MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By DeaDeus Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 am
Elektrobolt wrote:I think this is more proof that something is being seriously neglected in Akai-land.... ....There are SO many things that cannot be edited properly, track order, effects order, program order, tempo, time signature, pad mappings, and so on.... ..... In a centerpiece I expect to be able to alter and experiment with what I have made. Tweak rather than "manage".....

Well said!!! I support this!
By 40Beatz Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:54 pm
I believe it takes time to Implement every single desire of ours. When Other DAW's first dropped, i guarantee they re-released and revised Numerous Versions. And it took many DAW companies YEARS to perfect what we're requesting now.
You gotta understand that Akai took a leap by making a Standalone Unit that can compete with Software. Its not perfect but to me, theres no Standalone competition. Software DAWs use the Computer Hardware to process everything. So its a challenge to duplicate that in small box, for a reasonable price.

Open Labs tried that Sh*t years ago...didnt work out too well for them lol.

Akai is basically tryin to accomplish that feat again. But it takes manpower and TIME before it can be perfected. I have faith Akai will Drop a Bomb in the Near future

Hopefully it will address the requests of today....but....we'll request somethin else...

"Pad lights are not dimmable"
"Its Too Loud"
"I want Voice Text to name pads"
"I want Emojis on the keyboard"

:cry: :cry: :(
By Beats_me Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:00 pm
I think alot of the issues people are having,myself included, are workflow issues because we are so used to the old school style of the 2000 or whatever MPC you were used to using.

Most of those old functions are still included in the MPC Live in some regard; like deleting tracks has become clearing, it's a little different, but besides organization, it's functionally the same thing.

I heard other people getting mad about the fact that it is hard to save individual samples without assigning them first to a pad, which is kind of a stupid feature, but it's really simple to save them individually if you assign them first to a kit. You can just clear out the kit afterwards, or get your samples, play around with them, and turn the machine off.

I think a lot of this is just getting used to a new workflow. Don't hate Akai too much. They've done something no one else is doing.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:13 pm
Beats_me wrote:
I heard other people getting mad about the fact that it is hard to save individual samples without assigning them first to a pad, which is kind of a stupid feature, but it's really simple to save them individually if you assign them first to a kit. You can just clear out the kit afterwards, or get your samples, play around with them, and turn the machine off.

On the sample edit page they have a delete sample button, but there's no save sample button. However there is an icon space next to the trash can icon to add it. I agree with the learning the work flow, but for the most part. Akai Pro needs to do a walk through of each page, from users perceptive and tighten things up.

There's lots of small things, that can be added, taken away, or fixed.
By Monotremata Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:29 am
Save Sample is on the "Program" menu in Main Mode.. Click the pencil and its right next to 'Save Current Program' and underneath 'Flatten Pad'.

You guys had me thinking I was crazy, but I knew I saw it on a menu somewhere at one point hah! Guess that still means its needs to be assigned to a program or kit though. Bummer.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:51 am
Monotremata wrote:Save Sample is on the "Program" menu in Main Mode.. Click the pencil and its right next to 'Save Current Program' and underneath 'Flatten Pad'.

You guys had me thinking I was crazy, but I knew I saw it on a menu somewhere at one point hah! Guess that still means its needs to be assigned to a program or kit though. Bummer.

Yeah, but to save the sample you have to assign it to a pad, then then save. However to delete a sample or edit a sample, you don't. They just need to add the option to save the sample, on sample edit page. But it is there. :nod:
By wavejockey Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:02 am
guys, you can save a sample directly from the sampler page - i requested it (and it was added) a year ago - without assigning it first to anything
By 40Beatz Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:17 pm
Hahaha...from the Sampler Page?.....Where?

I dont see it
By frannycas Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:23 am
Yes, you can. Hold delete and press the track selector button of the track you wish to delete (track selector buttons are at the bottom numbered 1-8).
By ace_of_dub Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:47 am
m1ckDELTA wrote:Almost two years later and these same, basic, elementary, functions remain absent.

Could be worse, with the Pioneer Toraiz SP16, you still cannot DELETE SAMPLES from internal storage directly on the device after 6 years... :mrgreen:
By ShengTao Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:37 pm
Would be nice to be able to easily organize tracks and sequences. In the meantime, just start new projects on sequence #10 or track #10. Mentally designate scratch sequences/tracks to a higher #. Later when you delete them they're already out of the way.
By HanHuman Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:11 pm
Elektrobolt wrote:I think this is more proof that something is being seriously neglected in Akai-land. I am referring to the function of editing. There are SO many things that cannot be edited properly, track order, effects order, program order, tempo, time signature, pad mappings, and so on. You can almost always insert and almost always delete (clearing tracks, I mean WTF), but far too many things cannot be edited/changed/moved once in place. For this, Akai (and some users) relentlessly refer to cumbersome workarounds.

What is the point of buying a tool that has to be used with some quirky workaround for many of its intended functions? This one was made to make music (not really to download samples or manage expansion packs, THOSE are features IMO). On the MPC X (in my case) this nearly-no-editing behavior appears to be made by habit, rather than by exception. In a centerpiece I expect to be able to alter and experiment with what I have made. Tweak rather than "manage".

I have to say, of course, that some of the editing capabilities on the other hand is rather exceptional, but those are exceptions, e.g. automation and the step sequencer.

100%, I sometime wonder if anybody at AKAI actually uses these MPCs to make music. That OS seems like a list of features requested by musicians over the years and implemented by programers that never actually made music. The only well thought out elements about that OS is the heritage from Roger Linn and the JJOS. Yea tons of options, functions etc. But is there some people in AKAI house actually using these machines for long periods of time? I doubt it.
By DeaDeus Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:34 pm
HanHuman wrote:
Elektrobolt wrote:....But is there some people in AKAI house actually using these machines for long periods of time? I doubt it.

- Exactly what drives my thoughts for years

- The only thing I hear is: "We've done it always like this...." - so to say: Our TradeMark....
- But times and music changes... The MPCX has a great potential to be a one-and-only in it's segment. The spinoffs (ONE etc.) are great tools, but the MPCX should be better in all aspects - to my opinion.
A one-interface for all sample and mix operations would be a huge step - not to to forget the optimized data management, which is nowadays a complete must!
By MPC-Tutor Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:02 pm
DeaDeus wrote:- The only thing I hear is: "We've done it always like this...." - so to say: Our TradeMark....
- But times and music changes

It's about achieving a balance. A machine like the MPC needs to carve it's own unique way of doing things, otherwise what's the point of using it when you could just use a laptop + controller + daw, like everyone else? Some features of the MPC are archaic by modern standards, but they are what make it a unique music creation experience. Yes modernise it where needed, but don't let the MPC lose its character and charm in the process.