MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Mon May 20, 2019 11:16 am
Peace.

I have come to the realization and conclusion of the title concept because of the way Akai handles the new MPCs. Many people are experiencing gliches still and trouble with their MPC Live/X. I read where a person had to send their MPC back TWICE and still got a new one that was glitchy. That is INSANITY!

I may be blessed to have a working MPC but to see 70% people not happy and their machine not working and how Akai reacts bothers me to a certain extant. I'm happy l wanna see others happy. If my machine works but others don't l can't even have a convo because theirs don't work, its insane.

This is the end of the line for the MPC. Even if Akai comes out with another one l wouldn't buy into it. Which l doubt they will. If they were to make a new one it would have to be top notch made. No more crap.
1. 8 to 16GB Ram, option to upgrade to 16GB ram.
2. Disk streaming.
3. Automation lanes.
4. 8 outs, stereo and mono.
5. Portable with a battery.
6. Midi should work, MPC be a Master or slave.
The list goes in.
It will not happen.

I have long prepared to produce music without the MPC. When it first came l daid l would use only 30% of it, if that. Some clown comes in here trying to make me look bad cause l only use it at 30%. :WTF:
If that clown knew that l didn't need every aspect of it he wouldn't have said that.

At this moment l don't need it, the computer and the Daws l use have taken over. The future of the MPC in my setup looks bleek asf! :nod:
Reason 10 and Studio One 4.5 is off the chain. If l want to drum in drums l can use my keyboard or the LPD8. The things l have in each of those DAWs are sick a l wouldn't trade them in for no MPC standalone. Studio One 4.5 OMG! Presonus is killing it. No other DAW gives the headroom S1V4 gives. The chord chart can help you assign a chord if you don't know how to play is insane! In Reason there ate Refills that you can get with the exact same sounds e.g. the Kawai keyboard, Triton Rack, Virus Ti etc and don't have to spend thousands to buy. Its just great to be in this position.

The MPC is to weak in comparison , l have come to grips with this. I don't care what Dan or what any of those guys say, l stopped listening to them in 2017. When they say one thing and another thing happens l call it bulls**t.
Akai may do better if they made a bonified DAW.

People are spending their money on a product that should work. In my future the MPC will be something of the past. Great when it work and memories but reality is a mutha. When my MPC goes that's it. So l will enjoy it while l can.

Akai as a company better pick up and get on board. No other company is going that route cause they know the future is not with a standalone.
I have let go Avid and its crazy ways. I let go Apple/Mac, to expensive for no reason. I let go Waves products at one time but lm back with them because they wised up.

Im at the point to use good quality things with less headaches. A producer should be doing music not trying to figure out glitches!
By Bezo Mon May 20, 2019 1:12 pm
I too have a working MPC (other than a new issue not being able to close the internal AIR effects GUIs after updating to 2.5). But I agree. the Live just doesn't stack up. Even the software is not on par with other DAWs.

I probably use less than 30% as I only sequence on it. No magic or anything, but something about working with sequences helps me make better Hip Hop. Probably because I don't sample, working linearly in a DAW, my Hip Hop gets a bit "song-y", something a Hip Hop band would play.

But I may have to get over that soon. As much as I love the beat machine workflow, it's getting in the way. Getting from a sequenced track to a final mix is cumbersome as I have to get sequences over to Logic. I can't even do much sound designing in the MPC software due to it's limitations; no plugin delay compensation, no support for multi-output plugins, etc.

I'm not quite ready to dump it. I started a track last night that I just don't think I would've come up with starting in Logic. Not sure when I'll cut it off, maybe 3.0 as that should be a good indicator of where the MPC is going. But yeah, this thing could be MUCH better.

I would however buy the new MPC as you describe it, plus some updates to the DAW/software.
By BeatWilson Mon May 20, 2019 1:49 pm
I'm going to sound like an idiot but I do enjoy the mpc x still its just I only use it for basically hiphop. ik not making overly complex music these days. I started to make mad simple beats instead of what I used to make (glitch). so I dont mind the limitations for now. id even go for a 2500 with jjos right now and I'd be happy but id miss a couple main be features.

all I needed was jjos with controller mode, automation, side chain compression and more ppq's. adding some features they did to the new mpcs is gimmicky as ****. I just want it to do what the old ones did. yes I understand why you would leave the mpc world. once I'm done this album I might drop it too depending on these ext updates. maybe by January I'll decide. I have debating getting rid of it but then I think about computers and how I dont like larger the chance is to have issues with files in my songs disappearing or moving. I actually dont have this issue with the mpc. I havent had many of the issues others have had but also I think about the build quality and it does not seem quite there
By ontherun Mon May 20, 2019 1:59 pm
I think the problem is that Akai does rely on the SOM which provides the CPU and RAM.
They have connected all the pads and stuff via USB, which never can give you perfect timing.

If they did develop their own mainboard with real DSP and maybe a ARM CPU and RAM Socket,
we would be much better of.
I think in the current setup, it cant get 100% perfect.
Bymember04959388 Mon May 20, 2019 2:02 pm
I like my Mpc Live and I use it only in standalone.
I never thought to use it as a daw replacement or as a plugin in a daw because, since the first day I used it, I realised it's just not good at that.
If I had to use it this way, I would sell it and buy a top quality audio card and Reason 10.
But since I am having a lot of fun since I decided not to make music with computer anymore, I am really happy with my Mpc as an electronic instrument next to other hardware fx and samplers.
This way, Mpc became the central hub of my setup, it sounds very powerful, good effects, a good way of arranging in real time with track mutes and sequences and so on.
What I want to say is that Mpc shines as a musical instrument while it sucks as a daw replacement
By 40Beatz Mon May 20, 2019 2:27 pm
Ok Here's my .02
I have both the Live & X. I think Akai did exactly what they wanted to accomplish. Target the "Standalone" market. I don't think the New Akai is aiming to Replace Full Fledge DAWs with One Box. That's why they Upgraded the MPC Software. Don't get me wrong, Its not the most Powerful DAW out there, but you have VST support that will Take it to the Next Level. As far as the Standalones, MPCs have taken a Gigantic Leap from the previous models. Lots of people want Akai to make a 'DAW' in a Box. That's a challenging thing, to shrink down a Mac or a PC into a standalone box. The MPC is a Music Production Center(controller), NOT a Digital Audio Workstation. That's why they gave it Controller Mode. To access DAW like features.
Message to InMusic....Keep workin out the Kinks and you'll have the Most Power Standalone Unit on the Market!!!

Sorry if I Pissed a few guys off :worthy:
Bymember04959388 Mon May 20, 2019 2:52 pm
40Beatz wrote:Ok Here's my .02
I have both the Live & X. I think Akai did exactly what they wanted to accomplish. Target the "Standalone" market. I don't think the New Akai is aiming to Replace Full Fledge DAWs with One Box. That's why they Upgraded the MPC Software. Don't get me wrong, Its not the most Powerful DAW out there, but you have VST support that will Take it to the Next Level. As far as the Standalones, MPCs have taken a Gigantic Leap from the previous models. Lots of people want Akai to make a 'DAW' in a Box. That's a challenging thing, to shrink down a Mac or a PC into a standalone box. The MPC is a Music Production Center(controller), NOT a Digital Audio Workstation. That's why they gave it Controller Mode. To access DAW like features.
Message to InMusic....Keep workin out the Kinks and you'll have the Most Power Standalone Unit on the Market!!!

