MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By 40Beatz Tue May 21, 2019 5:32 pm
In My Eyes...in addition to what the Live/X has now, Only thing that a new Box would have to have, is Disk Streaming, Upgradable RAM, VST Support, and Audio streaming thru USB 3.0. Maybe HDMI support for external Monitor(s). Unlocking the WiFi/Bluetooth potential it already has. And last....Full Midi Implementation.
Bymember04959388 Tue May 21, 2019 5:57 pm
40Beatz wrote:In My Eyes...in addition to what the Live/X has now, Only thing that a new Box would have to have, is Disk Streaming, Upgradable RAM, VST Support, and Audio streaming thru USB 3.0. Maybe HDMI support for external Monitor(s). Unlocking the WiFi/Bluetooth potential it already has. And last....Full Midi Implementation.

For my needs, even no additions would be welcome if they fix all bugs, especially the glitch that happens sometimes when switching modes.
Apart from that, from a standalone point of view, I have all I need.
Mmm maybe a granular fx :)
You see, everyone has some request.
But Mpc Live is almost perfect for my needs.
Just crash the **** bugs PLEASE
By Bezo Tue May 21, 2019 5:59 pm
Fanu wrote:I see a lot of complaining…while one could just leave it behind if it's not good for them, not make a song and dance about it, use what they see fit, and move on in life.
I'd assume many are using what they see fit while wanting it to improve. That's the group I'm in. What folks are complaining about & wishing for is currently not available elsewhere.
By Fanu Tue May 21, 2019 6:06 pm
I have done a post similar to this. After that, I put the Live aside, and as some nice updates came in, I started liking it more.
Currently I kind of take it for what it is and have kind of dropped all hope for my biggest wishes:
• PDC
• automation lanes
• being able to delete or edit specific automation and not delete all in one go
• browser sorting

I'd loooove to have those for sure…but to some extent Live answers my needs. It's like 7.5/10.
I recently sold all my Elektron gear, for example, but did still keep Live as its workflow is dope in making sample-based music.
By Danoc Tue May 21, 2019 6:33 pm
I thought Ab link was suppose to work with the Live and X?

I don't know where they went lol

CharlesRandolph wrote:
When Ableton link is working for the Akai Force, I'm sure you'll see 100 of NEW accounts, pushing it. Where do all those guys go. It's like they all stopped posting at the same time. :lol:
By QuickStrike Tue May 21, 2019 6:52 pm
Lampdog wrote:
Danoc wrote:Image

Remember Open Labs Neko? It had everything in it, Protools , and any hardware synth. They were cloning hardware and putting it in these. Open Labs failed.

This thing was ahead of it's time, too expensive and just didn't catch on. I never knew anyone who had one so I don't of problems with it. But, I drooled for years over it.

Also REALLY used to like this one.

Yes the open labs Neko is cool. I've have and is still using timberland edition for the last 10 years now. as of February. I use it side by side with my MPCX. And over the years with different MPCs and gear. definitely overpriced because I could just pick up a regular computer and do the same thing but there's been times I did showe and the setup was perfect. I actually feel like I influenced Akai to make the new units with computer and touch screens because I was using MPC 2500 with a 22-in screen mounted to the back of it. Using reasons 5 as a soundhost something like mpc software.

10 years ago innovative tech

This is why I say a lot of these features that we are getting is not impressive. Especially to me because I was able to do this well over 10 years ago. Biggest concern is performance stability workflow and timing.

By MaScHiNeHeAd Tue May 21, 2019 7:10 pm
My 2 cents.....
FWIW, I've generally no complaints with the Live. It's the right size for me, not unwieldy, It ticks more boxes for me than it crosses.
However, if I'd had the bad run of luck that some have had, (not you, Danoc.. :lol: ), then I would be questioning my choice of machine/manufacturer.

But to take Danoc's point, there is probably a finite point that we will reach when standalone will be a thing of the past, & computer connectivity whether via wired or wireless connection (remember, the LPK25 wireless already has this), is required.
Sad, but a probable reality.
The other sad thing is that Akai need to develop the ideas in these units, as it could be soooooo much more!!
And as some have said, we'll probably get to 3.0 & Akai will discontinue it, in favour of the shiny new thing they're flogging....
I just wish they'd sort out one device first before moving onto another....(sigh).
Peace to all 8) 8)
Bymember04959388 Tue May 21, 2019 7:38 pm
MaScHiNeHeAd wrote:My 2 cents.....
FWIW, I've generally no complaints with the Live. It's the right size for me, not unwieldy, It ticks more boxes for me than it crosses.
However, if I'd had the bad run of luck that some have had, (not you, Danoc.. :lol: ), then I would be questioning my choice of machine/manufacturer.

But to take Danoc's point, there is probably a finite point that we will reach when standalone will be a thing of the past, & computer connectivity whether via wired or wireless connection (remember, the LPK25 wireless already has this), is required.
Sad, but a probable reality.
The other sad thing is that Akai need to develop the ideas in these units, as it could be soooooo much more!!
And as some have said, we'll probably get to 3.0 & Akai will discontinue it, in favour of the shiny new thing they're flogging....
I just wish they'd sort out one device first before moving onto another....(sigh).
Peace to all 8) 8)

I disagree.
Computer will be replaced by dedicated devices as it is already happening.
And I think Mpc is been a good selling point for Akai and they are not going to discontinue it soon, at least they will make a 2.0.
And speaking about Force, well, I don't see it replacing Mpc, its just a clip based platform and I don't see much enthusiasm about it honestly.
By MaScHiNeHeAd Tue May 21, 2019 8:37 pm
@Frisbi: I DO hope you're right about Akai continuing to provide updates, as I too want them to develop these units. As I said, these MPC's could be so much better given the time & regular updates.
I'm invested in them doing so, & although I want to have faith that Akai will do just that, It's just a worry, that's all.
Don't think I'd buy a 2.0 version though. I have more than enough MPC's!!

As far as Force goes, that's a big nah from me. I'll pass.

Peace 8) 8)
By CharlesRandolph Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 pm
QuickStrike wrote:Yes the open labs Neko is cool. I've have and is still using timberland edition for the last 10 years now. as of February. I use it side by side with my MPCX. And over the years with different MPCs and gear. definitely overpriced because I could just pick up a regular computer and do the same thing but there's been times I did showe and the setup was perfect.

I actually feel like I influenced Akai to make the new units with computer and touch screens because I was using MPC 2500 with a 22-in screen mounted to the back of it. Using reasons 5 as a soundhost something like mpc software.

10 years ago innovative tech

This is why I say a lot of these features that we are getting is not impressive. Especially to me because I was able to do this well over 10 years ago. Biggest concern is performance stability workflow and timing.

What piece of gear, would replace your MIKO?
What is missing in your setup?

For myself it's was Networking and having instant access to every piece of gear. I found that the Innovation in audio, is happening in broadcasting and the live world. While music equipment is stuck in past. Beside MIDI, none of the gear actually talks to each other.

For me the MPC was the brains of the studio. It's the one piece that could talk to them all. However, that is no longer the case. Perhaps that's because all the work flows are smashed together. Production, Recording, Mixing, and Mastering. Or maybe it's the fact that these companies are no longer PRO AUDIO.
By Unreallystic Tue May 21, 2019 9:05 pm
Danoc wrote:The thing is you already have 2 standalones, X And Live. Akai can spend less money improvung and updating. Like the new Air effects and background design, it looks dope and they sound pro. We need to get to 3.0 and glitch free. Akai can add things on without wasting time on a new design, time and resoures.

How do you go from machines that still have problems to a new machine? The new machine most definitely have have big problems.

Unreallystic, hypothetical, if Akai majes a new machime it will most likely sit between the X and Live price wise. Are you wiling to buy a new MPC? Say, $1,799?

I am not asking for a new MPC right now, I merely stated that it will come at some point. Adding additional effects and the such would be great, and I hope they do, but that money has to come from somewhere. If people are bailing and not buying anymore, then they either need to make an AIR store or release a new unit to "spur" sales, to continue improvements. Realistically, we can look at the Force as "releasing new hardware" and what they would do...

If they released a new standalone, it will be based off the existing platform, so they would institute fixs for the current line of MPC as they were designing the next line.

The jumping around Akai has done as you describe it, isn't REALLY jumping around...they essentially made a variant of the MPC that is better designed for live play, and the Fire was a stab at providing a controller for one of the more popular platforms that doesn't have one. They would get money from me if they did the samething for Reason.

