MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
Bymember04959388 Mon May 20, 2019 5:45 pm
Unreallystic wrote:Ya'll's post makes me sad. I can't sum it up any better than that.

I've been fortunate, I had one issue out the box that was fixed with the first patch release, and have had smooth sailing since then with only one piece of content lost from crashing, and only having it crashed a total of two times on me.

I kind of want to throw the typical "what did you expect" shade that I throw, but that's not what this *situation* is. If you aren't happy with it *now*, I HIGHLY doubt you ever will be happy with it. Even a MPC Live 2.0 with super beefed up specs won't compare to a fully fleshed out DAW. Its simply not realistic to compare a hardware iteration to software package that doesn't HAVE to worry about the hardware aspect, can be modified easier and more frequently, at less cost, and with less headaches. Integration of VSTs and the ilk into a software based DAW is so much easier than trying to make sure they not only work, but have the available horsepower - in a hardware based piece of equipment. So, dead ass, if it doesn't work for you now, it won't work for you in the future.

for me, it is what it is. My expectations were slightly different than most, and they have been met. The Live was never meant to be a center-piece of my studio, I have Push 2 + Ableton 9 + Komplete + tons of outboard gear, it was never going to compete. The MPC for me was to be a different workflow, with more energy than I get when working with Ableton, and portable. I don't currently have a Laptop, and while the cost of a new MPC Live lines up with a laptop, being restricted to just working on music is a big plus for someone like me who gets easily distracted.

My biggest issue is transference and polish. I never really want to "come back" to work on a song, so anything I do in standalone will typically stay there, so despite working with the MPC for what two years now, you won't find much of anything by me floating on the internet, let alone with the MPC. However that is a "me" issue, and not something I would throw on Akai or the equipment, I simply revel in the 85% of song making, and not the final 15%.

I hope ya'll get what ya'll want out of any further gear you get. Truly do. Good luck.
- Unreall

I am saying I am totally into Mpc standalone and Akai accomplished its task giving me a very inspirational device.
I was just suggesting to use it as an hardware instrument next to others.
There is nothing like it on the market, it is the future of dedicated music devices and it will become better and better.
My setup is based on it so I didn't say anything sad about it.
I just think that as a software is underdeveloped and that is also normal because it was born as a standalone machine in the 90s and it shines if used it this way and I love using it this way.
After 10 years of computer based music creation, it was like returning to the feeling of making LIVE music and that was supercool.
So yes, all my music is made this way and then the last step is made with computer, actually just the mixing of 3 stereo channels coming out from Mpc through external fx then into a mixer and then from a mixer to a multitrack.
So I just skip the software and I am 100 per cent happy with this workflow I found
By QuickStrike Mon May 20, 2019 6:23 pm
Interesting!

Well well well.... (Evil laughter) shoot ill be the bad guy. Thats right! I see you guys (finally!) made it to the party. What in the world took you so long to realize this is not the same MPC movement? I mean the directions they have been going with these new units is far from cutting edge technology. More like dull butter knife. (Very painfull to operate ) I feel like the reason why they have been getting away with this foolery for so long is because all the guys like yall. Thats right. Promoting all this Rudy Poo stuff over the last few years. Green lighting, Gassing up akai with them wack mediocre features.

Chapter 2
Now the love and vibe is gone

Just a bad taste in your mouth every time you say akai. (Mmmmmm so disgusting)

And don't ask me how to fix the problem because I got solutions. Y'all just don't listen around here. Dudes always begging akai with they hand out talking about more mediocre glitchy features please. :vomit:

I cant wait to read the excuse responses for akai pros f-ups. Yall be like "It's not all MPCs it's just your unit send it back" lol Or the typical "ignore the problem and add more gimmicks" Or blame the user and say the old mpc heads don't know what they're doing lol. :popcorn: like yall always give from this site. It's a never ending story.
Last edited by QuickStrike on Mon May 20, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bymember04959388 Mon May 20, 2019 6:51 pm
QuickStrike wrote:Interesting!

Well well well.... (Evil laughter) shoot ill be the bad guy. Thats right! I see you guys (finally!) made it to the party. What in the world took you so long to realize this is not the same MPC movement? I mean the directions they have been going with these new units is far from cutting edge technology. More like dull butter knife. (Very painfull to operate ) I feel like the reason why they have been getting away with this foolery for so long is because all the guys like yall. Thats right. Promoting all this Rudy Poo stuff over the last few years. Green lighting, Gassing up akai with them wack mediocre features.

