MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Reyhova Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:42 am
Ive seen the progression with Akai. And I am pleased. I love the mpc series of gear. Whats the best? I know better not to answer that question. What I want to know with the community is, Who's made a song with what gear from start to finish? Vocals being the main point of emphasis. I don't want to dump vocals in pro tools to mix. I work off a apollo twin. I don't want to know can it be done, I just want to know if I'm limiting myself by only using Mpc software.
By Eyalc Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:31 pm
Reyhova wrote:I'm limiting myself by only using Mpc software.

In general, this ^^^

But you have to be careful asking the question this way. Some people need basic vocal recording - lead, plus maybe a couple doubles. It's certainly possible to do this in the MPC software.

Others though, need comping, timing / pitch correction and other advanced editing capabilities. Can't do those things in the MPC software.

So some people will say it can be done. Others will say it can't.

I've used the MPC software in a LOT of my work, but it's never 100%. It's impossible to do the things I need / want to do without a DAW. But you'll just get a bunch of varying opinions on a board like this - which is good - but it won't get you any closer to your decision until you try it yourself. That's what I did - tried to make a complete production in the MPC, and quickly realized that it's just not built for what I need it to do.
Bymember04959388 Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:53 pm
The software is nothing special, if you want it for that, there are much better options out there.
It makes sense if you want to use it standalone and get rid of computer.
This way is a very funny device.
Personally I use it with other external gears and record all through a firewire mixer
By Bezo Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:40 pm
Eyalc wrote:
Reyhova wrote:I'm limiting myself by only using Mpc software.

In general, this ^^^

But you have to be careful asking the question this way. Some people need basic vocal recording - lead, plus maybe a couple doubles. It's certainly possible to do this in the MPC software.

Others though, need comping, timing / pitch correction and other advanced editing capabilities. Can't do those things in the MPC software.

So some people will say it can be done. Others will say it can't.

I've used the MPC software in a LOT of my work, but it's never 100%. It's impossible to do the things I need / want to do without a DAW. But you'll just get a bunch of varying opinions on a board like this - which is good - but it won't get you any closer to your decision until you try it yourself. That's what I did - tried to make a complete production in the MPC, and quickly realized that it's just not built for what I need it to do.
2nd-ed. I have heard and do not doubt folks can accomplish a complete production in/on just the MPC.

I couldn't. Lack of plugin delay compensation is the biggest hurdle as it doesn't allow me to mix with my tools.
By renegadebliss Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:31 pm
Bezo wrote:
I couldn't. Lack of plugin delay compensation is the biggest hurdle as it doesn't allow me to mix with my tools.

If he's doing it all in the box, there's no plugin delay compensation issue at all. That would only be if you were using the MPC Software on a computer. The plugins included with the standalone do not need delay compensation...
By Bezo Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:38 pm
renegadebliss wrote:
Bezo wrote:

If he's doing it all in the box, there's no plugin delay compensation issue at all. That would only be if you were using the MPC Software on a computer. The plugins included with the standalone do not need delay compensation...
I was speaking for myself (my tools), and acknowledged that someone could accomplish a complete production on the MPC.
By Eyalc Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:50 pm
renegadebliss wrote:
Bezo wrote:

OP is wondering if he / she is limited only using the MPC software. So Bezo's advice was good. If OP relies on 3rd party plugins, a complete production won't be possible without PDC.
By Cockdiesel Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:05 am
I really prefer working standalone and controlling my computer. The software really doesn't add much to the work flow for me. I really prefer to export my project stems and load them into ableton to mix. Doesn't get much easier or better for me. You could get reaper which is either free or extremely cheap to run your VST.

I prefer to just kick back with some headphones and do most of my work like on my back porch or on the couch. Maybe not all in one but 75-90% percent of the way depending on how you can work. The new air effects can really shape a sound, very little touch up on the comp, really just mixing, fine tune eq and dynamics on the computer. It takes awhile to get a hang out tracking stuff out, but I really like that I can track stuff into my live.

If there is a Guitar center around you and give the work flow a try they may even have a computer set-up so you can see how a hybrid setup works.
By Lampdog Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:36 am
Reyhova wrote:I just want to know if I'm limiting myself by only using Mpc software.

Yes u r
By Reyhova Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:45 am
Thanks everyone! I use the MPC Touch with the Apollo twin. This is great feedback and I am truly greatfull for your knowledge. I love the arrangement window in Ableton, but I’m truly an mpc head. But the first response is right...you just got to try it yourself. God bless.
By cresshead Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:42 pm
I'd love to see a firmware update for the MPC that adds pitch correction for vocals, that would be a real boost in production with the MPC.
I see Roland's Verselab MV-1 has pitch correction, harmonies and a doubler vocal processing block.

Currently i use my Roland JDXI into the looper section of the MPC One when recording but have to use the jdxi's mic which is not ideal for main vocals. It's okay when using the vocoder in the jdxi but more challenging on main vocal also the autotune/pitch correction effect in the jdxi is rather basic.

Example song using MPC One plus Roland JDXI for pitch correction/vocoder: