MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Scott Righteous Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:20 am
This is something that I've never really had to deal with using other hardware samplers. When you load a program, if a sample name is used by an existing sample in the pool, it will over-write that sample with the new one.

Not having two samples with the same name in the same program makes sense. I guess I think of a program as a folder. But the MPC Live has a global sample pool.

Other gear will simply load the sample with a number appended to it, so that it's not overwriting an existing sample.

What is the best way to handle this with the MPC? There is no indication of what sample you need to worry about - and if you have 10 programs loaded, who knows? Is is "kick23" ?
By Caustic Yoda Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:16 am
yep ive found this is a major show stopper also, on old mpcs it would ask you to rename the files at least, on these it just doesnt work, only way is to open your song and eg ad name of the song or a couple of letters to the end of each sample name to stop it getting confused, would be something that needs fixing for sure
By 40Beatz Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:07 pm
That's because the Programs are Loaded from the Sample Pool. The Sample Pool is just like One Big Sample Folder. I give my Kicks Certain Names instead of "Kick1" "Kick2". That helps me distinguish different kicks.
By Lampdog Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:44 pm
40Beatz wrote:That's because the Programs are Loaded from the Sample Pool. The Sample Pool is just like One Big Sample Folder. I give my Kicks Certain Names instead of "Kick1" "Kick2". That helps me distinguish different kicks.

Been this for years and YES, this works.

ckrenamer, any other batch file renamer will work as well.
By Scott Righteous Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:36 pm
Yeah, for kits I'm making now, I've been append letters to the samples. But it's a crappy system, as I could easily load an old kit, or a kit someone else made that uses the same name.

Drum samples tend to have similar names. I have 20+ years of sample libraries, and other samplers let me mix and match no problem.

If they had one pool per program, it would be no problem. But I think changes to the core MPC methodology are not high on their list of improvements.
By Lampdog Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:38 am
Folders are on storage/media only.

Internal memory is RAM.