"I" am not planning on buying another MPC at this point - even with a new release, because it won't change anything for me. There is nothing they could add on to the MPC that would make me swoon short of somehow integrating VSTs, like a partnership with Native Instruments. I don't really care much about a spec bump, sure I will always take one, but I don't personally feel limited *right now* by the MPC's limits, sure its most likely preventing us from GETTING some of the AIR synths/FX, but I am good, I can always flatten and combine samples if I need more "room".

I HAVE my personal preference for a "next step" from Akai, a cross between the MPC line and the MPK line, so I can get real keys to play the synth, and its more stage/performance ready. A MPK249+Live hybrid with additional synth engines built in and some kind of load algorithm designed to allow me to switch programs without "stopping". I don't need 32 channels or an i7 thrown in there, go down the path of an instrument that can sample.
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Tue May 21, 2019 9:20 pm
Unreallystic wrote:I am not asking for a new MPC right now, I merely stated that it will come at some point. Adding additional effects and the such would be great, and I hope they do, but that money has to come from somewhere. If people are bailing and not buying anymore, then they either need to make an AIR store or release a new unit to "spur" sales, to continue improvements. Realistically, we can look at the Force as "releasing new hardware" and what they would do...

If they released a new standalone, it will be based off the existing platform, so they would institute fixs for the current line of MPC as they were designing the next line.

The jumping around Akai has done as you describe it, isn't REALLY jumping around...they essentially made a variant of the MPC that is better designed for live play, and the Fire was a stab at providing a controller for one of the more popular platforms that doesn't have one. They would get money from me if they did the samething for Reason.

"I" am not planning on buying another MPC at this point - even with a new release, because it won't change anything for me. There is nothing they could add on to the MPC that would make me swoon short of somehow integrating VSTs, like a partnership with Native Instruments. I don't really care much about a spec bump, sure I will always take one, but I don't personally feel limited *right now* by the MPC's limits, sure its most likely preventing us from GETTING some of the AIR synths/FX, but I am good, I can always flatten and combine samples if I need more "room".

I HAVE my personal preference for a "next step" from Akai, a cross between the MPC line and the MPK line, so I can get real keys to play the synth, and its more stage/performance ready. A MPK249+Live hybrid with additional synth engines built in and some kind of load algorithm designed to allow me to switch programs without "stopping". I don't need 32 channels or an i7 thrown in there, go down the path of an instrument that can sample.
- Unreall

You see if the MPK 249 and the LIVE actually talked to each other. You would not need the hybrid. Nevertheless, if you use the MPC 2.0 software, then your live and MPK 249 could talk to the software. However, the MPC LIVE/X does not have VIP 3.0 integrations. :lol: They are just throw things against the wall, and hoping something will stick.

They made the Akai Fire for FL Studios and you can link 4 of them together, to work as one big unit. However, Akai Pro can't do that with the MPC LIVE, X and Force. My goodness :lol: :lol:
By Danoc Tue May 21, 2019 9:32 pm
Please give 3 examples of what you said.

Dedicated devices can live side by side with computers but computers gone altogether? Nah that's not happening. To many VSTi and Vsts out for computers. PCs are getting better and with the coming of SSD and them droppin in price ain't no way a computer will be replaced.

Frisbi wrote:I disagree.
Computer will be replaced by dedicated devices as it is already happening.
By hansjbs Tue May 21, 2019 10:35 pm
I had the Neko XXL. It was a beast, I sold it because I needed space. I kept the Dbeat which I don’t think I will ever sell. I still have a Miko that’s in pieces that I got from someone that didn’t know what to do with it. Not sure what i’m Gonna do with it either
By Danoc Tue May 21, 2019 10:45 pm
Not going to lie that DBeat is dope. When they stop making MPC standalone lma get a DBeat :-D :smoker: l would never let that DBeat go either.
:shock: You had the XXL? Man you had a beast. If l bought one way back l would still have it. That's a one in all inside the box unit. I like that.
You can say l am setbup like a Neko but l have separate parts. Miko is neat too. But lm feeling the Miko LXD with 16 pads.

I kid you not l see a Neko for $6,660.00 right now :shock: :shock:

hansjbs wrote:I had the Neko XXL. It was a beast, I sold it because I needed space. I kept the Dbeat which I don’t think I will ever sell. I still have a Miko that’s in pieces that I got from someone that didn’t know what to do with it. Not sure what i’m Gonna do with it either