Chapter 2

And don't ask me how to fix the problem because I got solutions. Y'all just don't listen around here. Dudes always begging akai with they hand out talking about more mediocre glitchy features please. :vomit:

I cant wait to read the excuse responses for akai pros f-ups. Yall be like "It's not all MPCs it's just your unit send it back" lol Or the typical "ignore the problem and add more gimmicks" Or blame the user and say the old mpc heads don't know what they're doing lol. :popcorn: like yall always give from this site. It's a never any story.

No you are not right.
Akai is just looking for a new direction after the daw rising made it useless.
Mpc now is a mix of different directions, none of them developed enough.
But I cannot say new Mpc is a failure. There is a lot of intrrest in it, many buyers, discussion on forums and so on.
Why?
Because it can be a new way of making music without a computer but it is still unsure how it will be but it is sure it can be much more.
If you read the forums, a lot of complains stopped after 2.3 and 2.4 updates, when Mpc started to be serious.
Before that it was a joke.
As for it is now, I am satisfied with it.
If you are mediocre, anything you use will not change your mediocrity.
This is why most of people complain, blaming all to the machine.
You can make great music now with your Mpc now.
It's up to you.
By Cockdiesel Mon May 20, 2019 7:04 pm
round and round we go....

no real issues with using the standalone live here. yall can **** and moan all you want, some people have valid points others are real nit picky. Is what it is, you're either going to like it or hate it and we have two years of proof of this in the forum threads. You should see the bitching and moaning other companies create.... Elektron, Pioneer, heck even moog have people bitching. I guess that's all the internet is these days, people looking for things to **** about.

I don't understand the train of thought danoc is rocking here. I foresee a lot more standalone units for most companies. The old-school MPC head isn't the target market. Look more towards those hooked on modular crack, and aspiring "DJ producers" with money to blow. Go on instagram or youtube, popular beat makers just rock fl studio now. Kick out like 20 beats a night and sell sample packs...

THE TREND IS TO SELL YOU ONE BOX THAT YOU NEED 5 OTHER BOXES TO WORK WITH. If anything the commercialization of music making is what you should be mad at.
By BeatWilson Mon May 20, 2019 7:17 pm
Ya'll gotta shut up and make music... like i read all the time for new information but this isnt new. this is someone complaining... we get it its the end of standalone for YOU. I used computers so for me its usefull. If i wanted to tap a space bar all day to stop and start my daw while using the painful mouse or some other wack controller than id do it. I **** hate mouses. For real.... i used them for mastering and thats it.

yes old functions missing on the mpc, but new ones came in. Yes im ok with how it is right now. My beats are comming out fine. It really depends on the Genre your making. If you are making ELECTRONIC music like DNB, glitchhop, dubstep or whatever the ****, then get yourself a god damn DAW! This will not REPLACE your daw it will only be a blueprint or a sketch of your song. for me i can almost finish it in the mpc because ive been using them for sometime, but i do know some people have become reliant to some classic features that are still not there which messes up there old flow with there old hardware gear. But if it does not work for you do some research and DONT BUY IT get yourself a different machine or a different model of mpc.

Noone needs to backup a company that dont give to shits about anyone. Just make music, and if it works for you and you want it then go for it. do the proper research.

You guys post so much negative shit on these forums... its like little girls everywhere and honestly more than half the time i havent heard anything you all make so by example i have no idea to trust any of your opinions. this is why i only read here and there most of the time on these forums and stick to talking to people that run LARGE STUDIOS that have like 4 different MPC sitting around, we talk about the advantages and disadvantages of each. Figure out which one works for you and go with it.

Im over this....

ps: you want your everything in a box? its called a computer... get that... FFS...
By Cockdiesel Mon May 20, 2019 7:23 pm
can you blame them? without some of this selling out, some of these companies wouldn't exist. Would you rather have something to **** about, or **** about nothing to **** about?

I know you make straight fire with your x quick, not sure what your gripes have been. Although I hate the mpc software and know you also had experiance with he ren and all that.

