue with these new tools, if you do the basic, they are great. However, when you want to push them, that's when they start showing their colors.
By Danoc Tue May 21, 2019 4:33 pm
I got to play with the reg and XL Neko. Beast! That thing was dope. There wasn't to much wrong with them, great support but as you said to expensive. I almost got one. You could clone any keyboard on the market. It wasn't ahead of its time it was right on time, just to expensive. Lets talk about it.

If Akai makes a new MPC and they go Beast how much will it cost? Will the cost sit between the X/Live or be more than the X? For a none glitch unit it will take some top notch components. Gotta pay for labor etc. Its not going to be cheap. That's what happened to the Neko. If the Neko was $1,299 (the price of a new 2000XL) they would of killed it. You had everything in one box, Protools , 16 pads, keys, computer, and any synth you coyld get.
This why l don't see a new machine.

That Oasys is sweeeeet! I use to gp tho Dam Ash just to play it.

Lampdog wrote:This thing was ahead of it's time, too expensive and just didn't catch on. I never knew anyone who had one so I don't of problems with it. But, I drooled for years over it.

Also REALLY used to like this one.

By CharlesRandolph Tue May 21, 2019 4:35 pm
Danoc wrote:[ :lol: man truthfully l didn't think it would take off as its doing. There were dome ruff spots but its smoothed out now.

Cause honestly Akai had the chance to make a beast no company wouldn't even think ti touch. They dropped the ball on that. To now try and go beast mode would be ridiculous. Dudes were already complaining about the price. Thete was a thread about the liv/X being worth the money. Smh

That BEAST MPC would cost. Yes, people will complain and complain about the price. But they would sell out!
Akai PRO could go direct to the consumer, which would actually lower the price.
By Bezo Tue May 21, 2019 4:38 pm
Danoc wrote:...If Akai makes a new MPC and they go Beast how much will it cost? Will the cost sit between the X/Live or be more than the X? For a none glitch unit it will take some top notch components. Gotta pay for labor etc. Its not going to be cheap. That's what happened to the Neko. If the Neko was $1,299 (the price of a new 2000XL) they would of killed it. You had everything in one box, Protools , 16 pads, keys, computer, and any synth you coyld get.
This why l don't see a new machine...
IMO, it would definitely cost more than the X. But think about what you wouldn't need. CPU, DAW, audio interface... It would be cheaper than those tools individually.
By Danoc Tue May 21, 2019 4:43 pm
$4,100? Whooooa that's mor than the Neko lol
2000 units only? Hmmm l wonder who would buy this in here?

Let me ask again , is the Ableton link working with the MPCs?

CharlesRandolph wrote:Limited edition 2000 units at $4100 each. The software is already done and ready to run on x86 format. So the only thing is design and sourcing parts. User can upgrade their RAM and SSD
By Danoc Tue May 21, 2019 4:55 pm
True to you and CharlesRandolph post.

Bezo wrote:
Danoc wrote:...If Akai makes a new MPC and they go Beast how much will it cost? Will the cost sit between the X/Live or be more than the X? For a none glitch unit it will take some top notch components. Gotta pay for labor etc. Its not going to be cheap. That's what happened to the Neko. If the Neko was $1,299 (the price of a new 2000XL) they would of killed it. You had everything in one box, Protools , 16 pads, keys, computer, and any synth you coyld get.
This why l don't see a new machine...
IMO, it would definitely cost more than the X. But think about what you wouldn't need. CPU, DAW, audio interface... It would be cheaper than those tools individually.
By CharlesRandolph Tue May 21, 2019 5:01 pm
Danoc wrote:$4,100? Whooooa that's mor than the Neko lol
2000 units only? Hmmm l wonder who would buy this in here?

Let me ask again , is the Ableton link working with the MPCs?

People bought MPC LIVE, X, and Akai Force. Stands, bags, skins, and protections cover for them all. They already bought it 1 and 1/2 times :lol:
By Danoc Tue May 21, 2019 5:04 pm
Lmao :lol:
I never got that, why have so many machines? For me l like to master the one and make it do what l need.

So its safe to say the ABleton link isn't working huh?

CharlesRandolph wrote:People bought MPC LIVE, X, and Akai Force. They already bought it 1 and 1/2 times :lol:
By Fanu Tue May 21, 2019 5:09 pm
I see a lot of complaining…while one could just leave it behind if it's not good for them, not make a song and dance about it, use what they see fit, and move on in life.
By CharlesRandolph Tue May 21, 2019 5:11 pm
Danoc wrote:Lmao :lol:
I never got that, why have so many machines? For me l like to master the one and make it do what l need.

So its safe to say the ABleton link isn't working huh?

When Ableton link is working for the Akai Force, I'm sure you'll see 100 of NEW accounts, pushing it. Where do all those guys go. It's like they all stopped posting at the same time. :lol:
By CharlesRandolph Tue May 21, 2019 5:23 pm
Fanu wrote:I see a lot of complaining…while one could just leave it behind if it's not good for them, not make a song and dance about it, use what they see fit, and move on in life.

It's not complaining, it's called FEATURE REQUEST. :lol: