MPC X & MPC Live Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X & MPC Live, Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By theabstract Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:11 pm
Yes, I am happy with it (MPC Live). It's not worth the price to me, but I kinda knew that going in (in Canada, it's much more expensive than in the US). So for me, it's a luxury.
If I had one piece of gear, it would be a PC with FL Studio, with a keyboard.

Hopefully AKAI keeps the updates coming making the standalone product a bit more comparable to a DAW.

That's my 2 cents.
By optik415 Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:05 pm
I'm considering switching to Ableton to be honest. I'm not all the way happy with the music I've been making on my Live lately. I need something new and fresh! I've been a MPC user for over 10 years. I can't even use the software without something going wrong and standalone is too limited for me. Just my 2 cents. I'll keep my 1000 but might sell my live and get push 3 in the future
By Unreallystic Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:25 pm
optik415 wrote:I'm considering switching to Ableton to be honest. I'm not all the way happy with the music I've been making on my Live lately. I need something new and fresh! I've been a MPC user for over 10 years. I can't even use the software without something going wrong and standalone is too limited for me. Just my 2 cents. I'll keep my 1000 but might sell my live and get push 3 in the future

I've been on a MPC break the past 1-2 months as I lost my power cord (found it this weekend YAY), I don't even have it patched heh. During the break I've gone BACK to Ableton and picked up FL Studio & Komplete.

It's become an eye-opening experieince. One one hand, I can laydown song ideas, and sculpt loops super fast on the MPC, on the other hand, I can build songs, and just have a much wider selection of sounds to use via DAWs. I also find that as I get aclimated to FL Studio (I haven't used it since it went by Fruity Loops and people were still like "OMG 9th Wonder uses it!") that my "sound" and feeling - has transferred well and isn't suffering.

I don't want to part with my Live, but I'm struggling to want to go back to it now that I have a laptop + akai fire. Maybe when I get back into sampling I'll get more excited to use the Live, but I feel like any song I try to make on the MPC Live in standalone, I have to do twice, I have to explode it and transfer it to Ableton to mix it down or apply more FX, but in FL/Ableton, I can do it right then and there. It's just become a losing battle of practicality, the MPC is super portable and quick, but if yo ualready have the tools so that cost isn't a driver, the DAW options just seem better.
- Unreall
By Bezo Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:54 pm
I've recently realized that I dig the Live. It's the software I dislike.

Not the standalone type, but I'm figuring out how to couple that with Logic now. I may need to dig my pre-amp out of the closet as I now need 2 audio inputs I don't have.

Might need that MIDI interface too as I miss my 3 synths.