MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By 40Beatz Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:44 pm
optik415 wrote:
40Beatz wrote:They Way I have my Standalone setup...I can control my VSTi channels in FL from the X. True indeed...if I wanna take the finished sounds with me, I have to either bounce it to an Audio Track or Sample/Chop it up into a Track on the X. But if you think about it...You have to render your VST Tracks with the MPC Software anyways, if you wanna work with it in Standalone.

I just MIDI Control Multiple VST channels in FL. I have to option to either leave all the sounds & Presets in FL or Export it out to the X. I just save the FL "Song" to a Folder/File name the same as whats on the X. Boom! I just load them back up, and the Track is there

This is what I wanna do with my MPC1000 and FL Studio. I'm currently backing up and reformating my computer and then I'll purchase FL. Once all that is done I'm gonna holler at you.

No Doubt Bruh!
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:24 pm
Danoc wrote:lm happpy with my live and the functions it has. Love the new Air efxs also.
Don't know why guys have so much in their chain either. That's their right.

When working with outboard gear, I try to only have one A/D to D/A conversion and that's usually at the end of the chain. In an ideal world. I want separate compression and eq for every channel I have. In the analog world, that's going to cost, if we want quality. $1000 US per channel with 24 channels is 24K.

As you know In the Digital world, it's less expensive. Except we need more computing power. Being able to do, this is one of the things, I like about the new MPC's.
By Bezo Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:46 pm
Eyalc wrote:I really like mine. But honestly I’m using it less and less these days. Some of it due to song complexity - it’s just easier to use Logic Pro X for me. And some of it due to the need to produce complete songs, vocals, live instruments, etc. Just easier to start and end in a DAW.

Still use it a bit, but I find sooner in my process I’m transitioning to the DAW to do the heavy composition work.

Still love the MPC workflow though.
Yup! My answer, finally, was to sequence on the Live, now without its software, and slave to Logic, triggering VSTs there. This way, there's nothing to export. Working great so far.

CharlesRandolph wrote:
Eyalc wrote:I really like mine. But honestly I’m using it less and less these days. Some of it due to song complexity - it’s just easier to use Logic Pro X for me. And some of it due to the need to produce complete songs, vocals, live instruments, etc. Just easier to start and end in a DAW.

Still use it a bit, but I find sooner in my process I’m transitioning to the DAW to do the heavy composition work.

It's definitely an ebb and flow situation. The MPC workflow is nice, however it can leave the music feeling unnaturally on time. No matter the swing settings. Software DAW productions really favors, linear compositions. The push and pull of the music, the on beat off beat of the solo. Also the ability to capture subtle nuances of the instrument and the ability to shape the sound stage.
Funny, what I dig about the MPC are the sequences, at least for my Hip Hop. Working in a DAW sometimes influences me to make very "songy" Hip Hop; something The Roots might do nowadays. Cool when I'm going for that, but most of the time I'm not. The sequence workflow curbs that a bit.

And it doesn't seem to have a negative effect on non-electronic stuff that I do. I'm finally getting settled with my new setup, but I haven't decided if I'll continue to use the MPC R&B, Reggae, etc.

The one thing I hate thought is grabbing individual notes on the grid. Having to zoom in sometimes to grab is a PITA.
By Eyalc Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:01 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:

It's definitely an ebb and flow situation. The MPC workflow is nice, however it can leave the music feeling unnaturally on time. No matter the swing settings. Software DAW productions really favors, linear compositions. The push and pull of the music, the on beat off beat of the solo. Also the ability to capture subtle nuances of the instrument and the ability to shape the sound stage.

Yeah, what he said... ^^^
By Monotremata Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:29 pm
Bezo wrote:The one thing I hate thought is grabbing individual notes on the grid. Having to zoom in sometimes to grab is a PITA.

Ooooh my favorite is when you grab one to move it left or right and it jumps all the way down to C-129879 and you get to scroll all the way back up to where you were holding the mouse button hoping it slows down enough to get to the note you want!
By Bezo Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:23 pm
Monotremata wrote:
Bezo wrote:The one thing I hate thought is grabbing individual notes on the grid. Having to zoom in sometimes to grab is a PITA.

Ooooh my favorite is when you grab one to move it left or right and it jumps all the way down to C-129879 and you get to scroll all the way back up to where you were holding the mouse button hoping it slows down enough to get to the note you want!
Ha! Yeah, the screen is either not sensitive enough or too damn sensitive.

That reminds me of another pet peeve. I wish the grid would stay focused either where I left it or automatically on the recorded notes showing the full sequence. Going from a 4-bar to an 8-bar sequence always shows just 4 bars of the 8-bar sequence.

Similarly, I wish the track screen would stay scrolled where I left it.

Minor stuff, but PITA nonetheless.
By Danoc Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:29 pm
Ren is the "MPC RENAISSANCE".

Peace

f1rst_born wrote:
dryad-66 wrote:Ive just recieved a Ren and using it with 2.5 software.Much prefer it to live/x.Prefere the sound of it..

Hey, what's a Ren?
By Monotremata Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:49 pm
Bezo wrote:That reminds me of another pet peeve. I wish the grid would stay focused either where I left it or automatically on the recorded notes showing the full sequence. Going from a 4-bar to an 8-bar sequence always shows just 4 bars of the 8-bar sequence.

