MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By K. Rah Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:12 am
Hi guys,

I’m a proud owner of the live, thinking about purchasing an X as well....

Any immediate things come to mind in terms of practical advantages of the X? I like the transport controls and q link programming, dedicated buttons, etc.... compatibility between the two units.

I also own an old, weathered 2500, been using to bounce stereo tracks. I prefer the xfade on the Jo’s over the live update...

A bit vague I know.. just thought since I am an mpc guy I might as well splurge on the best (or not) Thoughts appreciated.
-kel
By BeatWilson Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:04 pm
reasons to keep your 2500.
- jjos is dope
- you can import your projects into the mpc software and keep using the mpc 2500.
- great machine regarding workflow(id say better than the x possibly here)

reasons for the X over the 2500
- the usb midi integration.
- wanting to used the new mpc OS over the JJOS
- sidechain compression
- a little more of a full sound from the X than the 2500
- CV in and out
- Phantom Power

reasons for the X over the live
- obviously dedicated controls to speed up workflow
- CV in and out
- Phantom Power

I didnt like the screen and the qlinks being on the right. it bothered me a bit.
By Unreallystic Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:11 pm
I finally got to spend some time on an X this past weekend, not a very long time, but a little bit of time.

Within (5) minutes I wanted to go back to the Live. I wanted the dedicated button, and I do like the Q-Links on the X, but I felt so much FASTER on the Live, the fewer buttons means that after a while you just learn to do things quicker with fewer hand movements. Obvious one, on the Live I can turn the big knob and push it in to *do anything*, on the X, I turned the knob, then had to reach down to actually press something. Super small thing, but it was annoying as hell and ultimately the design of the Live while surface level not as accessible as the X, felt quicker.

I'm sure someone with an X will have examples to trump mine, but it was almost icky to me trying out the X (and its something I wanted up until Saturday). The screen is larger on the X, but frankly, because of the sheer size of the X - the distance between yourself and the screen is larger, thus it doesn't "feel" like a bigger screen. The pads are the same size, etc. The X feels like an oversized and almost clunky version of the Live with better I/O.

I was VERY disappointed. My ideal next gen MPC really is just the Live with OLEDs under each Q-Link, I no longer yearn for the extras of the X.
- Unreall
By K. Rah Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:33 pm
Great responses guys, thanks. I think I’ll keep the 2500 going... the xfade and loop/hold functions are great, and it should be fun updating the jj, the last update I got was pretty old. Peace
By MPCWeapon1 Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:36 pm
The Live is dope.

I prefer the X because the 16 Qlinks give me total control of the plugins settings, total control over the modulation matrix, pad mixer/parameters, and the main screen parameter no matter what screen that I'm on, and the Q links have little mini displays on them so you can see the values and levels when twisting the knobs.

The MPC 3000 type feel of the transport controls and jog wheel.

Easier to draw in notes and use the step sequencer with the screen size.

The control that you have over the input signal with the switches and knobs.

IMHO, If you like the Live then you'll love The X. Just my humble opinion though.
By QuickStrike Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:44 am
keep your MPC 2500 by and bu MBC touch if using pc. If on mac by mpc studio. once you master the MPC touch or live upgrade to the MPC live.

the workfor is a lot slower than the MPC2500 going when switch over to the new models.

Like someone said in the past post. the MPCx is not optimized for workflow it's just put together to look nice.
By BeatWilson Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:54 am
if you like tracking out into an audio interface then yes the 2500. if you like the live for portable then yeah I get you. but in no way do i feel that the live is faster than the x. i feel the x is loads faster but because of the dedicated buttons. I personally do not like qlinks on the right and menu diving. those are pet peeves of mine. but I also got my x for the price of a live so I'm not complaining.
By MPCWeapon1 Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:12 am
K Rah, make up your own mind. If you Buy The X, just make sure you cop it from a place where you can return it
And if you don’t like it simply return it. Don’t listen to anybody.
I had the 3000, 2000XL, 4000, Ren, Touch, Live, 1000, 2500, and studio. IMHO the 4K is the best , but The X is my favorite. The Live used to be my favorite.

Just Look at EA Ski’s Instagram. He knows gear. He has a 60, SP, 4000, Live , Maschine. and just look at what he always is making beats on.....It seems like he mostly is making beats on The X no matter what he’s says about it’s sonics. If The X workflow isn’t good why does a platinum producer with so many gear options always make beats on it?

You gotta make up your own mind. If you have an itch to buy it, don’t let nobody deter you.
By Unreallystic Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:46 pm
MPCWeapon1 wrote:If The X workflow isn’t good why does a platinum producer with so many gear options always make beats on it?

I don't think anyone - including myself - is saying the X has a bad workflow. Its just not as well thought out as the Live in terms of efficiency. Not to the extreme of when Homer got to build his own car and had like 20 something horns on it, but that's the mental image I get when thinking about my time with it this weekend. As a synth guy I LOVE dedicated controls, I hate menu-diving - despite the price drop and how well it will fit into my studio, I refuse to give the Roland JD-Xi a solid look, because of how much menu diving is required to not just use presets...so I was EXCITED when I finally got to use the X after a couple of years with the Live.

I was just shocked at how sluggish it "felt" compared to the Live, because it had dedicated controls. I was expecting to "Zoom Zoom Zoom", but found myself not just wasting time trying to find stuff (something that would erode with use), but feeling like I was going all over the place TO do something. It was extra movements, absolutely nothing extreme, just enough for it to lose the shiny luster it had before I got to use it. Even the Q-links in actual use didn't speed things up really, it was great having access to all 16 at once, but after some time with the Live, the majority of Q-link interface starts to get memorized, and I've just gotten used to doing ALL the control work with my right hand, and reaching over to use the Q-Links on the left just felt "wrong".

Then I frankly was disappointed with the real life size of the screen. Its not bad, and I'm not saying anything negative about it (I'm really not), only that the extra size didn't actually improve the quality of life - due to being further away than on the Live.

So "for me" if I'm looking between the Live and the X, the Live is a better buy, even at the SAME price because the Live can go portable. That changes depending on your I/O needs as that's the biggest plus for the X in execution to me.

But do NOT take it as a truly negative comment about the X, more of a positive comment for the Live, and I'm SURE that someone with both will have examples of something that executes better on the X, so I'm not poo-pooing it.
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:01 pm
K. Rah wrote:Hi guys,

I’m a proud owner of the live, thinking about purchasing an X as well....

Any immediate things come to mind in terms of practical advantages of the X? I like the transport controls and q link programming, dedicated buttons, etc.... compatibility between the two units.

I also own an old, weathered 2500, been using to bounce stereo tracks. I prefer the xfade on the Jo’s over the live update...

A bit vague I know.. just thought since I am an mpc guy I might as well splurge on the best (or not) Thoughts appreciated.
-kel

Perhaps use the money and buy something that will improve and expand your setup. A better audio interface, a quality MIDI keyboard, a better computer, Audio Mixer, new Audio Cables, preamps, compressors, power conditioners, better audio monitors.

These things will make an instant impact on your music. You have a Live and 2500, what will buying an X actually do for you? Look at your setup and ask yourself, what is the weakest link in my chain. Then research your options and budget and replace or add.

