MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By nickg2 Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:05 pm
Hello to all. Glad this forum is here. Sorry for the lengthy first post, but hopefully someone can help me before I go off the deep end.

Got my MPC LIVE about 2 months ago. One of my main reasons for buying the MPC LIVE is to sequence backing percussion tracks to accompany my live drumming with my band (cowbell, hand claps, tambourine, etc., very simple stuff).

I go into "Project/Sequence" mode and record all of my parts (Click, Intro, Verse, Chorus, etc.). Then I go to "Song Mode" and put the song together. Then I save all of my songs (Song 1, Song 2, etc.) to a Set List or Folder.

Now where the unit seems to be failing me is that I should be able to go into my Set List/Folder, scroll thru the list to any song, load that song, hit "Play/Start" and have that WHOLE song/backing tracks play from start to finish just as I put it together in "Song Mode".

But I don't see that happening. If I load a song it will just play the first sequence as shown on the Main Screen.

My 30+ years old Roland MC500 Seqencer with my Roland R8 drum machine did just that for me with no problem.

This is 2019, not 1989 technology!! It should be very easy to Scroll/Load/Play in just a few clicks.
Please explain what I am missing, if anything, or if this is a major shortcoming of the unit. If it's a fault of the machine AKAI engineers better go back to the drawing board and figure out how to remedy that. Not everyone is tapping pads to a hip-hop loop and samples.

A machine called "LIVE" should allow me to do just that....play along with it LIVE!!

Thanks in advance...any and all help is appreciated. :worthy:
By nickg2 Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:08 pm
Charles...I've had people suggest that option, but was also told that if you convert to a sequence then the next sequences saved as a "song" will be affected as far as note/sound/sample/tuning/etc., accordingly

Meaning that Song/Sequence one may have hand claps and cowbell where as saving Song/Sequence two will NOT keep/maintain the same tuning/notes/parameters as the previous saved Song/Sequence.

So unless you're saving the EXACT SAME sequence parameters (sounds/samples/tuning, etc.) for each Song, you're pretty much screwed going from Sequence to Sequence.
By wavejockey Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:05 am
that is only a problem if you change those parameters in between (making) those songs, but that issue will also rise when you change those parameters and just play different songs (in one project)
if you convert (song) to seq be wary of track order ; during conversion, only the programs of seq1 will be used to convert al subsequent sequences to that one converted 'song' sequence : eg: if on seq1 BD is on track1, but on seq2, SD is on track1, the converted sequence will play track one with a BD (sound)

but i agree song mode could use a boost and some workflow enhancements etc
haven't tried what you described, but sounds very simple operation and should be standard functionality, like playing a MIDI file (song player)
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:19 am
nickg2 wrote:Now where the unit seems to be failing me is that I should be able to go into my Set List/Folder, scroll thru the list to any song, load that song, hit "Play/Start" and have that WHOLE song/backing tracks play from start to finish just as I put it together in "Song Mode".

But I don't see that happening. If I load a song it will just play the first sequence as shown on the Main Screen.

Song mode (i.e. MENU > SONG MODE) works as you expect it to, you select a song hit play start and it will play through the previously prepared 'playlist' of sequences. I've not seen any instance of this not happening. Please explain step by step exactly what you are doing. Please also confirm which firmware you have (MENU > PREFERENCES)
By nickg2 Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:17 am
Hello MPC Tutor. I'm running firmware 2.5. Let's see if I can explain this a little differently.

1) I go to the Main Screen in Project mode and record all of my Parts/Sequences/Tracks for Song One.
2) I then go into Song Mode and put all of my Sequences in order to become my "Song".
3) I then Save my Song.
4) I do the same for Song Two, Three, Four, Etc.

Now after ALL those songs are saved, where then do I go to find them laid out in a lost/folder in "Song Mode" just as I saved them? (Let's say I saved them internally for now, though I do want them saved on my SD Card or an SSD eventually).

I want to be able to:
A) find those songs in some list/folder wherever they are saved/stored
B) scroll to whatever tune I want to open up (Song Three, then One, then Four, then Two, etc.).
C) hit "Load"
D) and then see that Song loaded up, ready for me to hit "Play/Start" to play along to as my live backing percussion parts.

....no tapping pads, tweaking Q-Link knobs, filtering thru XYFX during a performance.....just playing live drums along with my sequenced percussion parts. If I wanted to tap pads live I could get any cheap drum machine to do that.

There is no reason why that should not be possible on a machine that calls itself "LIVE" if it doesn't give you that capability, especially with today's technology.

I will use the unit for composing full songs as well with my keyboard controller and the great on-board sounds it has, but not being able to use it at this point as described above is VERY FRUSTRATING since that was a big reason for picking up the LIVE with it's sequencing abilities.

Thanks.
By Cockdiesel Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:12 am
export your song's to the sd card in a dedicated folder. Works best when you convert the song to sequence, explode the tracks and then export as audio mixdown. It saves all your stems, midi data, etc. You can even export to mp3 and wav at that time to get a rough version of the song before you mix in the computer or maybe it will sound good enough to where you would have your finished product at that point.