Hah I missed your reply!! I submitted that to em awhile about the zoom settings. I like to look at my whole sequence most of the time. So if I zoom a 16 bar sequence to fit in the window, and then go to say an 8 bar one, it stays zoomed in so the 8 bar fits the window just fine, but the minute you go back to a bigger sequence, its set to whatever the smallest one you just looked at was and you have to redo it all over again. Not a biggie yeah but still it irks me every time hah.
By Bezo Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:51 pm
Monotremata wrote:
Bezo wrote:That reminds me of another pet peeve. I wish the grid would stay focused either where I left it or automatically on the recorded notes showing the full sequence. Going from a 4-bar to an 8-bar sequence always shows just 4 bars of the 8-bar sequence.

Hah I missed your reply!! I submitted that to em awhile about the zoom settings. I like to look at my whole sequence most of the time. So if I zoom a 16 bar sequence to fit in the window, and then go to say an 8 bar one, it stays zoomed in so the 8 bar fits the window just fine, but the minute you go back to a bigger sequence, its set to whatever the smallest one you just looked at was and you have to redo it all over again. Not a biggie yeah but still it irks me every time hah.
There are a few additional features I'd like to see in both the hard & software. But I'm settling in and would be just as happy with some basic workflow updates like these - maintain the aesthetics of my views (during and when reopening a project), modernize the editing & MIDI import, add the remaining software functions not yet accessible from the hardware (Merge Programs for example), etc.

There are just more modern, efficient ways to do things since the last time this stuff was updated.
By Monotremata Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:27 pm
What the hell does Merge Programs do anyways?? Ive been afraid to try it and too lazy to look it up haha.

I sent in a big list this weekend in regards to the audio/midi settings and stuff not being saved on a per song basis similar to how Logic does it. Say I fire up the MPC Software late at night and can't turn on all my gear and just want to make some drum kits or arrange something, etc.. I get the message to select a new audio device, and on top of that have to reset the sample rate and latency settings. It also drops all the MIDI setup for what it sends clock too. Next time I open it with all of my stuff turned on ready to go, I have to reset the entire thing up before I can work. Now Logic Im sure you've seen how it works. It just asks you if it you want to reassign a dead MIDI port. If you tell it to leave it alone, it does absolutely nothing and leaves it in place and it works exactly as it should every time you open it with or without the hardware connected. Same with the interface. It sets it temporarily to the System Output, doesn't mess with any of the settings, and returns to normal next time you turn on your regular interface.

Also asked them if they could PLEEEEEEEEASE (just like that even) let Loop Lock and Snap to 0 be remembered globally. Thats another thing, even if I open a song Ive been working on for a month, I have to go turn off Loop Lock every single time or all my loops just dont play. Have to turn back on Snap to 0 every time too, and often remember this right after Ive started chopping something and wondering why its not locking in heh.
By Bezo Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm
Monotremata wrote:What the hell does Merge Programs do anyways?? Ive been afraid to try it and too lazy to look it up haha.
Very literal. It merges 2 programs. Say you have a program with 1 bank of drum sounds and another with 1 bank of percussion and wanted to sequence drums & percussion on the same track. You'd merge those programs and be able to do so.

Monotremata wrote:I sent in a big list this weekend in regards to the audio/midi settings and stuff not being saved on a per song basis similar to how Logic does it. Say I fire up the MPC Software late at night and can't turn on all my gear and just want to make some drum kits or arrange something, etc.. I get the message to select a new audio device, and on top of that have to reset the sample rate and latency settings. It also drops all the MIDI setup for what it sends clock too. Next time I open it with all of my stuff turned on ready to go, I have to reset the entire thing up before I can work. Now Logic Im sure you've seen how it works. It just asks you if it you want to reassign a dead MIDI port. If you tell it to leave it alone, it does absolutely nothing and leaves it in place and it works exactly as it should every time you open it with or without the hardware connected. Same with the interface. It sets it temporarily to the System Output, doesn't mess with any of the settings, and returns to normal next time you turn on your regular interface.
I get this a lot when going from using my full set up to only needing the Live. PITA!

Monotremata wrote:Also asked them if they could PLEEEEEEEEASE (just like that even) let Loop Lock and Snap to 0 be remembered globally. Thats another thing, even if I open a song Ive been working on for a month, I have to go turn off Loop Lock every single time or all my loops just dont play. Have to turn back on Snap to 0 every time too, and often remember this right after Ive started chopping something and wondering why its not locking in heh.
There's a bunch of this. Humanize and use "only selected", the setting doesn't stick for the entire session. Go to Humanize later and you have to remember to recheck "only selected".

Thanks for the Snap to 0 heads up! I'm just getting into sample editing on this thing.

The very last thing on the mind of the people who coded this was convenience. I've been submitting related suggestions. I REALLY hope they address this stuff. Old MPC heads are probably used to stuff like this. This will get on a new user's nerves very quickly.
By dryad-66 Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:02 pm
f1rst_born wrote:
dryad-66 wrote:Ive just recieved a Ren and using it with 2.5 software.Much prefer it to live/x.Prefere the sound of it..

Hey, what's a Ren?

Its a controller with audio interface ect for the software.Does the trick if you like to use the software and comp.