You can't form VOLTRON, if you keep buying different versions of the RED LION. :lol:
By Unreallystic Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:25 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:You can't form VOLTRON, if you keep buying different versions of the RED LION. :lol:

You couldn't tell 5 year old me that... :lol: (like the metaphor though) I'd use rubberbands, KNex, Legos, and real screws to make that work. All red...call'em "Boltron Befender of the Buniverse" :Sigh:

By the way your point is good, if you have the money to invest, it is most likely better spent elsewhere, and I say that as the guy who was going to do EXACTLY what you are talking about doing, I thought that by buying the X, something would "improve", nah - not really. Heck, even my Force has been laying there dormant (that will change in July, but I'm focused on my Christmas album, not live performing - right now). Find the weakest link(s) and improve those.
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:40 pm
Unreallystic wrote:You couldn't tell 5 year old me that... :lol: (like the metaphor though) I'd use rubberbands, KNex, Legos, and real screws to make that work. All red...call'em "Boltron Befender of the Buniverse" :Sigh:

By the way your point is good, if you have the money to invest, it is most likely better spent elsewhere, and I say that as the guy who was going to do EXACTLY what you are talking about doing, I thought that by buying the X, something would "improve", nah - not really. Heck, even my Force has been laying there dormant (that will change in July, but I'm focused on my Christmas album, not live performing - right now). Find the weakest link(s) and improve those.
- Unreall

Yes, its all about building the best system we can afford. Even if it's rubber-bands, screws, LEGO and Knex. I'm in my dual microphones and stereo pre-amp stage. (The closest serial numbers as possible.) :lol:
By BeatWilson Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:34 pm
ok ok.... someone said the q links on the x didnt speed up your process... rethink what you said. with the live you can zoom in 3 different speeds with the q links and not even adjust the start or end of the sample at the same time. that's why the x is faster with its q links. its call 2 hands not 1. I **** hated the q links on the live. i literally told my friends how much i hated its design frequently when I had it l. like still... the screen on the right? wtf. and the q links on the right? like why cant I zoom in and adjust another setting at the same time. the live maps all the q links to a single function at different values. I see that being slow asf I dont know about you.

the live felt like a toy and also I felt like I was pushing oldschool maschine buttons when I was pushing play and record. I felt like I could sink a button down and get it lost almost. one of the main reasons I hated maschine 1. I dont care about screens. i could go back to a dos looking screen. work flow wise the x is good. not like jjos but it's good. the live... it's just not for me.. I drum with both hands on pads. if I go one handed with drums(with every sample on a different pad) I use my right hand. if I adjust I use my left. if your a left handed finger drummer than the live is for you

i would never buy a force. not into gear with a billion lighting up buttons.... :Sigh:
By Unreallystic Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:50 pm
BeatWilson wrote:ok ok.... someone said the q links on the x didnt speed up your process... rethink what you said. with the live you can zoom in 3 different speeds with the q links and not even adjust the start or end of the sample at the same time. that's why the x is faster with its q links. its call 2 hands not 1. I **** hated the q links on the live. i literally told my friends how much i hated its design frequently when I had it l. like still... the screen on the right? wtf. and the q links on the right? like why cant I zoom in and adjust another setting at the same time. the live maps all the q links to a single function at different values. I see that being slow asf I dont know about you.
Comes down to comfort level and style, being able to do everything from one hand is what I'm used to, when changing settings on synths I play with my left and tune with my right - and that's not unique. The Live pretty much falls right in line with that - play with a mix of left/right and tune/adjust with just right. The same way you champion being able to twist two at once, I champion getting the same effect with one hand, not having to crossover myself in order to do it. I would have liked the X more had the Links been on the right (which is interesting to me, because before I had the Live, I felt the layout was terrible - similar to what you are speaking on, but actual use has shown me otherwise). The time saved using two hands - is time lost - moving your hands to work together.

To me, the biggest advantage of the X setup is the lack of need to memorize stuff like the Q-links - VERY handy when working synths/FX, but memorization comes naturally with the base functions/navigation. With that said, the setup of the Live has actually driven me *naturally* in a slightly different workflow direction - I gravitate towards using the touchscreen & large knob for anything that isn't "zooming" or moving "start/end". The location of the X's screen actually reduced my urge to use it - again, the whole "hand distance traveled" thing...I felt driven to the Q-links and various button controls (which is why they are there - not a shot), but I've come to feel at home and faster using the touchscreen + large knob for adjustments and Q-links for position/zooming. *shrug*
- Unreall