Yeah Inmusic and Akai should stop advertising Mpc as a daw in a box and focus more on making Mpc as a playable live instrument in performances, something that was called Groove box in the past.
An advanved groove box or an advanced sampler or just an electronic instrument.
So first they should focus on removing the glitches that happen sometimes when you switch from one mode to another (less then before but it's still there).
Then maybe implementing more performance oriented effects and features like a granulator for example, a better looper with more input possibilities and so on.
That's the standalone market you talk about.
Mpc is capable of that but implementing too many different features to catch different workflows can only add more bugs and confusion.
That's my humble opinion of course.
Marketing is something else.
By Bezo Mon May 20, 2019 3:34 pm

The problem with this is that many sample based producers are not happy with the sampling feature set. It falls short of what you could do with the 4K/Z8, for example.

Same for the MIDI implementation. It falls short, especially for a modern instrument.

And the software is looking like an after though. A DAW with no plugin delay comp? No multi-output plugin support? In 2019?

Personally, I'm digging it enough to rock with it for ow. The only comparable combo I can think of is Maschine, and the MPC has it beat IMO. The concept is perfect for a hybrid producer like myself, but it falls way short of what I expect in 2019.

Frisbi wrote:Yeah Inmusic and Akai should stop advertising Mpc as a daw in a box and focus more on making Mpc as a playable live instrument in performances, something that was called Groove box in the past.
So first they should focus on removing the glitches that happen sometimes when you switch from one mode to another (less then before but it's still there).
Then maybe implementing more performance oriented effects and features like a granulator for example, a better looper with more input possibilities and so on.
Mpc is capable of that but implementing too many different features to catch different workflows can only add more bugs and confusion.
What does that do for those of us that purchased it to use with the software?
Bymember04959388 Mon May 20, 2019 4:15 pm
Bezo wrote:

The problem with this is that many sample based producers are not happy with the sampling feature set. It falls short of what you could do with the 4K/Z8, for example.

Same for the MIDI implementation. It falls short, especially for a modern instrument.

And the software is looking like an after though. A DAW with no plugin delay comp? No multi-output plugin support? In 2019?

Personally, I'm digging it enough to rock with it for ow. The only comparable combo I can think of is Maschine, and the MPC has it beat IMO. The concept is perfect for a hybrid producer like myself, but it falls way short of what I expect in 2019.

Frisbi wrote:Yeah Inmusic and Akai should stop advertising Mpc as a daw in a box and focus more on making Mpc as a playable live instrument in performances, something that was called Groove box in the past.
What does that do for those of us that purchased it to use with the software?

Sell it and get Reason 10 with a controller.
Man, Reason is light years ahead compared to Mpc software.
By Bezo Mon May 20, 2019 4:23 pm
Frisbi wrote:Sell it and get Reason 10 with a controller.
I'm cool with Logic.

Hopefully Akai doesn't feel as you do.
By Unreallystic Mon May 20, 2019 4:39 pm
Ya'll's post makes me sad. I can't sum it up any better than that.

I've been fortunate, I had one issue out the box that was fixed with the first patch release, and have had smooth sailing since then with only one piece of content lost from crashing, and only having it crashed a total of two times on me.

I kind of want to throw the typical "what did you expect" shade that I throw, but that's not what this *situation* is. If you aren't happy with it *now*, I HIGHLY doubt you ever will be happy with it. Even a MPC Live 2.0 with super beefed up specs won't compare to a fully fleshed out DAW. Its simply not realistic to compare a hardware iteration to software package that doesn't HAVE to worry about the hardware aspect, can be modified easier and more frequently, at less cost, and with less headaches. Integration of VSTs and the ilk into a software based DAW is so much easier than trying to make sure they not only work, but have the available horsepower - in a hardware based piece of equipment. So, dead ass, if it doesn't work for you now, it won't work for you in the future.

for me, it is what it is. My expectations were slightly different than most, and they have been met. The Live was never meant to be a center-piece of my studio, I have Push 2 + Ableton 9 + Komplete + tons of outboard gear, it was never going to compete. The MPC for me was to be a different workflow, with more energy than I get when working with Ableton, and portable. I don't currently have a Laptop, and while the cost of a new MPC Live lines up with a laptop, being restricted to just working on music is a big plus for someone like me who gets easily distracted.