Danoc was the biggest AKai fanboy these last few years, but it doesn't seem he needs the live... now he's saying standalone units are over for akai two monthes after akai releases a new standalone unit...

bare with me i just don't understand the mental gymnastics going on here, or even the point.
Bymember04959388 Mon May 20, 2019 7:24 pm
BeatWilson wrote:Ya'll gotta shut up and make music... like i read all the time for new information but this isnt new. this is someone complaining... we get it its the end of standalone for YOU. I used computers so for me its usefull. If i wanted to tap a space bar all day to stop and start my daw while using the painful mouse or some other wack controller than id do it. I **** hate mouses. For real.... i used them for mastering and thats it.

yes old functions missing on the mpc, but new ones came in. Yes im ok with how it is right now. My beats are comming out fine. It really depends on the Genre your making. If you are making ELECTRONIC music like DNB, glitchhop, dubstep or whatever the ****, then get yourself a god damn DAW! This will not REPLACE your daw it will only be a blueprint or a sketch of your song. for me i can almost finish it in the mpc because ive been using them for sometime, but i do know some people have become reliant to some classic features that are still not there which messes up there old flow with there old hardware gear. But if it does not work for you do some research and DONT BUY IT get yourself a different machine or a different model of mpc.

Noone needs to backup a company that dont give to **** about anyone. Just make music, and if it works for you and you want it then go for it. do the proper research.

You guys post so much negative **** on these forums... its like little girls everywhere and honestly more than half the time i havent heard anything you all make so by example i have no idea to trust any of your opinions. this is why i only read here and there most of the time on these forums and stick to talking to people that run LARGE STUDIOS that have like 4 different MPC sitting around, we talk about the advantages and disadvantages of each. Figure out which one works for you and go with it.

Im over this....

Good way of thinking.
People will complain even if Nasa will give them a quantic computer of 20 million dollars for free.
If you want to know what music I make with Mpc, go here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuLQvqetKV8
By Danoc Mon May 20, 2019 7:57 pm
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Exactly you hit it on the head Eyalc, when it was brougt to me l was excited because of the MEMORIES of the 2000XL that l let go in 2012 because of its old technology. Reason was my life saver.
When l saw the X l was almost pulled in by the aesthetics, not what it could do. Then l had to be real to myself "do l really need the X?"

Why buy a $2,199 machine when lm only going to do drums on it? So l scaled down to the Live. The reasons l got the live in order is below.
1st Reason l got the live, no latency when drumming in patterns.
2. The dope sequencer.
3. Standalone
4. Battery
5. Portable
6. Touch screen
7. Input for a mic (quality l must say is dope)!
8. 2 USB inputs.
9. SD card reader.
10. Export stems. I really got excited when l heard it could do this. (No need to use the 6 outputs cause l was done with tracking out, l want no parts of that crap).
11. This would've been #3 if Akai would have advertised it.. EXPLODING! Awwwwh OMG! Heaven sent. This helped me to put each sound on an individual track. I was already doing that in Reason years ago. Then the second explode on exporting so your track wont come out in stereo.
12. Able to change bit rate and resolution, e.g. 44.1/24 bit etc.
13. Ton of free sounds.
14. Dope free Air instruments, Mini Grand , Loom, Hybrid 3, Xpand 2 etc. I bought the Vsti versions of Hybrid 3 and Xpand 2 to rock in Reason.
15. Note repeat to do trap hihats etc. (But l can do all that in Redrum in R10 with ease!)
16. Air effects (now improved are dope).

Talking about need, is when l go to the major stu to bang out drums cause a lot of places have old MPCs or none and l can bang out quicly and export on the spot and import into Protools. That's where my Live shines.

Another need is when l hear a drum pattern in my head l can quickly turn on the MPC and bang out whitout turn my workstation on.

And there you have it.