My biggest issue is transference and polish. I never really want to "come back" to work on a song, so anything I do in standalone will typically stay there, so despite working with the MPC for what two years now, you won't find much of anything by me floating on the internet, let alone with the MPC. However that is a "me" issue, and not something I would throw on Akai or the equipment, I simply revel in the 85% of song making, and not the final 15%.

I hope ya'll get what ya'll want out of any further gear you get. Truly do. Good luck.
- Unreall
By Danoc Mon May 20, 2019 4:41 pm
I don't see you pi***ing off anyone. You stated your peace.

Its not to cram DAW or computer status in a machine but rather get the glitches out for a better machine. I love my MPC Live, lm just saying don't look for that all in all MPC to come in the future.

In standalone mode there should've been more than 8 audio tracks.. The concept of someone saying "use the software " is redundant. If Akai put mic inputs on the machine and they are really decent people are going to want to do vocals plus music. You gotta admit it should somewhat be computer base and DAW base to give it an edge over everything else. Not to replace a DAW. I know we can deal with that. If you're working with an artist etc it will most likely end up in Protools. So if guys are looking for a complete standalone machine DAW they can forget it.

Akai isn't heading in the direction of a new machine is all lm saying. And if my MPC died today l wouldn't buy another one. Basically people its the end of the road for the MPC.

By Danoc Mon May 20, 2019 5:05 pm
:worthy: Couldn't have said it better. Reason is one of the top 5 DAWs in the world. Even tuaght in schools!

If guys wanna rock software l recommend R10 too. It takes VSTS , ot has dely compensation , not bad on the CPU, routing system is the best nothung can touch it. It has refills that look pike the actual hardware and the exact same sounds from the original keyboards. No DAW out here is doing that. And l can go on.
The sequencer is on point and can handle any music genre you throw at it. Only thing its miss is markers lol lile that stands in my way lol

People have the right to chose what DAW works for them. Im just saying l would recommend R10, its the next best thing to the MPC and then some.

Frisbi wrote:
Bezo wrote:Sell it and get Reason 10 with a controller.
By Danoc Mon May 20, 2019 5:14 pm
LOL if you did throw that shade we would of said "We ec
Expected it to work and the things they advertised"!
:lol:

Unreallystic wrote:I kind of want to throw the typical "what did you expect" shade that I throw, but that's not what this *situation* is.
By Eyalc Mon May 20, 2019 5:42 pm
IMO the problem is that back in the day the traditional DAWs knew what the MPC could do. They watched the 60, 3000, 2000... And they started to implement those features in their products. When Akai sold to InMusic, it slowed down their innovation and development, and those DAWs caught up, and then surpassed them. I always argue, I could do the same exact things in Logic that I can do in an MPC. I just PREFER the MPC workflow more, so I use it when it makes sense. But take the MPC away from me, and I could still produce the same quality of music. And that's become the primary challenge for Akai now - their products aren't "sticky" anymore.

When the MPC was dominant you couldn't do what they do with anything else. They were "sticky". Now, I can do the same things that an MPC can do (and even more), in any number of products. Back in the day their products were almost mandatory. Now they're just a preference. @danoc is stating that - for him (and me), the MPC is a preference, and without it, he'd still produce the same music, with the same sound, the same feel... nothing changes in the final product. And that's a problem for Akai. That's the difference between Akai then vs Akai now. Back then I needed an MPC, now it's just cool to have.

If I'm Akai, bail on this DAW nonsense and focus on making it an instrument that does things that I can't do in my DAW. That will make it sticky again. Akai is chasing the DAWs right now, trying to make the MPC do something it wasn't designed to do. Thus, keeping it solidly rooted in the "preference" world. Too many DAWs with YEARS of development behind them. Never going to catch them.

I don't have any issues with my MPC. Never have, other than small bugs here and there. Do I wish it was more? Absolutely. Do I think it will become more? Absolutely not. It is what it is, and I'm good with it. I just don't see Akai "winning" with their current focus.