Now l wonder what Akai could do what a DAW can't to make us have to have it. Im to far gone into the DAW world and powerful computer world to turn back to the MPC. It will never be the center piece of my stu as it once was. My stu is compact and l love that. I work inside the box which l really love and enjoy. No spaghetti and lots of space around me. No heat from outside equipment, that has gone down drastically. My MPC is about the only thing l worry bout with heat. But l have tge Aukey tilt stand which has 4 fans running under MPC, from the USB port from the MPC :-D

If Akai makes something new they will have to target beginners who don't know any better.
The glitchy rep Akai has people don't feel like spending money and wasting time. :smoker:

Eyalc wrote:IMO the problem is that back in the day the traditional DAWs knew what the MPC could do. They watched the 60, 3000, 2000... And they started to implement those features in their products. When Akai sold to InMusic, it slowed down their innovation and development, and those DAWs caught up, and then surpassed them. I always argue, I could do the same exact things in Logic that I can do in an MPC. I just PREFER the MPC workflow more, so I use it when it makes sense. But take the MPC away from me, and I could still produce the same quality of music. And that's become the primary challenge for Akai now - their products aren't "sticky" anymore.

When the MPC was dominant you couldn't do what they do with anything else. They were "sticky". Now, I can do the same things that an MPC can do (and even more), in any number of products. Back in the day their products were almost mandatory. Now they're just a preference. @danoc is stating that - for him (and me), the MPC is a preference, and without it, he'd still produce the same music, with the same sound, the same feel... nothing changes in the final product. And that's a problem for Akai. That's the difference between Akai then vs Akai now. Back then I needed an MPC, now it's just cool to have.

If I'm Akai, bail on this DAW nonsense and focus on making it an instrument that does things that I can't do in my DAW. That will make it sticky again. Akai is chasing the DAWs right now, trying to make the MPC do something it wasn't designed to do. Thus, keeping it solidly rooted in the "preference" world. Too many DAWs with YEARS of development behind them. Never going to catch them.

I don't have any issues with my MPC. Never have, other than small bugs here and there. Do I wish it was more? Absolutely. Do I think it will become more? Absolutely not. It is what it is, and I'm good with it. I just don't see Akai "winning" with their current focus.
By r4nd0m Mon May 20, 2019 7:58 pm
hmm I am not sure if I agree - maybe still in honeymoon period but I have very little to criticise with my Live - I use it standalone and now with Ableton - I also got a Push and sometimes except for standalone it feels like the live a bit obsolete but then when using it standalone, making a beat using chord progressions etc I am amazed what I get out of it ... I wish it would work like a standard midi controller sometimes as I like the feel of the pads over the Push2 but all in all it seems to work well after I had rerouted all my folders to only point to the internal ssd when in controller mode etc ... not sure if I actually miss something eg compared to when I see people talking about the force that I was considering as for me there is potential to bridge the gap from mpc to push but Akai/InMusic are still due to deliver on that front which I am not sure they will as anticipated ...

anyhow, you got a hammer anything looks like a nail and I am sure if you want to find a fault you can find it - so far nothing has really hindered me to be creative and I am still learning more and more every day
By Bezo Mon May 20, 2019 8:01 pm
Eyalc wrote:...If I'm Akai, bail on this DAW nonsense and focus on making it an instrument that does things that I can't do in my DAW...

Akai is chasing the DAWs right now, trying to make the MPC do something it wasn't designed to do...
What do you think the MPC could do at this point that DAWs can't? Every DAW I'm aware of has a full blown sequencer & feature packed sampler. And there are 3rd party soft samplers running circles around the MPC (Serato).

IMO, abandoning the hybrid set up would hurt the MPC line severely. DAWless production is a niche market, and the MPC is behind other groove boxes regarding sampling & sequencing.

:lol: Hilarious that folks call features they don't use nonsense.
By Danoc Mon May 20, 2019 8:14 pm
:lol: :lol:

N.O.C.<----- fell the hell out laughing :lol:

Hey man l gave Akai since 2017 till now. Enough time to do an evaluation. From what l see its the end if the road for the MPC. Updates may occur but a new machine and people buying into these machines is not happening. Its just not taking a grip on people as it use to.

QuickStrike wrote:Interesting!

Chapter 2

I cant wait to read the excuse responses for akai pros f-ups. Yall be like "It's not all MPCs it's just your unit send it back" lol Or the typical "ignore the problem and add more gimmicks" Or blame the user and say the old mpc heads don't know what they're doing lol. :popcorn: like yall always give from this site. It's a never ending story.
By 40Beatz Mon May 20, 2019 8:24 pm
I come from the "WorkAround" Era. Back when you had to use Creativity to make the MPC do what you wanted it to do, because it couldn't do what you envisioned it to do! (whew mouthful) I know im weird but I embrace it when I encounter a feature the MPC cannot handle. Forces me to do somethin CREATIVE to make it happen Sonically. Sometimes we need outboard equipment or a DAW to make something beautiful.
Bottom Line...

I hope InMusic comes out with One Last Update that addresses most Problems/Gripes, then Discontinue the X/Live. Put it on the Hall Of Fame Top Shelf, Then introduce us to the Next Generation Hardware MPC. In 2020 2021 we'll be complaining about the New MPC XXXTreme or whatever. It'll come with 2TB of RAM, and we'll want 8TB of RAM. 20" Screen and we'll want a 40" Detachable Plasma etc
By Danoc Mon May 20, 2019 8:38 pm
Let me take care of you and your anorexic language arts!

You said lm complaining? Lmao

First off you're getting concerned about others and these stone aged gimics mixed up with complaining. That's your down fall right there. Ask anyone l barely complain because my machine works 100% from the day l bought it.

Now if you would take your ass to the main page you will see ALL THE DAM PROBLEMS PEOPLE ARE HAVING! Do you not have eyeballs that you can't see?

I said what l said because of the MPC weather from 2017 till now. Why in the F*** would Akai make another MPC strictly standalone if they don't have these machines glitch free? Im talking about not seeing a future for a new machine not complaining dude.

Funny you said lm complaining but you're complaining about a mouse and space bar lol and l mean you're going the hell off lol :lol: Hell is you talking bout?
On my DAWs l don't hit a space bar l have a bad ass X-One Touch, l press STOP AND PLAY on it.

A few know what projects lm doing and l do music. Im not here every day on every post either.

Know the difference between complaining and concerns!
The standalone MPC is going to end for all of us whether you like it or not. Im just gettin ya prepared homey! :smoker:

BeatWilson wrote:Ya'll gotta shut up and make music... like i read all the time for new information but this isnt new. this is someone complaining... we get it its the end of standalone for YOU. I used computers so for me its usefull. If i wanted to tap a space bar all day to stop and start my daw while using the painful mouse or some other wack controller than id do it. I **** hate mouses. For real.... i used them for mastering and thats it.

Noone needs to backup a company that dont give to **** about anyone. Just make music, and if it works for you and you want it then go for it. do the proper research.

You guys post so much negative **** on these forums... its like little girls everywhere and honestly more than half the time i havent heard anything you all make so by example i have no idea to trust any of your opinions. this is why i only read here and there most of the time on these forums and stick to talking to people that run LARGE STUDIOS that have like 4 different MPC sitting around, we talk about the advantages and disadvantages of each. Figure out which one works for you and go with it.

Im over this....

ps: you want your everything in a box? its called a computer... get that... FFS...
Last edited by Danoc on Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Eyalc Mon May 20, 2019 8:40 pm
Bezo wrote:What do you think the MPC could do at this point that DAWs can't? Every DAW I'm aware of has a full blown sequencer & feature packed sampler. And there are 3rd party soft samplers running circles around the MPC (Serato).

Man I’m just an opinion guy. I don’t get my feathers ruffled by much - certainly not the internet. If “nonsense” is too strong of a word, apologies.

Regarding your question, man any answer I give would be SO subjective it wouldn’t be worth the argument it would cause. I’m just stating my opinion on what I would be doing if I were getting paid to innovate and disrupt the sampler / sequencer market. But I’m not, so my time is better spent doing other things, rather than providing ammunition for disagreement (not meaning from you directly, just general byproduct of internet banter).

And I use the word nonsense because of what you just stated. Entering into a red ocean where lots of competitive options already exist... in a market that has already passed you by, trying to catch up by introducing features that are done better in a DAW environment. In the two corporations I’ve started and sold, we’d call that nonsense. Forgive if calling it that offends. And I do use the features, which is why IMO, they’re non-performing, non-competitive, non-differentiating, and therefore... nonsense. A softer word could be - unwise. But this is just all my opinion.

Nevertheless, I’m incredibly comfortable with the MPC platform, and will continue to use it on many projects to come. Regardless of the direction they take it (well, as long as they don’t change too much).

And with that... The fifth studio album from Blue Soul Ten called Ten Percent coming summer 2019. Featuring vocalists from London, Nashville, Toronto, LA, Africa and Oklahoma. I know, shameless self-promotion. One track from my previous album is in my signature.